Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UnChroming Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
Now that I have some $$$ for 914 improvements I'd like to start with addressing my need for new tires and un-chroming my Fuchs (because they are bubbling and fugly).

Who has had this un-chroming done in the SF Bay Area?
Who did you have do the work?
How much did it cost?
Are you happy with the results?

TIA!
TravisNeff
You can take your wheels to a chrome shop and have them remove the chrome finish. However the chroming process is about 2 or 3 different layers of shtuff. I think a layer of zinc, something else, then chrome. Most likely they can take off the chrome, but the zinc? You might be money ahead purchasing a set and have them finished by Al Reed and selling off what you got. Or you could call Al and ask him if he removes chrome and refinishes..
TJB/914
My advise,

Sell the existing chrome wheels and start with another set. I agree send to Al Reed. Be sure to chrome plate the lugs for a finished look
See Pic.

Tom
Joe Bob
Chroming...allegedly....weakens forged wheels.

Start with a new used set and sell yours for track wheels. Cheaper in the long run to have Al Reed polish the new set......
sixnotfour
Problem is no one gonna want bubbly chrome wheels ,
I have had 12 wheels dechromed and polished, Painted. 100.00 for 4 to dechrome.
I would think Al Reed can do it .
A matter of economics . If you can sell them and buy another set , great . If not dechrome/refininsh.

I hate chrome porsche wheels, Love my wifes chrome wheels(SUV) no work for me.
GTeener
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Sep 9 2005, 04:39 PM)
Problem is no one gonna want bubbly chrome wheels ,
I have had 12 wheels dechromed and polished, Painted. 100.00 for 4 to dechrome.
I would think Al Reed can do it .
A matter of economics . If you can sell them and buy another set , great . If not dechrome/refininsh.

I hate chrome porsche wheels, Love my wifes chrome wheels(SUV) no work for me.

I agree. Why would I hassle with seelng what I got now and buying different dechromed wheels.?

I can manage $100 for 4 wheels dechromed smile.gif

Once I get the chrome off, what do they do? Brush and polish the metal? I don't want them painted.

And who is this Al Reed guy? Is he local?
Joe Bob
He's in Orange County near Analheim..... wink.gif

Al Reed at 3010 E. Coronado #A, Anaheim (714) 632-3907
lapuwali
(note: gwen has five-lug Fuchs on this car)

Once you get the chrome off, if you brush/polish them, you're going to want to at least clear anodize them, or the finish will look like crap in a few days. Rechroming is like $100+ PER WHEEL, so you don't want to go there.
GTeener
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 12 2005, 02:22 PM)
(note: gwen has five-lug Fuchs on this car)

Once you get the chrome off, if you brush/polish them, you're going to want to at least clear anodize them, or the finish will look like crap in a few days. Rechroming is like $100+ PER WHEEL, so you don't want to go there.

I don't want to rechrome them. Brushed/anadized I think would look nice if I'm visualizing correctly biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.