Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a Teener?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I was just thinking. Many of us (er, mostly YOU guys) know what to look for. You know how to identify good cars, where to look for rust, and the like. I was thinking we could/should put together a list of things to look for and perhaps add it to the classic threads for future reference of "newbies" to come. What do you guys think?
Rand
How to buy a 914
914 FAQ
lapuwali
The PP guide isn't bad, but a better job could be done. For one, I'd have a LOT more on finding rust. I'd have pictures of the areas that need to be checked. I'd also rank rust areas on repairability. Floor replacement, for example, is a reasonable DIY job. Hell-hole repair, however, often requires a body jig to fix correctly. One could easily read the PP article and think that a rusted battery tray isn't so bad, when it's often fatal.

Also, at this age, cars rarely have all of the correct equipment anymore, and that really only matters to people who intend to show the car (which, at present, is almost no one, but that may change in a few years). The heavy emphasis in their article on what's in what year is, therefore, not as useful as it seems. There are PLENTY of good '72 914s with a 2.0 and a sideshifter in them, for example. Various "options" like consoles, fogs, alloys, etc., are frequently added by owners well after the fact. It would be helpful to mention what's likely to be missing, like blower motors. I'd also distinguish between a single carb and dual carb setups. The former is pretty much always bad, and not only indicates a PO was giving up on the FI, but that the PO was also excessively cheap. Duals aren't always bad, nor are they often a sign of a "racing motor".

The article is also wrong wrt to the smog stuff. It's technically illegal to install carbs on ANY road-going 914 in all 50 states. It's only ENFORCED in California and Arizona, and only for '76 cars in CA.
SLITS
Chapter One

Page One

Paragraph One

DON'T

smile.gif
Carlitos Way
Wow... I really thought more people would care to share their knowledge on this. I guess I overestimated.
redshift
Don't buy a nice car.

Don't pay alot.

Color change is ok.

biggrin.gif

M
Crazyhippy
beerchug.gif It's tough to tell everyone what to look for in a teen, as there are so many things to do with one.

I just bought one myself and my requirements were:
1: pre 75 (motor swap and Cali emmisions stuff)
2: Rust (hell hole and longs especially)
3: not hit (straight trunk floors, inner fenders not wrinkled)
4: no electrical bugs (personal hatred)

secondary stuff:
1: decent trans (got a tailshifter owned.gif )
2: decent paint (it's a driver, not a show car)
3: an interior (re-upholstery is no big deal)
4: running and driving (makes it easy to tell there are no electrical issues)

I ended up w/ a straight, reasonably rust free 70 w/ a 1.7 lol2.gif Interior needs some work, and the paint is nice from 10 feet. I drove it from Sacramento to Camarillo (only 105 out, take the top off and go) and had no problems.

It'll be @ the GAF this weekend and i'll be happy to show you what I looked at.

BJH
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 6 2005, 11:30 PM)
Wow... I really thought more people would care to share their knowledge on this. I guess I overestimated.

The PP guide is several years old so a new updated guide with pics would be nice.

If you wanna do go for it! biggrin.gif
markb
1. Wait until you can take a club member with you.
colorado_914
QUOTE(markb @ Sep 7 2005, 12:26 PM) *

1. Wait until you can take a club member with you.

absolutely.

also

1. have a secured garage.

2. have 2 sets of jack stands.

(to be continued.)
tracks914
Unless you are a good welder and bodyman, only buy your car from the South West!!! Rust free cars don't really exist anywhere else.
I hear they have all the good cars in SoCal.
boxstr
From whom did you hear that?? They just have more in SoCal.
CCL
Lou W
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Oct 16 2006, 06:35 PM) *

I hear they have all the good cars in SoCal.

Yah, we cut up all the other ones. sawzall-smiley.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Sep 6 2005, 11:30 PM) *

as mentioned above it's been done and truthfully, NO ONE will read it....it seems like every other week someone pops onto the site with a "I just bought my 1st 914, it has a little rust, hope it was a good deal, what should I be looking for??"...too late dipsh!t, you are supposed to do your research BEFORE you bought the car biggrin.gif

People don't use the search feature, they don't venture into other areas of the site such as the classics or resource area, they don;t have service manuals for thier cars..the list goes on and on headbang.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.