Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hostility encountered helping a friend by a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
So this story starts out a few weeks back when I drove my 914 to church, and I met a guy who was very interested in my 914 and was thinking about buying one. A few weeks pass and he asks me to come take a look at this 914 over at George's buggy shop. He is all set to buy it, and already paid the guy $500 as a deposit, but wanted to get my opinion.

So I went over there with him. I had also bought my car from the same place, but that was back 15 years ago. I told him that I had some reservations about the place, it has a so-so reputation and all. But I was not going to blow the deal for either side.

The sale price was to be $5,500. For that price, I was expecting to see a car in fairly sound mechanical and cosmetic condition. So we get there and start looking at the car. When the owner sees that I am helping the guy inspect the car, he immediatley gets very defensive. He wouldn't even shake my hand. I thought to myself, that I would just look the car over, and if it didn't have any major problems, to tell the guy the car was OK. I did not want to cause any problems.

So, my first step is to look at the old hell hole. I noticed that the battery was gone, and the side wall had been fiberglassed. So, I had to point that out to the guy. I have seen many 914's with glassed side walls, to disguise the hell hole rot, and I knew it wasn't a good thing, but it wasn't enough to blow the deal. So, I made sure the longitudinals were not rusted, and they weren't so I thought, the car was pretty solid, it would need some preventive POR-15, but it was solid.

At this point the owner comes back and says, "hey if you want a perfect car, there is one on ebay for 15k". I thought, man is this guy blowing this deal or what. :screwy

Next, my friend asks me about the blower in the engine compartment, and asks why there are not hoses attached to it, and the owner jumps in again, this time getting a bit more hostile, with "those are just flexible hoses - if you want a perfect car, go buy one for 15k". Well, the car was not only missing the flexible hoses, but it was missing all the heater stuff like J tubes, etc. So I told my friend about this, quitley, so as to avert any more hostility.

But the owner heard me, and started getting more and more pissed off. It is funny, because the owner knew that I knew what I was talking about, and he obviously had something to hide, or felt guitly. Was it the guilt that the car was really only worth $2,500?

I then started looking at the body, and although to the untrained eye it looked fine, I noticed the car had a lot of bondo on the rear 1/4 panels. Again, I told him about it quitely, and told him that it is common on these cars to expect some body work from previous collisions. But guess what, the owner comes back and says, "just come get your deposit". I told him at that point that I was only showing my friend things about the car, based on my experience, and that I was not the one buying the car. I was only there to advise, the final decision would be up to him.

So more time passes, and we ask someone there for the keys, to take a test drive. The owner at this point comes back and insults me, and tells my friend to come inside and get his damn check back, and "go buy the car for 15k on ebay". I don't say a word, because I knew this could erupt into violence at any minute.

When we finally leave, the owner again looks at me and smarts of "yeah, you did your job real good". At that point I looked at him and said "I was going to tell him to buy the car". He then uttered some profanities that I couldn't make out.

I thought to myself, what an idiot. If he would have just shut his mouth he would have sold that car for $5500, even though it was only worth $2500. I had no intention of blowing a deal for anyone, because I thought since my friend already gave a $500 deposit, I was only there to advise the guy on his new purchase - not to say buy it or not.

It just shows you that sometimes, these used car dealers are so greedy they screw themselves.

scotty b
smilie_pokal.gif Job well done. Your friend would be better off without THAT car, God only knows what else the car would need. I sincerely thank you for catching an a-hole in the act, you certainly made him show his true colors!
ChrisReale
You did fine by me. I probably would not have been so even tempered about telling somebody the car is shit, I would have straight up said its in poor shape, the owner can kiss an ass. biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
Make sure your friend knows about this web site. You did right. $5500 will buy a solid car with all the parts, including a working heater. Tell him to keep looking. There is a '73 on the site for $5900 in the midwest that sounds pretty good.

I wanted a 914 so bad I jumped on the first one I saw knowing it needed work. When the work started, I found out it had a bent tub, so I ended up parting it out and chopping it up. Lost money, but learned a valuable lesson.
porschecb
Two things come to mind here. What would he take for the car? And what is the car worth? If you and your friend could see a deal in this car give the guy your phone number and tell him to call you when he finds out no one will pay what he is asking or anywhere close. Maybe you can strike a deal! No I am not a used car salesman! Just may see a deal in the making. He can pay $5,000.00 for a car and add $$$ or can pay $2,500.00 and still add $$$$$$.
redshift
I would have kicked him in the jimmy.

smile.gif

M
Leo Imperial
I don't think I could have kept such a cool head.
Your buddy would be better of with the 15k car. By the time he fixed all the issues with that one thats how much he would have into it.
Let you friend know he needs to take his time. I look at several before I bought mine. Each time it was hard to say no, but I ended up with a clean 74' with no rust issues and an extra motor and tranny, plus an extra set of wheels for less than the price of the one your buddy just walked away from.
All 914s will need attention. Dont let him get into the wrong car.

Good job! beerchug.gif
type47fan
You're a good friend, Thomas.

There are many pitfalls encountered when buying a 30+ year old car. Even more when it happens to be a previously abused car that gets a quick and dirty spit and polish job preparing it for sale. Sounds like you saved your friend from having a bad experience that could have turned him off to 914s altogether. Your'e a good friend, Thomas. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Always say that you are getting a pre-inspection...most dirtbags will start to double talk at this point.
If you don't know much about cars find a friend or pay someone to do a pre-inspection

I've seen more than a few guys that have paid big bucks for a piece of stromberg.gif
rhodyguy
for $500 more, there is a fully sorted V-8 to be had in the classifieds.blink.gif the fellow you helped should study the club's classifieds. he sould buy you lunch. if he walks away from the car you saved him $10k. call him and tell him to ask for the deposit back.

k
Rusty
You did a good thing, Thomas! Glad to hear the guy got his deposit back! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

Sammy
Good thing it wasn't me, i know I wouldn't have been so cool.
I'da prolly ripped his head off and shit down his neck, but I've never had a rep of turning the other cheek.
Yoy did the right thing even tho i woulda handled it differently (and maybe regretted it later).
thomasotten
Yeah, I talked to my friend later and he thanked me, for saving him money! I also come to find out that the dealer told him, when he was giving him his deposit back, that "you bringing this guy here to check out the car shows that you don't trust me." I swear, these car dealers must have huge egos, and they love to play mind games. In my opinion, there is not much lower than a used car dealer. Well, I stand corrected, there is: its a New car dealer - the same thing, but with a pressed shirt.
Tobra
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Sep 11 2005, 12:38 PM)
"you bringing this guy here to check out the car shows that you don't trust me."

Trust is something you earn. The dealer acting like he did proves he doesn't deserve to be trusted.
Carlitos Way
Tell your friend to look at Bob Mitchell's 74... that thing is sweet... I had a chance to drive it this weekend to the German Auto Fest. The car rides really nice, and it's THE BEST SHIFTING 914 I've driven (I've really only driven 5, but that thing is sweet!!!).

He can afford to pay for the shipping, and will get a car that is well cared and maintained.
jet1
Thomas,

I wish I had someone like you to help me out when I bought my first 914. I had to learn what to look out for the hard way. Good job!

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.