Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Overall 911 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
first, how is cooling with these cars? Do these engines drop valve seats like the t4 does?

second, which engine is considered a good buy ( not too much, widely available, and reliable)

i'm just gathering information for what will eventually be a transplant...
URY914
Here we go again.... rolleyes.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 3 2005, 09:08 PM)
first, how is cooling with these cars? Do these engines drop valve seats like the t4 does?

second, which engine is considered a good buy ( not too much, widely available, and reliable)

i'm just gathering information for what will eventually be a transplant...

they kept getting better thru the years, so you want the latest model you can afford with the least amount of miles....

redshift
3.2 stroker with MFI.

M
Jeroen
I don't think I ever heard about a 911 engine dropping valve seats

In a nutshell...

2.4 and smaller... watch for general wear, these engines are getting old

2.7 - known for pulled head studs

3.0 SC - pretty much bullet proof (bottom end of the 911 turbo), although lately, I've heard of a few with pulled headstuds as well

3.2 - same bottom end as the 3.0, but watch for valveguide wear comes with EFI and hydraulic chain tensioners

3.6 - early versions (up to 91 IIRC) are known to have oil leakage trouble at the cilinderbase (requires a full teardown to fix)

Keep in mind that rebuilding a 2.0 costs about as much as rebuilding a 3.6
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 4 2005, 12:08 AM)
first, how is cooling with these cars?
Do these engines drop valve seats like the t4 does?

fine; over about 200HP you'll need a front oil cooler.
no.
they are all reliable.
i'd hold out for an aluminum-case 2,8RSR with high-butterfly injection.
but for the criteria you mentioned, it's hard to beat the 3,0 SC.
TimT
best overall 911 engine?

they would be the few that I built w00t.gif
Aaron Cox
britt, i think you need a CA 75/76 2.7 motor with thermal reactors wink.gif lol2.gif
bd1308
aaron:

if i've learned one thing on this board, i've learned that thermal reactors placed on 911 engines was one of the worst ideas ever...led to mucho uber heat in the engine compartment that subsequently led to engines with reduced life-spans.
zymurgist
Didn't they also combine the thermal reactors with a 7 blade engine fan that moved less air around the engine? Those motors were designed to have a short life due to excessive heat.
redshift
Well, who got Rudy's motor? (Otto's 3.HOLYSHIT RSR)

That is the motor you want, and I have connections. wink.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Sep 5 2005, 09:08 AM)
Didn't they also combine the thermal reactors with a 7 blade engine fan that moved less air around the engine? Those motors were designed to have a short life due to excessive heat.

5. i have one, purchased at a ridiculously low price (especially compared to the cost of a new 11-blade fan) to replace the OEM fan on my 2,2 that had its drive hub chewed up by DAPO's use of too few adjustment shims...

i believe that in combination with the proper crankshaft pulley (there are at least 3 ratios from which to choose) that it will provide adequate cooling, require less power to run, and increase alternator speed for more power at low rpm. i haven't tested it tho, so i advise caution if contemplating this. however, there are a LOT of 5-blade fans sitting in people's spares piles...

i don't agree they were designed tohave a short life, but i agree that was the reasonably foreseeable consequence of the other design decisions.

BTW - only CA cars had the worst-case combinations of fan, reactore, and other stuff (EGR? air pump?). this was the era of the CA + 49-State car.

the engine i'm retrofitting into my '71 is a 49-state '75 2,7S; it has an 11-blade fan, no sign of air injection, and AFAIK (short exhaust port studs) no thermal reactors. since that was 30 years and at least one rebuild ago, some of these things could have been changed, of course...

i haven't decided what fan i'll run it with...
Jeroen
from what I learned, the 5 blade fan moves just as much air as the 11 blade fan
the reason they went back to 11 blade is that the 5 blade is more noisy
ArtechnikA
i'd need to see your source on that one, especially since they went back to the 11-blade fan for the cat cars (in the face of increasingly stringent noise regulations). they did play around with pulley ratios a lot.
Sammy
3 liter with the dilavar lower head studs replaced with steel.
Bulletproof and in most cases good for several hundred thousand miles.
Jeroen
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 5 2005, 02:41 PM)
i'd need to see your source on that one

IIRC, it was quoted from Paul Frere's book on the Bird BBS
airsix
Best 911 engine? I'd have to go with the GT-1 derived engine in the current GT3.

-Ben M.
jd74914
2.2S most power per lter from the factory
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 5 2005, 05:48 PM)
2.2S most power per lter from the factory

906 motor...
220 HP from 2L
Maltese Falcon
Hey, don't bash thermal reactors ('75-'77 2.7's) the reactor replacement (shorty headers) made me beaucoup rich in the late '70s laugh.gif
The best 911 engine , and coolest running is this one --my CHT's dropped 75 f --top fan VS front fan.
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.