Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shes running hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Skid
I have been driving my 914 for several months now and have only had a few issues. Luckily, i have had you guys here to help me through all of them. The latest issue is that the car seems to get hot much quicker than it used to. I usually go to work in the morning and come home at night without any trouble, but it seems that every time I drive the car during the hot part of the day ( only 80-90 degrees) it will go for about 30 min and then it just dies. Some times it will give me some warning and will lose power but wont completely kill, it starts sputtering and it requires some babying to keep it running long enough to get it off the road. Other times it will just kill with no warning at all and despite my best efforts will not restart. After sitting for about 30 min I am able to start it up again and go on my way. The thing that confuses me so much is that it doesnt die every time it gets hot, and sometimes it is not even what I would consider that hot. Many times, it is only halfway up the temp gauge in the center console. Like I said, this is a new development, I used to be able to drive to work in the middle of the day when it was 100 degrees outside and have no issues but now I find it hard to trust the car. This next Wednesday I am taking the car to a shop that is familiar with 914's and I would like to tell them a few possible solutions or suggestions if any of you know what might be the cause of the problem.
TravisNeff
carbs or FI? If carbs, what do you got and what distributor are you using?
brp914
If l-jet, my guess is vapor lock - need to relocate fuel pump to front trunk, which the factory did in '75.
Skid
It is a stock FI 1.8.
TravisNeff
Could be vapor lock or a weak fuel pump. The only way that I would think how to test that is to have a pressure guage installed in your FI loop and you can check when it happens next.

For starters you need to make sure your valves are adjusted to spec, dwell (if points) and timing - those things misadjusted can get you running hot in a hurry
Skid
I was going to have the shop play with the valves, timing, etc. I have adjusted the valves myself and I did do it to the specs I was told but they still clatter and I may not have gotten it perfect. I guess I should move the fuel pump, but I first wanted to figure out why it was running so hot. How big of a deal is it to move the fuel pump?
TravisNeff
It is not a hard project in terms of mechanical abilities, but it is a pain in the ass no less. I just did this a couple weeks ago.

I pulled the gas tank, put in steel lines down the tunnel, and I would suggest you replace those lines if you are moving the fuel pump up front. Replaced all the rubber lines with new. Moved the fuel pump under the front splash pan next to the steering rack. I needed shorter fuel pump mounts and I got a pair form McMaster for about 4 bucks each. Moved fuel pump up front, ran a new + wire from the old location through the tunnel up front to the new pump location, and grounded the pump to the chassis with a short line, rather than running a ground wire down the tunnel too.

Tobra
Other Bosch fuel pumps I have had experience with start to make a bit of noise when they are trying to fail, of course they were at the correct end of the car, below the fuel tank.

I have not physically looked at my oil cooler yet, but on a type 1 motor, there are foam seals that keep the air from going around the cooler. Does a 914 have this too? The valves have to be pretty tight to stall an AC vehicle, but can easily keep it from restarting.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Tobra @ Sep 3 2005, 02:03 PM)
Other Bosch fuel pumps I have had experience with start to make a bit of noise when they are trying to fail, of course they were at the correct end of the car, below the fuel tank.

I have not physically looked at my oil cooler yet, but on a type 1 motor, there are foam seals that keep the air from going around the cooler. Does a 914 have this too? The valves have to be pretty tight to stall an AC vehicle, but can easily keep it from restarting.

No.

Check to make sure the flaps are free and not stuck!

Check that the thermostat is working.

Check the timing as over advanced timing will heat up the motor.

hard to figure out long distance. So how hot is it getting? Maybe install a good oil temp gauge and a CHT to really know what is going on.

Check to make sure you aren't running lean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.