Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does the SCCA have a class 914's can run in?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vitamin_ J
hey guys, just signed up.

i'm in the market for a new car after i traded in my '90 Audi Coupe. I've always loved the looks of the 914, and from what i've read it's a real driver's car.

i'm also looking into racing in the SCCA, i was origonally gonna race a Honda or a VW, but then i decided i should see if i can race a 914.

if not i'm still gonna buy one. i've read tons of FAQ's on what to look for, trouble spots, common problems etc. so i'm pretty sure i won't get a bad deal.

but one area confused me. i've read that these machines need a lot of love and car, i'm down with that. i'd love to spend every weekend working on the car. that's not the problem. in my '90 Audi something broke every few months. i'm pretty sure i got ripped off when i bought it. i think they used it for parts (the dealership also had a coupe they raced) and then just threw it back together and sold it to me. well anyway, things broke all the time. before i traded it in at the dealership the tranny wouldn't stay in 2nd, the horn didnt work, the brakes were warped, etc. it did have close to 200k miles.

but anyway, back to the point. i got rid of the audi because it was making me broke fixing so many things all the time. i couldn't work on it myself either because a) i'm not that good past changing oil/spark plugs/general stuff and cool.gif all the computer diagnostic stuff that goes on in modern cars. the repair bills were never less than $400.

if i bought a 914, will i be in a perpetual state of writing checks? i've got a friend who drives a '67 VW Bus. he keeps and extra motor in the back, and says he can do a full swap in under an hour. now, i'm not planning on dropping the engine very often (if at all). but the matenence seems pretty easy and straightforward. would i be wrong to assume that you don't have to be a certified mechanic to work on a 914? as long as i've got some good tools and a manual will i be fine?

as for routine stuff: oil changes, filter replacement, brake pads/rotors is all stuff i'm used to. now i've read that the valves need to be adjusted on these cars. now as long as i have a manual telling me how to i'm fine, but how often is what i'm worried about. if it's a once-a-year thing or even a once-a-month thing than that's cool, but if i'm gonna be doing it every week then i don't think i can keep up with the car and school and work.

well, that was confusing. thanks in advance for helping me out!

i'm gonna be looking for a '73 or '74 2.0L if anyone's lookin to sell.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Vitamin_ J @ Sep 3 2005, 04:33 PM)
i'm also looking into racing in the SCCA...

first, welcome.

what do you mean when you say "race"? if you mean actual wheel-to-wheel racing, there are several classes for 914's.

buy a track car; if you build your own it'll take 3 times as long and 3 time as much money. you will adjust the valves before every race.

if you're ralking about a dual-purpose autocross car, there are classes for that too.

if i bought a 914, will i be in a perpetual state of writing checks?

if you have never prepped and maintained a race car, you betcha.

would i be wrong to assume that you don't have to be a certified mechanic to work on a 914?  as long as i've got some good tools and a manual will i be fine?
yes, but this is true with any car. you get the right tools and the factory workshop manual, and you have a basic mechanical aptitude, take your time, and ask questions, you'll be fine.

but don't make the mistake of thinking anything about these cars, or race prep on ANY car, is going to be cheap.
...if i'm gonna be doing it every week then i don't think i can keep up with the car and school and work.

aha. you're talking about a driver and not a race car.
the service intervals are in the manuals. valve adjustment is typically every-other oil change.
Vitamin_ J
well i figured i'd end up doing everything and paying a lot if i race the thing.

i was talking about wheel to wheel racing.
i'm not exactly sure what i'll be racing yet, so let me ask a few questions.

the alternative to racing a 914 would be to just use it as a daily driver. with everyday use, what would be the cost of owning?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.