Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Hey everyone. I have been lurking here for quite a while, and thought I would start posting.

I don't have a 914, yet, but I am close to being able to afford one. Just bought a house with a large garage (step 1) and am now rebuilding my savings. Hopefully, after tax time, I'll be able to afford to buy and have a 914 shipped to me.

My question of the moment lies in the rebuilt 914 motors that I constantly see on eBay. The seller that I am looking at now is toohotpapa. The engines seem to be bored and stroked, with cams and other stuff doen to them.

Are these engines worth the cost? Do they last? If I am interested in a larger displacement 4, should I just build it myself? I think getting this car to about 120HP at the wheels would be more then enough power, and fairly easy to do.

Are there good sites or resources to rebuilding and adding displacement tot he 914 engine? I know of a very good site for the type 1 engine, but have not seen one for the type 3 (type 4? - having a brain fart...).

Anyway, bulding a motor over the winter would be a fun project for me. Then come spring, I would just need to find a rust free body to put it into.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Type 4 is the engine that the 914 engines are based on.

If you scroll down through the descriptions of the rebuilt engines, you'll see they come from "importmotor.com". Do a search on "importmotor" here on this BBS, and you should find out everything you need to know about them.

--DD
VaccaRabite
^^^
Thanks

*edit* Ohh, that's not pretty. Heh, seems like no one likes them.

I wanted to build my own anyhow. This all confirms it. biggrin.gif Thanks for the pointer.

What should I search for to find information (literature, etc) on what works and what does not work when building you own higher displacement engine? My luck the the search feature on this board could be considered spotty at best so far....

Zach
Jake Raby
Mass production and half assed, non blueprinted rebuilds are the source of about 90% of the engine problems associated with a 914/4...

Stay away from mass producers and engines found on a shelf and you'll be just fine. Those guys don't design any engine- they just throw some "performance parts" at them, make a nice sounding ad and give you a piece of worthless paper called a warranty.

VaccaRabite
Funny you should reply, Jake. I was just cruising your website, spongeing up all the information that I could. Still surfing it actually.

Zach
Hammy
Buy a kit from Jake. smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Hammy @ Sep 8 2005, 11:11 AM)

agree.gif ++++
scotty914
suby suby suby suby

i shall SUBvert the world happy11.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Hammy @ Sep 8 2005, 09:11 AM)

agree.gif Or buy Jake...
Jake Raby
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Sep 8 2005, 08:14 AM)
suby suby suby suby

And when green colored crap ends up on your garage floor I'll laugh my ass off...

Radiators suck.

First there was air, then there was water.....
Hammy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 8 2005, 09:39 AM)
suby suby suby suby

And when green colored crap ends up on your garage floor I'll laugh my ass off...

Radiators suck.

ohmy.gif
URY914
When air leaks, its easy to clean up. Green water leaks it's hazardous waste. ohmy.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 8 2005, 08:39 AM)
suby suby suby suby

Radiators suck.

holy cow jake, never known you to be a meenie like that? Did Katrina affect you guys over there?

sean_v8_914
I love building engines. its like a model kit that you get to drive when your done. you can slap a model together and it will look like the picture on teh box from afar. I like to detail out EVERY part to fit perfectly. in an engine building scenario this translates to performance and longevity. mass producers slap them together and they run OK. I cant believe some of th things I've seen that actually ran. build your own. the satisfaction feels great and you WILL know what is in there.

this site has info in past threads about most engine building items.

try Pelican parts BBS. they have tons of past discusions of value

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdispla...hp?s=&forumid=7
try jakes site
tuna can is good general info
http://tunacan.net/t4/reference/
Brads fuel injection heaven
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (fatlando @ Sep 8 2005, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 8 2005, 08:39 AM)
suby suby suby suby

Radiators suck.

holy cow jake, never known you to be a meenie like that?

seriously?! where you been? laugh.gif
Jake Raby
I have always hated cars/engines with radiators... I have only owned one car in my life that had one and I sold it after less than 1 year.. (Ford truck)

Wanna see mean?? Let me talk to you in person about radiators- you'll swear I'm Hitler's son.
URY914
Jake,
Helos turbines are air cooled right?

P
Jake Raby
Yep- The ones I worked on were aircooled... Water /liquid changes at altitude so you won't see many aircraft with a radiator....
scotty914
aproaching 10 k miles, no drips, no leaks other than tranny. not a single touch to the motor besides oil at 8 k miles.

i could buy AND convert 2 914s to get the same hp for the price on one motor. no i am not dissing jake on that i am just saying his motors are not cheap, i originally bought a 914 as a driver. so now i just have a driver with about 180 hp, 180 fp trq, and i dont have to adjust anything. i can also drive my car cross country, into the mountains and not worry about rejetting carbs, or cooking my oil, all with no adjustments. heck my engine with fi cost what a pfi costs. and it is still a boxer.

and jake i guess you forgot you own a chevy truck to this day
Jake Raby
Actually I don't OWN that Chevy truck.. Its my dads.. I agreed to build convert it from a Diesel to a 350 if he would let me use it around the shop when I needed to haul something, Title isn't in my name - SO THERE!!!!

so now i just have a driver with about 180 hp, 180 fp trq, and i dont have to adjust anything

But it has a radiator...

I put 11.2K on the test engine in the teener this summer and didn't touch one valve, or any other adjustment- I didn't even change the oil.... It doesn't take a radiator tomake an engine reliable, or trouble free.

scotty914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 8 2005, 02:57 PM)
Title isn't in my name - SO THERE!!!!

I put 11.2K on the test engine in the teener this summer and didn't touch one valve, or any other adjustment- I didn't even change the oil.... It doesn't take a radiator tomake an engine reliable, or trouble free.

point taken on OWNING the truck

btw what would that motor have cost ( new )complete including everything needed to run cost. and what hp
Jake Raby
Well I sold the longblock for 6K here two days ago, so do the rest of the math if you want..

I know where this is going and it don't need to go there- lets try to keep the thread on topic for the sake of the original poster.

I don't think he was asking about a Kraut/ Rice Hybrid.... lol2.gif
DJsRepS
Hi Jake in florida once I ran across an air cooled motor home it had a plastic nose and rear section with aircraft looking fuselage based on chevy corvair 6 cyl motor drive train. Find ya one of them and go camping without an radiator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.