Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT bumper install Q's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Has anyone come up with a quick and easy way to adjust the GT style bumpers?

There are 4 bolts attaching the bumper to the car and another 4 adjusting the bumper on it's mounting plate. The issue is the 4 adjusting bolts are a real pain to get to. You can only get to one side of whil ethe bumper is on the car.

Since you need the bumper on the car to adjust it correctly how do I tighten the bolts.

My thought was to get the adj bolts mostly tight so when I adjust the bumper it will hold its position????

Cheers
Kerry
Qarl
Can you get to them through the foglight grille holes?
serge914
Do you have any pic ? I am planning to install those also

Thanks
maf914
Kerry,

Could you tell us who makes the bumpers you are using? Are these by Getty, since their web site shows brackets that go together as you're describing? How is the quality? Shape, fit, trueness? Thanks.

Mike
Kerrys914
You can only get to one side of the bracket from the fog light openings, that's the issue. I need to have access to the other side to hold the nut from turning???

I am not sure of the manufacturer of the bumpers. I'll do some looking around and see what I can find out

Cheers
Kerry
URY914
Can you post a picture?

I screwed my bolts into the back side of the bracket so they stick out toward the car. Can you do this?

Paul
maf914
With the brackets off the car, you could have the nuts welded to the blind side, then thread the bolts in from the fog light opening side.

Or, glue the nuts and serated lock washers into position using an epoxy or JB weld. This may hold well enough for the lock washers to bite while tightening the bolts.

Or maybe you could switch to some type of riv-nut to capture the threaded portion in one of the brackets.

Or, could you bolt the brackets together with a snug, but not tight fit, then bolt to the car, push and pull the bumper into position, unbolt from car, then tighten the brackets completely? (If I am visualizing the process correctly.)

Or, drill (eek!) a hole from the front or rear to allow a small box-end wrench to reach the nut and bracket.

Mike
URY914
It sounds like your bumpers have brackets that are diff than mine.

How about a nut with the plastic insert (nylock) in it so you can tighten up enuff to hold it in place?

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.