Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help w/ the steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
okay, i've got the ignition 'key module' thing out, and i can see the steering lock, but i cannot for the life of my figure out how to get it out.

the lock is the tab in the main bore to the right. with the key is turned to the 'run' position, the locking tab recesses into the bore to let the shaft turn freely. it almost looks like the whole mechanism could be drifted out to the left, but i've tired this to no avail. any advice?

car is a '75

thx beerchug.gif
Jeroen
icon_bump.gif
Dave_Darling
Cut the mother off. I know of people who have disabled the steering wheel lock on their race car by setting the lock, and then yanking the wheel really hard, breaking the lock tab.

--DD
SirAndy
well, they must have gotten it in there somehow ...

smash.gif Andy
r_towle
it looks to me like you need to take out the key switch part to get the mechanism unhooked from the key...

I would look at taking that part out,,I know it comes out with a sliding hammer, but that ends its life...

I am sure there is a better way...

Rich
SirAndy
never had a '75 column apart, so i'm not really of any use here, but just to poke.gif ya a bit more, on both, my original '70 column and the replacement '74 column all that stuff came apart fairly easy ...

smash.gif Andy
nebreitling
okay, got it finished.

i actually did have the key module out in that pic. anyhow, you just have to hit the motherfucker HARD. i took a narrow screw driver through the clamped side right on the tab and beat the living crap out of it. popped out. reassembled w/out that pesky part, works good.

i would NOT recommend breaking the piece off ala dave's racer friends. seeing how the mechanism works, it is possible that with a loose piece in there, the steering could become locked at a really 'bad' time...

thanks for the bump, thanks for the replies beerchug.gif
Krieger
Hey, I just did this to my 75, it is quite easy to remove permanantly, and not destructively. On the outside of the casting there are four indentations near the edges of a square plate at the other end of the lock pin. Get a dremel tool and grind into these indentations and along the edges. Do a little then on the inside of the assembly with a hammer and punch try to gently tap it out. if it doesnt go grind more and try again. It shouldnt take that much. Permanant reassembly should be tig welded or maybe if you get it to snap in an out just right-epoxy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.