Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi my name is Bob & My wife is gonna kill me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brotherbob
Hello all, I am a converted VW aircooled guy who built his first A/C engine at 14.
Now I'm closer to 41 and bought a project 1972 914-4 without an engine or transaxle!
She knows I have skills but thinks I have lost my mind. screwy.gif
I own now....
1. 1970 Opel GT (torn down for restore)
2. 58 Karmann Ghia , parts car ?
3. Sand rail / dune buggy.
4. 1970 VW Bus, buried in the back yard for a club house.
5. 1949 Chevy Truck streetrod (for sale)
And a few parts cars here and there. welder.gif

I need a good book on 914s and I am using the search funtion here . How much moo-laa do you think a guy would have to give for a used engine and tranny?
Oh BTW HOWDY from Tejas and thanks for as much help as you can give.
Toast
Just wanted to be the first to say "Welcome to the club!" wavey.gif Well, at least as long as your here until your wife kills you. laugh.gif

Sorry, dont have an answer for ya, but im sure here in a short while you will have an answer, and probalby some offers to sell to you too. biggrin.gif
merrill
Howdy right back at ya! Welcome and we hope your wife don't kill ya just yet. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Do yourself a favor and have the wife kill ya.....you'll be better off, long term. biggrin.gif
It was nice to meet ya.
Jenny
Pelican Parts
user posted image

Hope that helps, and WELCOME!!

Jen

ps. Good luck with wifey! wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
We are "THE" good book. If'n we don't know it, it don't make no nevermind. Your questions cheerfully answered, generally prettymuch correctly in the first 10 tries. After your wife kills you, come on back! The Cap'n (Another Opel owner ........mine's an A series 1100S Kadett.)
Twystd1
Why are you trying to kill yourself?

Oh... Never mind... I understand... I have the disease too..

And pennicillin aint gunna fix it....

Twystd1

By Da way... Welcome biggrin.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Sep 6 2005, 04:24 PM)

I need a good book on 914s and I am using the search funtion here . How much moo-laa do you think a guy would have to give for a used engine and tranny?
Oh BTW HOWDY from Tejas and thanks for as much help as you can give.

HOWDY Padhna I can hook you up on the engine for cheap. Where are you at in Tejas?
lapuwali
On the drivetrain, you need to hunt up a sideshift gearbox and the complete shift linkage (including the lever in the car). The engine you get has to either come with or you need to obtain a side-shift engine mount, too (cast piece with a big hole in it for the shift linkage). Your car originally came with a tailshifter, so you'll need the "conversion" bushing kit, which you can get from several parts vendors. Expect to pay between $150-300 for a transaxle. Hunt for Red-beard's rebuild article and plan on doing at least some refurbishing of whatever you get.

As for the engine, try to find one with a complete stock FI system, including the ECU, the MPS, and the fuel pump. If you can hear it running first, all the better. Engines come up for sale here from time to time, and craigslist. Ebay has them, too, but almost no one is willing to ship one. A 1.7 is usually much cheaper than a 2.0, but 1.7s are easier to find used. I've seen complete 1.7s sell on Ebay for as little as $150, but $300-350 is common. There's a lot of real junk out there, and expect at least a top-end rebuild will be necessary.

GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif

Yes to what they all said above. agree.gif

There are 6 Haynes books on Ebay right now starting at a $1

I wouldn't worry to much about the wife. After looking at your list of cars she already knows your as nuts as the rest of us. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Scared heem off already..... cool_shades.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Sep 6 2005, 05:26 PM)
Scared heem off already..... cool_shades.gif

NO He and I were just PMing each other. clap.gif
Speedster07
Welcome Cowpoke,

Your wife should be immune to your car craze by now , I saw your list of diseases boldblue.gif

BUT are you ready, 914’s are not an addiction they are an obsession! wub.gif headbang.gif rocking nana.gif

BTW welcome to our madness chair.gif headbang.gif beerchug.gif
seanery
Welcome to the mayhem!!!

post pics of your car(s). We're street rod friendly here biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Hello and welcome

Jenny, I know that book looks kind of familiar but, it isn't quite right. Where's the grease?

JP, What kind of choice is that? A quick almost painless death vs a slow agonizing death worse than bamboo shouts growing through you. He'll be pleading with his wife to take him out of his misery.

