Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meares
OK.....i can't find an AAR, SOOOOO can i just plug it when the engine gets warm? If it closes the passage way anyway when it warms up, i should be able to plug it right?
Dave_Darling
Plug it all the time, then play with the throttle to keep the RPMs up when the engine is cold. If you just leave the hoses unplugged while the engine is cold, the vacuum leak will be much more than a fully-open AAR lets through, and you'll be sucking unfiltered air in.

Or you could do what one of the guys from the Yahoo group is doing--pick up a ball-valve at your local hardware store and plumb that in place of the AAR. You can open or close the valve by hand (he's gonna use a choke cable type setup) to raise or lower the idle. A bit half-assed (OK, more than a bit when he still has an AAR!!) but it should work...

--DD
meares
THANK YOU....DD, for the response!!! i've been following that guy's journey on this as well.....i can't believe he wants to use that instead of the AAR!!! c'est le vie....when the REVS drop way down is this when i set the idle? should it be warm....and do i use the little screw on the side of throttle body in conjuction with the screw on top of the ECU or separtly?
lapuwali
Set the idle with the engine fully warmed up (drive on the freeway for awhile, if possible). Use the idle screw on the throttle body. The knob on the ECU sets idle mixture. Set the idle at the TB, then richen the mixture, then lean the mixture slowly until the engine runs rough, then richen it back up until it's JUST smooth again. Reset the idle speed at the TB after you set the mixture.

What's wrong with your AAR? Is it stuck closed or open? If you have one of the "barrel" style, you might be able to open it and clean it.
meares
it's stuck open......don't know if it's a barrel type or not......i just plugged it and it runs fine....thanks for info on how to set the idle, i'll try it tomorrow!!
Oled
You don't need to use the exact same AAR. There are plenty out there on various Djets and Ljets. You might have to fabricate a mount but it can be placed anywhere in the engine bay. A wire to ground might be required but just about any Valve will work. if you want something little different, just find a normally closed solinoid and have a switch power it for starting and warm up.

ed
meares
thanks, but i'd like to keep the AAR....i'll find one soon!!
North Bay 914
I have fixed several AAR valves that were inop, they normally just get stuck, so just spray some sort of penatrating oil in it, let it sit for a couple of days. Spray it during the time it is sitting, just make sure the oil keeps getting where its not been in a long time. Put power on it to see if the valve is rotating. I have a 12V power supply on the bench. Use caution, they get Damn hot! Normally they will work. I have not had one that I couldn't make work. About once a month when I'm in the engine compartment, just give it a quick shot to keep it working...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.