Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need engine stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I need to get an engine stand suitable for a six. Are the HF el-cheapo's any good? Do I really need the special Porsche/VW mounting accessory or does the 4 bolt adjustable rig do the job (I'm not splitting the case). Anybody got one for sale?
Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Sep 7 2005, 03:09 PM)
Are the HF el-cheapo's any good?
Do I really need the special Porsche/VW mounting accessory
does the 4 bolt adjustable rig do the job
Anybody got one for sale?

yes.
yes - or the Mainely Custom By Design adapter ring
no - unless you get the adapter ring.
$40 at Harbor Freight for a 750 lb stand. i'm going to go get another one tonight.
the 1000-lb version is on sale for $50 - but you won't need it...

i have the 2,7 fastened to a real P201 mounted to such a HF stand.
now that i need to tear down the Subie engine too, i need another stand...

10mm 911 CV bolts work good for mounting the engine to the P201 or adapter.
jd74914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 7 2005, 02:20 PM)

where would you find that adapter ring?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 7 2005, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 7 2005, 02:20 PM)

where would you find that adapter ring?

'tis a trick question, yes?

MainelyCustomByDesign.com

Mainely Custom By Design-dot-com adapter ring web page
yeahmag
The "standard" VW stands only attach to the two studs at the bottom of the case. Why couldn't you use only two (or maybe three) of the arms on the "HF El Cheapo" stand...???

That was my plan as I just picked up the 1000lb one for $39.00.

-Aaron
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (yeahmag @ Sep 7 2005, 05:26 PM)
The "standard" VW stands only attach to the two studs at the bottom of the case.

first, no, they don't.

they capture one bottom stud and one top mounting bolt.
if it captured both lower studs, you could never split the case.

second, the proper (P201) tool secures the entire side of the case in a machined flange, and provides uniform support for the entire case, not concentrated at only the two places where the bolts attach.

the cheap engine brackets are designed for T-I VW's. they're scary with T-IV's and (IMO) downright dangerous for a fully dressed /6. you do *not* want a magnesium-case 911 engine falling three feet onto a concrete floor.

the currently available P201's have 5 arms, which is enough for a full twin-turbo engine. they started (in Olden Tymes) with 2 arms but sprouted more through the years as engines got heavier. any of the 3- or 4-armed versions should be adequate for a NA engine through an SC. mine has 4 arms and is holding my 2,7 perfectly securely.
goose2
I bought the HF 1000# stand for 40 bucks and ordered the Mainely Custom mount adaptor for 165. Thanks for the advice Rich cool_shades.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (goose2 @ Sep 12 2005, 05:18 PM)
I bought the HF 1000# stand for 40 bucks and ordered the Mainely Custom mount adaptor for 165. Thanks for the advice Rich cool_shades.gif

you are welcome.

i went for a 750-lb stand this weekend for the Subie but they were out and i also wound up with the 1000-lb stand (for the same $40 as the 750-lb they didn't have...)
Joe Bob
Pelican had the ring for $325 at the GAF....wtf, I said....saying it again.... dry.gif
goose2
Pelican had the ring for $325 at the GAF....wtf, I said....saying it again....

probably a different animal...Mainley's looks like this:Mainely adaptor
Joe Bob
Noooopppersz....same thing. cool_shades.gif
sixnotfour
Pelican had the ring for $325 at the GAF....wtf, I said....saying it again....

Mainely Custom mount adaptor for 165.

Instant Gratification purchase $325 @GAF

I bought 8- P201 and clamps for 75.00 at auction 3 years ago
Paul Weir Bankcruptcy happy11.gif
yeahmag
I'm emberassed to even say this, but I found that JC Whitney sells an adapter for standard engine stands. It's basically the cheap, 2 arm stand that they sell built for a standard engind stand. JC Whitney Part Number ZX128021U. The picture is incorrect on the web site, but I spent some time on the phone with their tech support to better my odds of it working for me.

I've ordered it and will let everyone know if it fits and how well it works. I know there is some concern about strength/weight, but every VW guy I know has a 2 arm stand and has for years... No problems. I understand I'd be a fool to put a 6 on there due to the increased weight, but I figure the day I can afford anything out of Germany with 6 cylinders I'll be able to afford better tools too...

If that part fails to fit the bill I'll buy the adapter ring from Pelican/Mainley.

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.