Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sticky gas pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdijoe
Hello, sticky gas pedal...any suggestions appreciated ...thanks Joe
Allan
Lube the ball socket under the pedal and the TB...
redshift
rolleyes.gif

Try Windex?

Explain all the things leading up to it being sticky, starting with the last moment before you noticed it being sticky.

M
jdijoe
suggestioins on what to use to lube the ball socket and what is the TM? thanks
redshift
Throttle Body

Have you reattched a cable lately?

M
jdijoe
no ..nothing at all..it seems to have been developing over the last 2 weeks..I have had it out maybe 5 times...no particular reason for the stickiness...
redshift
Cable may be freying, you should 'want' to consider having a spare handy.

M
Allan
You can reach under the pedal and pull it up off of the rod. Put a little grease (General purpose) in the cup and re-attach. As for the throttle body, you can shoot some aerosol lube into the pivot points for the flapper?

And, keep a spare cable handy...
Elliot_Cannon
I had a sticky peddle a few months ago. Shot some lube down the throttle cable housing and sticky pedal went away. Always carry a spare throttle cable.
Cheers, Elliot
jasons
The pivot-hinge at the base of the pedal can rust also. To lube it, you may have to take it out and cut the rubber at the base of the pedal.
Sparky
Try Gas Pedal Lube, it's almost as hard to find as blinker fluid but eaasier to install biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
One of the most common causes of rusty pedal hinges is: brake fluid. Pop the linkage off the back of the throttle pedal; if the pedal is still sticky then check the floor pan for rust and paint that is failing. Then check your master cylinder for leaks.

--DD
sean_v8_914
to remove teh gas pedal it is only two 10mm bolts at teh base of teh pedal, then pop the ball lever out of the back of the pedal. this will allow you to determine if teh fault is in teh cable
If you AX, a smooth operating throttle is very important for car control
jdijoe
thanks to all who responded..i lubed the TB but no real difference although it did feel a little better..I ran out of time this weekend but will try and work on the pedal and the lube points from there..i will post to let all you know how it went.....thanks jdijoe
jdijoe
Hello All, just got back from the "Bug Shopp" (local VW/Porsche guy) and had new accelorator cable installed :...wow does she run great ..I did not realize what I had been missing in terms of performance and driveability...the cable was not freyed or rusted but had a strange kink in it that was beyond fixing...so on with the new and out with the old...I appreciate everyones advice...joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.