Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint: where to find it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarbuthnot
The guy that's going to paint my car is having a hard time finding an exact match for the paint code. Where do you get yours?

Since I'm in rural eastern Maine, running down to a paint shop is not an option wink.gif
Mueller
Where is your painter going for paint? Wal-Mart?? smile.gif

You either order on-line or you have to go to an auto paint store......

Sounds like your painter OR the place he is going to is lazy, the number can be looked up. It took a few days to get the mix for my old Delphi green metalic, but Dupont was able to get the recipe for the paint shop to mix it.

oh yea, for on-line, Tower Paint is one place....I ordered a few spary cans of mixed paint for my new green 914 and it didn't match at all....Mark D told me that normally you are better off ordering larger quanties (qrt or more) and the color is better matched
Robert21
biggrin.gif i use Paintscratch.com for touchup paint. they sell all the paints you need .
Just give them the code. and year of car . i,am sure there are alot of other places.

Robert
Jenny
sort of a hijacked.gif , but it's nice to see you posting again, Joan! wavey.gif

Jen
URY914
Try some of the links on this website.

http://www.autobody101.com/

It's a paint and bodywork forum.

Paul
CptTripps
Call PGP and ask for a retail distributor in your area. I can't IMAGINE not being able to find the paint you want. I went to the paint store, and left 20min later with a gal of L13M

Check here...McMark has all the codes...

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

Just take that to ANY paint place worth their salt, and you'll be in business.
jarbuthnot
QUOTE (Mueller @ Sep 6 2005, 12:34 PM)
You either order on-line or you have to go to an auto paint store......

Well, he's not online (not many people are around here), nor is there an auto paint store within two hours driving. He has the paint code and deals with someone who does have European paints, has sent him two chip samples and he's not happy with them.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll talk to him again when I take the car in tomorrow.
jarbuthnot
QUOTE (Jenny @ Sep 6 2005, 01:00 PM)
sort of a hijacked.gif , but it's nice to see you posting again, Joan! wavey.gif

Jen

Thanks Jen. I've been lurking a lot, but haven't had any questions, so haven't posted for a while.
airsix
If they can't match your code looking under Porsche have them look for it under VW. They will find it there (I know. I've seen the books.) Sorry if that leaves some readers crestfallen. Don't feel bad that you drive a VW. VWs are good cars and the people you want to impress don't know the difference anyway. wink.gif

-Ben M.
scotty b
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Sep 6 2005, 09:28 AM)
Call PGP

PPG can also help you out laugh.gif REALLY shouldn't be that hard to get the color mixed. dry.gif PPG, Spies Hecker,Sikkens, or Glasurit (harder to find) are going to be your better line of paints, any of them can get you straight.
jarbuthnot
QUOTE (scotty b @ Sep 6 2005, 07:05 PM)
REALLY shouldn't be that hard to get the color mixed. dry.gif  PPG, Spies Hecker,Sikkens, or Glasurit (harder to find) are going to be your better line of paints, any of them can get you straight.

Turns out he is dealing with Sikkens who does not have the formula for that code. So he is going to mix up a few colors that look like it from the paint chip samples, spray some test panels and I'll choose from them.
michelko
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Sep 6 2005, 09:28 AM)
Call PGP and ask for a retail distributor in your area. I can't IMAGINE not being able to find the paint you want. I went to the paint store, and left 20min later with a gal of L13M

Check here...McMark has all the codes...

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

Just take that to ANY paint place worth their salt, and you'll be in business.

same game in good ole germany.

smilie_flagge6.gif
Tobra
QUOTE (airsix @ Sep 6 2005, 01:56 PM)
If they can't match your code looking under Porsche have them look for it under VW. They will find it there (I know. I've seen the books.) Sorry if that leaves some readers crestfallen. Don't feel bad that you drive a VW. VWs are good cars and the people you want to impress don't know the difference anyway. wink.gif

-Ben M.

That's how I found it, L32K is listed as a color for a VW superbeetle.
Spoke
PPG has a camera that analyzes existing paint and reads out what combination of their paint will yield the same color. I took one of my headlight flaps to the store and they came up with a formula that perfectly matches my paint. Pretty cool for touch ups and panel blending.

Spoke
jarbuthnot
I've just seen the three samples he came up with. One is very close, however it's hard to judge when I'm looking at 30 year old paint. We found a place under the engine hatch that hasn't really been exposed and it's close enough.

Oddly, when I arrived to look at the samples, there was a Harley there that had black, white and tangerine stripes on it. The tangerine was a match for the sample I chose ohmy.gif Who'd a thunk it?

I've tried the 'match the paint sample' machines at various paint stores, and I've found they're not that great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.