Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaned my tranny with EZ-Off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I had always used Gunk engine cleaner and hated the smell of that crap. I read here about guys using EZ-Off oven Cleaner and it's lemony fresh smell. It not only smells good but it works better. I sprayed it on about 4 times until the can was gone. Hosed it off between applications. No oily film left over. It also seems to etch the aluminum to give it a sorta dull finish.

I give it two thumbs up. aktion035.gif

URY914
It also takes off the paint over spray.

Can I use it on my dogs? idea.gif

TimT
now you just have to get some oil on the tranny so the case doesnt oxidize w00t.gif
scottb
if i recall, ez-off has lye in it which eats aluminum. sure looks nice but i don't know if i would want something to eat away at my case. just my $.02.....
jim_hoyland
Can the case be powder coated without affecting it's cooling ability ?

I saw several tranny cases being powder coated at a local place; however, I've been told by other 914 owner that our cases cannot be coated.

Any feedback will be appreciated
URY914
QUOTE (scottb @ Sep 4 2005, 05:40 AM)
if i recall, ez-off has lye in it which eats aluminum. sure looks nice but i don't know if i would want something to eat away at my case. just my $.02.....

Washing it off with the hose should take care of that.
Allan
So the 901 tranny case is not magnesium?
bd1308
the tranny's are magnesium....

left uncoated, little speckles will form all over the tranny case....I witnessed this when I did my engine swap....

i dunno what people use to coat thier tranny's in though.
rhodyguy
if you've seen the movie "Fight Club", you would know that vinegar neutralizes the caustic nature of lye. i used Oil Eater on my trans yesterday. it worked well also.

k
bd1308
ohmy.gif I've seen that scene....

it looked real bad.
morph
yep oven cleaner works awsome.I use it all the time.
james
J P Stein
It will also take anodize off wheels...+ some scotch brite.
Trekkor
mine after GUNK and water.

KT
sean_v8_914
99c store imitation easy off did not work well. I sprayed mine w wd40 when I was done. this keeps teh white fuzz from growing
pete-stevers
The reccomendation is not to paint? idea.gif thats to bad....and wire polishing is a waste as well due to the oxidization afactor?? idea.gif any painted boxes out there? idea.gif
Porsche Rescue
This one is painted silver. I got it that way. Has chipped here and there but overall paint is sticking pretty good. I was taking pic of engine so not the best shot of the tranny.
Katmanken
I'd mix up some baking soda and water and spray that tranny after the oven cleaner. Baking soda neutralizes BOTH acids and bases to a neutral PH. Mag can corrode faster than you can believe.

I keep boxes of baking soda in the garage to use for a lot of things.

Painted my tranny with a zinc chromate primer as the zinc is more reactive than the mag and is a recommended sacrificial coating for the mag. Thin coat of silver paint on it too.

Ken

SLITS
Mine was painted blue.....

I believe that Zinc/Chromate based coatings were banned or severly restricted in the "Tree Hugger States". Only the Feds are allowed to use it.
redshift
There is a creme, it's a facial grade creme, made in Iowa, in the valley of the jolly green giant, in a little hollow tree.

Living in this tree are a family of elves, the Keeblers. These elves are connected (by mandate of house resolution S-4559) to machines, that pump their essence out.

That elven creme can be used to prevent scaling on magnesium.

M
eric914
Zinc Chromate Primer is available from aircraft supply stores. Try Aircraft spruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.