Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The New England 9/14 Get-Together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
Over the weekend, one of the club members asked if I was going to be holding another get-together like I did last September. My wife was standing next to me. Without saying a word, I looked over at her. She immediately said, “Why not?” so I started planning. This year, I decided to leverage another event that had been planned.

I’ve been working behind the scenes to get a few things arranged and things are coming along well. But, I’ve gotten to the point where I could use some input. All of these things will take place in Connecticut, approximately halfway between Hartford and Danbury. Here are the things that are definite at this point:

Saturday, September 13
There is a Swap Meet and Car Show scheduled to be held in Burlington, CT. Click here for information. I’ve already arranged with the event organizers to have a reserved “914 only” area. This will allow us to line-‘em-up and make the taildraggers and water-pumpers jealous of our fine automobiles. Now, my first question:

Would there be interest in having something like a People’s Choice Concours?

Next question:

This would be the perfect opportunity to arrange a meal at one of the local establishments. I’m sure that I could find one that serves Iced Tea as well as other liquid refreshments.

Would you prefer a lunch get-together during the day, or would you like to meet for dinner after the meet?

Sunday, September 14
There will definitely be an autocross. I’ll give details on this later after all of the other items have been decided.

So, here is where we stand right now.

Saturday
  • Swap Meet
  • Car Show
  • Concours ??
  • Lunch or Dinner ??
Sunday
  • Autocross
Please give me your input. Remember, you don’t need to come for both days, or participate in all of the events. Once everything is decided, we’ll have a website up for registration.
ejm
The penguin's back and a GTG too!! Your da man Paul. beerchug.gif

I'm in for Saturday but two days may be hard to pull off one week after the East Coast Ramble and two weeks after the Vintage Festival at Lime Rock. But I'll try. wink.gif

I think a mid-day GTG would be better, people with a long trip will want to head out early.

And a concours with 914's? Sure, lemme go find the Q-tips. rolleyes.gif
nomore4
Nice time of the year for a drive up that way. I'm going to try and make it. Can you post these dates on the Events Calendar page ?

joe
dmilzoff
I would be interested in any event (only one day for me though) were I can meet and talk to other 914 owners. Autocross would be great but it would take a complete day. Count me in for one day. Car show, autocross personal favorites.
Dave
914-6
Westchester, NY
Randel
I'll try to make it for a Saturday get-together.

-Randel
mskala
Paul,
I've known about the swap meet and had been planning to come to that.
Would be great if there were another get-together more on the social and/or
tech-talk level. Based on luck and not going to the ECR, I'm going to be
trying for the weekend with the spouse in the 914. I wouldn't be really into
an autocross there, but would hang out there or maybe drive 'er slow on
the street tires for giggles.
Part Pricer
I wanted to resurrect this thread to give everyone an update.

After I posted this topic, I got a lot of feedback directly from people. Here is what I heard most often:
  • It is too close to the ECR.
  • I’m in for one day, not two.
  • I’m not going to hang around all day to go out to dinner.
  • Sounds like it could be fun, but I really don’t like you.
With those responses in mind, I set out to see what we could do that may be appealing to everyone. Then, a big monkey wrench got thrown in. The disorganized event organizers for the 9/13 Swap Meet came back and told me that for us to have an area set aside for 914s would cost us $10 a car. I said, "Excuse me...?? How much is parking if we don't do it in an organized manner?" Their response, "We're not really sure. But we think it will be $1 a car." With that, I decided to scrap the plans for an organized parking/show area.

I’m going to go to the swap meet anyway. If nothing else, it will be a nice drive in the country. So, here is what I would propose. Everyone either pack a picnic lunch or run out and get some KFC and meet at one of the picnic areas at 1:00pm. I'll see what I can do about informally reserving some picnic tables. Sound good??

Also, for those that may be interested, the Fairfield County Sports Car Club has an autocross scheduled for that Sunday, September 14th. I asked John Williamson (the F.C.S.C.C president) about inviting 914 owners to the 9/14 AX in Waterbury, he said sure. He'd love to see it. I’m planning at being at the AX. Let me know if you might want to show up for that.
ArtechnikA
i donno. it's on my calendar... Saturdays a tech day at a local dealer i need to attend if the car's going to Pocono at the end of September - but i think we're gonna cancel that. i do have stuff i'd like to move at a swap meet but it's all too big for the 911 and i'm disinclined to bring two cars. the autocross sounds like fun and the new brakes and tires should be nicely run in from the trip to ECR and back...

story of my life - can't commit - love to come up but it's too early to know what's possible.
ynotdd
On October 25 &26 the Zone 1 autocross will be at Tobay Beach, Long Island, NY Is anyone going? Hope to see a big turn out of 914's. Hope to see you all Tony

73 914 2.0 signal orange
beerchug.gif chowtime.gif
Brad Roberts
When is the east coast ramble ?? I havent heard a damn thing about it.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2003, 10:09 AM)
When is the east coast ramble ?? I havent heard a damn thing about it.

B

i guess ya hafta be in the Secret Inner Circle ...

September 5-7.

Ralf Hartmann is co-chair - mailto:info@myhelpnet.com should get you information. rooms were at something of a premium last i heard.

Joy and i will be there in the taildragger...
Brad Roberts
DOH! wont make that one.

Yeah.. here is to the secret inner circles finger.gif I can think of 2 914 groups with "inner circles" One is in Texas and the other is in the Northeast...

We created another one right here... 1000 some odd members (we dont discriminate..except Alfred)

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2003, 10:20 AM)
DOH! wont make that one.

