Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Dean Remeberance in L.A.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Since driving out to Cholame on a Friday is a bit of a task for most of us Angelinos, I've got a plan that's closer to home.
The ancient Competition Motors @ 1219 N. Vine St. in Hollywood CA, was the embarcation point of James Dean's date with destiny. It is presently a fenced off construction site , next to a Church.
On 9/30 I'm driving my 930 to the location and @ 9:30am I'll respect a moment of silence for James. There's a side street (LaMirada St.) along side the Vine St. add'y where about 10 to 20 cars can line up--but NOTE: this is an active construction site, dirty , and the grading contractor is not a gearhead wacko.gif
Maybe some of you locals want to join up--and then breakfast @ Mel's Sunset Strip ??
Pic is of Dean in #130 on the lot at Comp Motors circa 1955. John von Neumann (owner) was a VW and Porsche and Ferrari dealer. He was also one of the founding fathers of the SCCA.
I know that Gustl will recognize the round badge on the left fender of the 550 biggrin.gif
...next (following) pic is the property today.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...and today 1219 N. Vine St.
That's one very famous driveway smilie_pokal.gif
Marty
nynone4
I love those cool old Nurburgring badges!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.