Dave
pete-stevers
your wife might kill you when she starts seeing the bills but just start a seperate account for the 914 after all Porsches are investments...... chairfall.gif
welcome aboard.....
steve
Jenny
here ya go Dave. Dug it out from underneath my tranny. It does a good job soaking up the lube. wink.gif
jet1
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

welcome! show us all your cars. BTW we love pictures!
DNHunt
Ah Jenny that looks right. I was kind of afraid it would have all the torque settings way off. On top of that if the pictures are too clear you might be able to see what it's supposed to look like instead of the way the DAPO did it.

Dave
Brotherbob
Wow good Karma around here ...
Update...Wife kissed me.
I went for a rub and got the evil eye, but thats normal!
She's a trooper and is begining to understand my sickness. I think I may have struck a DEAL on a engine. You nine fourteeners are good folk.
Now on to the car.
Brotherbob
nuther'
Brotherbob
Someone said streetrod friendly, i know I'm taking my chances... welder.gif
seanery
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Sep 6 2005, 10:20 PM)

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
neo914-6
Let's see the Opel GT, I miss mine (1st car)

Now get away now while you still can! happy11.gif laugh.gif screwy.gif
Howard
Welcome to the club, sucker biggrin.gif
Great truck..Those Moon eyes really take me back.
Brotherbob
Well ok then if your gonna ask so many times.. biggrin.gif
Gint
I wanna see more pics of the truck!

Welcome to the club.
Maltese Falcon
Welcome Bob, put your wife on a "Need to Know" status with the 914. Siphon off some pickle jar cash into money orders and buy yer stuff. Keep it off the CCard statements cause she doesn't Need To Know about your upcoming 914 buildfest cool.gif
Marty
sportlicherFahrer
Looks like a good little car to start with. Love the 5-window too! Welcome to the club. beerchug.gif
MJHanna
I"ve got a couple parts cars, one has the eng and trans... wink.gif
914ghost
Heeey...my name is Bob too!
And I bet if your wife doesn't kill you MINE WILL!! dry.gif
Yeah, she is just that evil.
The car is berry berry inteeresteeng.. I like the blended body-bumper thing. It's new to me, haven't seen it done too often without creating an abortion...there's potential there..
You will be highly sucessful if you match your car spending budget with a new inflated beer budget- it's rarely safe to work on the 914 when totally sober.
weeelcome and may god have mercy on you.

beer3.gif
BOB O - in washington

p.s. My avatar is what you'll soon go through trying to get cool stuff of ebay. picture it. .. . ..
Brotherbob
The avatar - so true!
I must admit I have not slept since I got the 914.
I have surfed ebay too many times since I got the 914.
My son wont stop needling me about the 914 since I got it.
I have not had sex since I got the 914!
I have not worked on my other cars since I got the 914!
I have found other wierdos with same problem here, maybe I'll just hang around and sell off all my other cars.
Geeze I need help!
BrotherBob
914 maniac monkeydance.gif
Oh and I have no problem working under the influence, hell I do my best work after a few Crown and Cokes! beer.gif
Rhodes71/914
1970 VW Bus, buried in the back yard for a club house.

My wife wanted me to do the same thing with my 67 21 window, I sold it to finance 914 repair. Let's see a pic of that.

Welcome from a teener who abuses his on Alaska roads! driving.gif
jr91472
Cool another Texas guy!!! What part??

Hey, watch out for Larry......no tellin what type of motor you'll end up putting in there lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

nice car and welcome wavey.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Sep 6 2005, 10:20 PM)

Whats the deal with the rod? How much you asking? cool.gif

Anyways welcome to the club.
Brotherbob
Ask and ye shall receive.
jim912928
I just purchased a 3.2l six with 915 tranny. I may have a complete 1.8l with mated transmission for sale, ecu, fuel pump, FI. Timing may be the issue as I'm not sure when I'm going to pull it (will be some time in the next several months)...oh, and I'm up in the midwest so I'm not real close either.

Jim
Brotherbob
Update! Wife is happy
Scored a 1.7 engine from Spare time parts(Larry) here on the board! Great guy! Well back to the barn to get to work.
Its all about Karma..... idea.gif
effutuo101
Welcome to the club! If you decide to get rid of the 916 front bumper, let me know! I love that look. As far as teeners go, I hope you have some version of OCD. I know I do. rolleyes.gif
Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.