Yeah.. here is to the secret inner circles finger.gif I can think of 2 914 groups with "inner circles" One is in Texas and the other is in the Northeast...

i was looking for an animated smiley for that response, and when i couldn't find one that seemed appropriate, i forgot to put in my traditional text based ':-)' smiley ...

this year's ECR has been a little strange, donno why exactly. not much publicity beyond the list of prior attendees - and of course, the umpteen-thousand subscribers to the RennList 914 group, but i understand you choose to ignore them [ insert another appropriate smiley here... ]

this year there was no website, only a few informational postings. something like 25 people in approximately half as many cars. nice VT resort location. we actually had the discussion of times and places in an earlier thread - originally started out labelled something else, transitioned briefly into Jean (Jaon?) in Maine looking for a car...

it's not (still) completely what we'll be doing there, other than the usual eating and drinking too much, with a scenic drive. no show & shine, no autocross, no rallye, no "events" or "activities" in any traditional sense of the word near as i can tell.

mostly iwe're attending so i can meet up with some of the northeast people i've known through the email lists, and so Joy can get some time in and around some 914's - especially 6's - so she'll get into the spirit of things and stop calling my car "that evil yellow car" ... i'm guessing a little time in Dunkle's car will enlighten her some :-) ...

but the [W]Rambles have always been a Rennlist-oriented thing. you've managed to attract a significant number of people, many of whom are only here now.

LKB and CD have been cross-posting MUSR information here. i think there is the "perception" on the East Coast that the 914Club is a "West Coast-oriented" group like RoadGlue (which this board has also pretty much decimated...). i'll do what i can to dispel some of that impression once i get up there.
Brad Roberts
Good info Rich. Thanks for laying it out.

Actually the Rambles where being held long before Rennlist... we just used it to spring board a few more events.

Its too bad people think in (east coast/west coast).

I have said it many times.. I dont use Rennlist because you cant post pics...

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2003, 10:51 AM)
Actually the Rambles where being held long before Rennlist... we just used it to spring board a few more events.

Its too bad people think in (east coast/west coast).

if i understand the chronology, the ECR was the first 914-oriented gathering like what has gone on to become Rambles, with a bunch of people in the Dunkle circles.

people always think regionally, and for good reason - we just can't pick up and attend an event 3000 mi away as often as we'd like. some of the SIG's have exactly one big event a year - like the 912 people and the 968 groups. PCA National has just the one National Parade - and they've managed to maintain the exclusivity cachet that makes it a "destination" event. even so - attendence is proportional to distance travelled, which is why they move 'em around. i think it's good that there's an ECR and a MUSR and i wich it had been possible to establish more critical mass for a West Coast event. "maybe next year" - it seems to happen in even-numbered years ...

it occurs on a north-and-south basis too - a fact that i think you'll see reflected in attendance at the Hershey Swap Meet next year - or lack thereof. i'd been making plans to attend that in a big way. but with the RennSport Reunion the same weekend ? sorry - choices - i'll be at Daytona ...

there's a fundamental perceptual basis on distance too -- people "out west" (and i'll include TX in this) thiink nothing of travelling 500-1000 mi for a weekend event - because you can - the highway system allows it. travel is just way different here in the Northeast...
Brad Roberts
The first "event" for the clubs was back in 1996 here in Ca... then again in 1997/98 when it became the Mid US Ramble and its been MUSR since then.

I guess the east coast could have been holding events before that... I didnt have much web access until 96.

Interesting point about the travel issues. People here in Ca. piss and moan about traveling 1 hour. I dont even think about driving to Texas from SF.. I just do it.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2003, 10:51 AM)
I have said it many times.. I dont use Rennlist because you cant post pics...

B

Me too. The section where you can post pics is...or was....almost unused. The only way to fix that would be to eliminate the mailing lists..... I do miss Krusty, tho.
Brad Roberts
I wish Krusty would join up here and participate. He kept me inline.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 27 2003, 03:31 PM)
I wish Krusty would join up here and participate. He kept me inline.

you know how to reach him...

but i think he won't for the same reasons i find the BBS model tiresome - you've gotta wade through stuff to find topics of interest. the beauty of the email 'push' technology is that you don't have to go find stuff - it comes to you. if it's not interesting - delete...

the email notification feature here is great - a big improvement over BBS's of olde. but you've still gotta wade through the listings of posts to find a topic you care to subscribe to.

my job keeps me in from of a computer many hours a day - it's no big deal, really. John's job keeps him with a wrench in his hand working on customer cars all day, and it's more difficult to keep up. i'm pretty sure his shop at least has reasonably fast Internet access - lots of Ross-Tech's customer shops do not have INet access anywhere on the premesis...
Rusty
The disorganized event organizers for the 9/13 Swap Meet came back and told me that for us to have an area set aside for 914s would cost us $10 a car. I said, "Excuse me...?? How much is parking if we don't do it in an organized manner?" Their response, "We're not really sure. But we think it will be $1 a car." With that, I decided to scrap the plans for an organized parking/show area.

That's a real shame that they'd try to pull some crap like that. I bet if it was 356s that wanted to park together, they'd be falling all over themselves to set up a parking area for free.

I hope that reads this.

CVR-PCA.... finger.gif
Rusty
Yeah, I was really used to the "push" format of Rennlist, too. Also, I could keep good individual messages archived in a folder in Outlook.

Once I got used to using the down-arrow button to go to new messages, that made using the bbs a lot easier.

Every now and then I log in, and it seems like the cookies do something funny. All the messsage threads are "greyed out", showing that I've read them - when I know darned well I haven't.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.