Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear reflector question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I have a modified 911 reflector that has the black text and actual reflective backing. Has anyone made a light-up rear reflector? One that lights up when your driving lights/headlights are on? I found 3 DC12V CCFL inverters that I can use back there... maybe make some aluminum mounting brackets, seal them in boxes, heat-shrink the connectors and voila, lighted rear-reflector a-la 944s. How's that sound?
SpecialK
Cool! beerchug.gif

What also might be neat is to have dual illumination so that it gets brighter when the brakes are applied.
Maltese Falcon
Brando - afaik you would need a wider air gap in the lens itself. Since the rear reflector is so sandwich thin, when you insert the lamps- you may just get a Halo of light in that area only. A tail lamp housing uses a large empty area for light to bounce off the reflector and then reflect outwards from the lens. I've seen (your idea) on some lenses sold by Dobi co. back in the 80's, and those had the Halo light effect only. sad.gif
Marty
tat2dphreak
you could put a ton of LEDs behind it to light it, and that would not need the reflector space, or drill more holes for bulbs in the trunk... it can be done... and it will look cool as shit!
SGB
jcwhitney has "strip" leds....
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I allway had the idea to light a rear reflector and change the wording to
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN PASSED BY A PORSCHE 914

or put the lights on a togle switch on the console
to be able to light it by itself.

But LED's seem to me the best idea

Dave slap.gif
SLITS
And while you're in there, you can add neon blue lights in each wheel well and along the longs....but you have to purchase a 5 lb coffee fart can exhaust..........
SpecialK
Since the reflector is so thin, what about using EL (electroluminescent light) strips. No heat, low voltage required, lasts a long time.......not to sure how bright they are though.

http://www.beingseen.com/flatlite.html

I think you can get the lights for the wheel wells and rocker panels there as well. wink.gif lol2.gif
Katmanken
Aw heck....

Just cover the whole back end with a LED grid.

Then you can have it say PORSHCHE or whatever you want as a fixed or scrolling marquois (SP) that you can program to say whateer you want.

Have it say the ever popular "I may be slow but I am ahead of you"...... or

914..... Autocross weapon of champions.... or

"Z gave me his weiner"..... happy11.gif

Ken
Allan
How about one of those scrolling bulletin boards.

When you're at the next A/X it can read "Aaron follow me"...
redshift
Officer.... PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR CAR

TIME: 9:14 TEMP: 190F SPEED: 87 PRESS: 134 FUEL: R
goose2
scrolling billboard thing would be fun....voice activated to translate your comments to followers...."passed by a VW"....."how's my driving dickwad"......"dim your mother f__king lights"....the possibilities are endless laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Howz muh driving?
Dial 800-EAT-SHIT
bondo
TonyAKAVW was working on one. I think he's going to use LEDs. It's one of many projects he'll never finish. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 4 2005, 08:58 PM)
TonyAKAVW was working on one. I think he's going to use LEDs. It's one of many projects he'll never finish. smile.gif

laugh.gif
Brando
QUOTE (bondo @ Sep 4 2005, 07:58 PM)

haha....

I think I'll try the flatlite shtuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.