Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mid engine ghia w/air shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
I was sitting next to this Ghia today at a car show. I kept looking over and figured that he had some extremly big NOS bottles in the back and guessd that maybe there was a V8 or V6 in the rear seat area.
Well I went over and looked at the detail board in front of the car, and learned that it was an 1856 cc VW motor. So I go to the back and look closely and the owner tells me that the tanks are Scuba air tanks and it shifts with air pressure and toggle switches.
He told me all about how he tried the cable shifter, and when he saw how they shifted the F1 cars he came up with this idea. So I told him that a 914 would be a perfect candidate for this air shifting. Rear trunk for the Scuba tanks. Plus you could use the early tailshifter transmissions.
He told me that he gets about 3300 shifts before he has to go to the Dive shop and get the tanks filled.

The toggles between the seats act as the shift levers. I mentioned that you could mount them on the steering wheel, he said he may convert to that later.
CCLINPADDLEME
boxstr
The brass rods below the air bottles are the shift rods. The white hoses ar efor the air to the one way valves and to the shift rods.
He says that he never locks the car, because no one could figure out how to drive off in the car. Well he told me so I guess I could if I wanted to. No I don't want to.
CCLINSEAHUNT
Allan
That trunk looks like something NASA put together if they were told to launch another Apollo moon lander using a Ghia as the rover...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.