Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 3.6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rattlsnak
Hey, im looking to put a 993 3.6 motor into a 914. If anybody has done that, was there any clearance issues with the eng cover hitting the top of the intake? I know that the 3.0, 3.2s will fit with carbs, but wasnt sure about the 3.6 with stock intake, etc..

Thanks
xitspd
QUOTE (rattlsnak @ Sep 3 2005, 01:30 PM)
Hey, im looking to put a 993 3.6 motor into a 914. If anybody has done that, was there any clearance issues with the eng cover hitting the top of the intake? I know that the 3.0, 3.2s will fit with carbs, but wasnt sure about the 3.6 with stock intake, etc..

Thanks

Contact 914RS, Joe O'brien. He has done it! ohmy.gif By the way, a 3.6 with (6) 50MM Webers fits as well.
Brando
I believe it will fit with the intake runners and FI stuff as well. The decklid may have trouble closing but you can modify it maybe...

If you do get a 3.6, get a late 993 motor with varioram smile.gif
McMark
I have a non-VarioRam 3.6 that I'll be test fitting with the stock FI next week sometime. wink.gif
Marv's3.6six
Varioram engine to tall to fit with stock engine lid. ohmy.gif It will not fit without doing something non stock looking to the engine cover lid, I've seen an install and it looked like caca.

I went with 95 euro 3.6, non vario. BTW Vario (OBD2) engines are quite expensive to chip!

McMark sez: I have a non-VarioRam 3.6 that I'll be test fitting with the stock FI next week sometime. Its been done many times, Jim Patrick has all the goodies needed to make it slip in jus' fine. Patrick Motorsports 993 3.6 Conversion stuff.
rattlsnak
So, Marv, you have a 993 3.6 installed now?? with no clearance issues? I didnt think the vario motors were much, if any, taller than the non vario ones.

McMark, please keep me posted!
Marv's3.6six
So, Marv, you have a 993 3.6 installed now?? Nope, car is all apart now, I put my tub on a rotissere today.

The 964/993 transplant has been done a bunch especially by PMS, I talked with Timmins but went with Patrick due to his extensive 914 experience.

Here are a couple pics of 914 race car from GAF last year, while its an awesome car, I don't like what the owner had todo to make the Varioram fit.

BTW aren't you Rattlsnak from the bird board with that beautiful green RS replica?
Marv's3.6six
I thought alot about installing the Vario motor, but the fit required too much cutting to get the intake Varioram stuff to fit! rolleyes.gif
Mueller
from the looks of that one picture, it looks like you could easily cut and shorten the runners at least an inch or more for clearance....I doubt you'd even notice the change of the torque or hp curve...
Andyrew
Looks to me like the trouble area is the Throttle body, not the runners themselves.

I'd just go no engine lid... looks sick.....

Andrew
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 3 2005, 11:39 PM)
Looks to me like the trouble area is the Throttle body, not the runners themselves.

I'd just go no engine lid... looks sick.....

Andrew

you might be right...well, then just install the intake from a 964 3.6 on it....if I'm right, you'll also save about 10 pounds with the 964 parts (plastic)
Marv's3.6six
you might be right...well, then just install the intake from a 964 3.6 on it.... Then its no longer a varioram. sad.gif

Looks to me like the trouble area is the Throttle body, and you could easily cut and shorten the runners at least an inch or more for clearance.... Looked into those things too, I felt ideally you could reverse the whole vario intake, jus rotate 180 degrees, (easily done on non vario 964/993 intakes) that would put the MAF & air filter in front by the fan......... but upon closer inspection that is not possible without some engineering beyond my $$ scope. wacko.gif
rattlsnak
>>BTW aren't you Rattlsnak from the bird board with that beautiful green RSR replica?<<

Why, yes I am..

But Im looking to build a 914 hotrod...

xitspd
ohmy.gif Paging, Mr. Joe O'Brien!
Mueller
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Sep 4 2005, 07:27 AM)
you might be right...well, then just install the intake from a 964 3.6 on it.... Then its no longer a varioram.

in a heavy car such as a 911, I could see wanting or needing the increased torque at the lower to mid rpms (at 5K and above, they are about even)......

i have a '91 3.6 964 (heavy car !!!!) and the stock torque and HP is plenty to break loose my 255's burnout.gif

the same motor in a 914 would be perfect as is MDB2.gif
rattlsnak
Im leaning towards a non vario, as in 95 3.6. The 993 3.6s are really a much better motor than the 964 3.6. Plus they are @ 30 more HP. I'll make it fit somehow!
goose2
clap.gif that's the spirit!
Series9
Here you go:
xitspd
ohmy.gif Joe's engine compartment grille looks stock fromn the rear!
Marv's3.6six
Note that Joe flipped the intake around so the throttle body, MAF and air filter are in front. biggrin.gif
McMark
Thanks for all the info in this thread. wink.gif Good stuff so far.

FYI,
To make this:
It will look like this.

This is what I typed:
CODE
[quote]It will look like this.[/quote]
redshift
Rattlesnake, your car needs lowering... I guess you could flare it more... or shave the tires..

smile.gif

Oh, and Joe, your car needs nothing... you are such a good boy.

M
John
I was going to say, can't you turn the intake 180 degrees (all intake runners etc.), but it looks like Joe showed that exact thing.

Just my $0.02
rattlsnak
>Rattlesnake, your car needs lowering... I guess you could flare it more... or shave the tires..<

What??

Cant go but maybe a 1/2" lower at best.

Anyway, thanks for the photos. I am now on a quest to stuff a 3.6 into a 914!!

What trans are you guys using? 901? or 915?
xitspd
QUOTE (rattlsnak @ Sep 5 2005, 03:28 PM)
>Rattlesnake, your car needs lowering... I guess you could flare it more... or shave the tires..<

What??

Cant go but maybe a 1/2" lower at best.

Anyway, thanks for the photos. I am now on a quest to stuff a 3.6 into a 914!!

There are two schools of thought on the 901 or the 915 question. I had a trick short geared 901 with a 904 mainshaft and LSD sitting around. If you use a 901, you better plan on a heavy duty transmission oil cooler, Tilton transmission pump and a internal gear spraybar. If I had it all to do over I might use one of the two mag 915's I have in my garage.
Marv's3.6six

915 here: close ratios, 930 synchros, Factory LSD, Velios side shifter, Custom build by PMS.

From what I hear lotsa torque and 901's are not a healthy mix.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.