Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Day Today but I need Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Time to hit the garage. Gonna get the car with the new 2270 Raby kit engine on the road.

I need to do the final adjustments to the clutch. Plug a hole in the butterfy in the throttle body with a splash of solder cause it's getting too much air at idle now.

I have 1 big problem, please help. The fan on the CPU in my old laptop crapped so the laptop crashes when it gets hot. MS needs a serial port and the new laptop doesn't have one so I have a PCMIA card with 2 serial ports installed. The laptop recognizes them but they won't connect to Megasquirt. As far as I can tell the port settings are the sames as with the old laptop. Any suggestions? Kevin suggested ice under the old laptop. I thought that was pretty clever.

Thanks

Dave
3liter914-6
It'll cost you a few $$, but any of the big box electronic stores should have a USB serial adapter. Usually around $17 or $18, and they work great with megasquirt. Your com port is going to be 6 7 or 8 in that range.

You could also get a couple of bottles of the compressed air for blowing out electronic components, I use that sometime and it really cools things down. Maybe a shot or two every few minutes?

You could also just buy a $5 fan at walmart, plug it into a inverter if you've got one, and rest your laptop on top.

I'm not a PC guru, so I can't really help you with your PCI issues. If you've run through all the available com ports, I don't know what more to suggest.

Bleyseng
Fry's has tons of puter parts like the USB to serial adapter cards plus tons of little fans.

They are outside of Renton by 405.

I will call you later on as we are coming down to Gig Harbor today
rhodyguy
dave, i was looking at my d-jet tb. the spring loaded screw on the side, air bybass?, is blocked at the plenum. couldn't you drill a hole in the plenum, and adjust/add idle air via that method? are you ready for me to come over? start the turbo barista please.

k
Bleyseng
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 10 2005, 06:55 AM)
the spring loaded screw on the side, air bybass?, is blocked at the plenum. \
k

that should make it interesting to adjust the idle rpms..........

ah, stock aint like that. sounds like a DPO mod cuz of leaky hoses or a vacuum leak they couldnt find.
rhodyguy
i think this is about as stock as it can be. there is no hole in the plenum that corresponds with the passageway that runs from above the butterfly to the bottom of the mounting surface. intially dave said he needed more air at idle and then the hole he drilled was too big.

k
Bleyseng
73 TB, Yep.

I was refering to your refering of the blocked airbypass screw passage at the plenum.

I have seen TB's with the hole or without. confused24.gif
DNHunt
Kevin

The air passage through the adjustment screw makes an obtuse angle. In order to accomplish this they had to drill 2 holes. The first hole goes all the way thru to the plenum and is blocked by the gasket and throttle mounting plate on the plenum. The second hole runs from the inside of the throttle body near the bottom of the throttle body up to the adjusting screw. It's really kind of cool.

There that ought to really confuse the issue.

Dave
Bleyseng
Kevin,
Take the TB in to get shaft bushings so it won't leak air and has smooth operation. Most old TB's are shot.

hijacked.gif
Eric Taylor
Dave- You can try the usb to serial idea, but you could easily run into the same problem. As the connnection is going through another form of connection it is probably fouling up megasquirt, for today, I think kevin honestly probably has one of the better ideas if you want to get on the road quickly. Making adaptors, including your pcmcia card, work properly can take a lot of time that I wouldn't want to spend when I had a new motor ready to go smilie_pokal.gif . Get a big block of ice and hit the road smile.gif .
Eric
Bleyseng
Have Kevin hold one of those battery powered hand fans and aim it at the laptop inlets....
pete-stevers
just an Idea.......how bout carbs biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Sep 10 2005, 09:48 AM)

laugh.gif
Nah, carbs are such a PITA....ya gotta have all them complicated tools like screwdrivers & stuff.
maf914
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Sep 10 2005, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Sep 10 2005, 09:48 AM)

laugh.gif
Nah, carbs are such a PITA....ya gotta have all them complicated tools like screwdrivers & stuff.

laugh.gif

Aww, Pete and JP, that's not nice! laugh.gif
DNHunt
Up and going. Got the laptop connected. I change some of the port settings. Got a winner. Very little smoke. It sure is loud and angry. Time to buy some more gas and tune some more.

Dave
sixnotfour
I tried to help, First thing I noticed it is missing 2 cylinders confused24.gif

Just kiddin went for a ride ,moves out pretty nice, smooth,Great exhaust sound.
Not Stock smilie_pokal.gif Laptop tuning looked very interesting.
No gassy hands ,jet changes, Infintanely adjustable, tune IN and Out in seconds.

Sorry about the Rpumkin Guts I left. cool_shades.gif My wife was happy they were gone smile.gif

effutuo101
I would love to see your ride. I recently relocated to Edmonds WA. 206.542.3602 cell 303.807.2757
Bleyseng
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Sep 10 2005, 05:28 PM)
I would love to see your ride. I recently relocated to Edmonds WA. 206.542.3602 cell 303.807.2757

This must be that Chris guy....from the Bay Area and Colorado.

Welcome.

biggrin.gif
effutuo101
burnout.gif yep. Angela is out of town, so I figured I woudl find something fun to do! If anybody has anything going on tomorrow, give me a ring!
C~
DNHunt
I changed the oil this morning and adjusted the valves so, I'm ready for another round of tuning. I'm not seeing any smoke this time around so I think it's a keeper.

Anyone who wants to stop by, I'll be around all day after about 10. # 253 851-6447. Here's a Map
Expand the map 1 click for a better view. When you get on 38th St (our drive) Go left, right, left at the 3 Ts.

Dave
rhodyguy
lots of zip. i think the cam starts working around 4.2k. this engine wants to wind out. dave thinks the stockish f.i. components will be the limiting factor. time for one of those dual tb setups from the type4 store. start selling some of those 2.0 heads, cranks, rods...ease the pain.

i had never seen the how the mega squirt system is tuned under operating conditions. pretty interesting.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.