Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alchemy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Hi.

Way back long ago, I had a 1973 914 w/2.0 litre engine. I sold it along the way somewhere...

Recently I had a client pay me for services partially in cash, partially with a messy 1973 914 w/ 1.7 litre engine.

This is a long-term project for me, and I have all the time in the world. My plan is to remove the engine/trans from the body, and have all the rusty bits repaired and have the body repainted.

I've never done it, but I would like to take a crack at rebuilding the engine myself. As part of the car, the owner gave me two new cylinders and heads for a 2.0 litre engine. Are these just a bolt on addition? Or is there other stuff I need to change also? Somewhere in the back of my head something is ringnig about cams or something...

I've also looked at engine rebuilders on the web. Hard to know who to trust because everyone says they've cornered the market on perfect rebulding. Any thoughts?

SpecialK
Welcome to the "club"! beer.gif

For the engine rebuild, I recommend getting your hands on one of Jake Raby's videos (aircooled.net). Easy to follow, very detailed.

As for the "rustoration" of the chassis, there are numerous excellent threads on the forum that describe virtually ever rust-repair job. Also check out the "classic threads" section for tons of great info.

Good luck! beerchug.gif
McMark
You need a crank and rods to go with your 2.0 pistons and cylinders. The 2.0 heads won't bolt on 1.7 cylinders. Jake Raby is the best of the best. Steve Stromberg is someone who shouldn't get the time of day. Everyone else is in between.
Jake Raby
No market cornering here, but I have shut down a few competitors along the way... And made some others start working on cars with radiators to keep the doors open..

If you want it right, have a few bucks to spend and can wait a few months for a result- call me.
URY914
You have come to the right place for all your needs.

If you need a part, someone here has several.

If you have a question, you'll get an answer with full color pictures.

And you live in a 914 rich area wink.gif

Welcome,

Paul

Rand
Welcome to the club!

I'm in Bothell. Would like to meet you and your car some time. I'm in rustoration mode too. I'm going about it the hard way... engine in, keeping it a regular driver during the process.

Quite a few 914 clubbers around Seattle now!
smilie_pokal.gif
rjames
So how many greater seattleite 914 owners do we have here? Quite a few by the looks of things. I'm gearing myself up for brake work, fuel tank/line inspection (bad gas smells coming from the drivers side pedal area and under the hood) and of course the manditory hell hole corrosion clean-up. Luckily the area doesn't look toooo bad (at least from first inspection.
While I'm trying to do most repairs myself (and have so far) I'd love someone to point me in the direction of somebody who can help with fixing the battery area.

My girlfriend has pointed out that there's no way to drive around with the top off the car in winter while wrapped in a ski parka, scarf and mittens, and look cool at the same time. I beg to differ. chair.gif
messix
i'm up here millcreek/snohomish area. still driving with the roof off
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.