Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tailshifter with a sideshifter mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
The current engine/trans combo I am using is a 1.7/tailshifter

The engine needs has some electrical gremlins and needs service but the trans works well

I wanted to use another engine with this but it is setup with a sideshifter engine mount.

It would be much easier to just yank and switch the trans. and use the other engine but I am not sure if the side shifter engine mount will interfere with the tailshifter unit

any experiences?
rhodyguy
what do you mean by "mount"? the solid outboard(at the ends of the engine bar) mounts? the inboard (rubber ones that attach to the bar) mounts? i can't make heads or tails of your post.

k
cooltimes
If it was me, I would leave the tailshift tranny in the plan and just stick the replacement engine in. If tail shifter is working well for you, why change it? Mine always worked even when I put in a 2.0 way back when.
FYI, General difference is the hole in the front engine support bar and the long shifter rod itself. Can't remember if the cabin section shift rod would need to be changed out.
Hope this answered your question.
Good luck.
lapuwali
The tailshifter mounting bar will swap over to any Type IV engine very easily. Just unbolt it from your old engine and bolt it up to the new one. Indeed, you have to swap the OUTER mounts (at the body) if you're swapping from tail to side-shift mounts, as they're quite different.

I think, but haven't actually tried it, that the tailshifter linkage will hit the side-shift mounting bar.

The tailshifter mounting bar is also a lot lighter than the side-shifter mounting bar...

You will have to remove the fan housing on both engines to make the mounting bar swap.

Finally, what electrical gremlins do you expect to fix by swapping engines?
echocanyons

LOL I knew that was coming James, I am actually gong to pull the engine that is in it and swap the FI harness and also clean all of the connections and look all other components over. I could do this in the car but I want to be thorough.

Also the other engine is carbed, larger and I can determine if is other things like fuel tank, sticking throttle.

I was under the impression that one could swap the bars without removing the fan, this will make this more difficult.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (echocanyons @ Sep 3 2005, 02:22 PM)

LOL I knew that was coming James, I am actually gong to pull the engine that is in it and swap the FI harness and also clean all of the connections and look all other components over. I could do this in the car but I want to be thorough.

Also the other engine is carbed, larger and I can determine if is other things like fuel tank, sticking throttle.

I was under the impression that one could swap the bars without removing the fan, this will make this more difficult.

You CAN swap the bars without pulling the shroud. It's tricky, but you can get to the 4 bolts without too much trouble. I do it all the time. Be sure you use the original flanged bolts, without washers, and get 'em tight. The late mounts won't work with the early bar, and vice versa. The Cap'n
echocanyons
Thanks for the info.

I kind of figured that the sideshifter engine bar wouldnt work with the tailshifter linkage.

I figured out my 'electrical gremlins' it turned out to be a bad MPS, likely a failed aneroid cell according to Anders' info

rhodyguy
swap out to the new motor and make the bar change in reverse. put the early one on the big engine, go with the tailshifter. you have everything you need.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.