Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Harbor Freight Failures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Earlier today my metal shears/snips died and now my right angle die grinder is dead.

Arguably both were my fault, but still... sad.gif

The shears died when I was trying to cut 1/8" aluminum stock. They made three cuts fine, and on the fourth, the main pivot bolt broke. dry.gif

The right angle die grinder died because the gears inside that make the 90 degree transfer stripped out. I think this is related to a retaining clip that came loose previously. I think when that got loose it chewed up the gears and then the rough edges and metal particles did the rest. dry.gif

So it off the HF for some new tools. The new right angle grinder will get some locktite first thing so that retaining ring will not come loose. wink.gif
Jeff Bonanno
Mark,

were these the pneumatic versions? (gulp - i have both!)

jbb
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jeff Bonanno @ Sep 10 2005, 03:23 PM)
Mark,

were these the pneumatic versions? (gulp - i have both!)

jbb

hijacked.gif

Jeff - how is new york???
McMark
The shears were hand operated. The die grinder was pneumatic. biggrin.gif On the die grinder, you can check the retaining ring (blue arrow).
Katmanken
Yup,

Cheep Chinese POS.

I ate a Harbor Freight pneumatic sawzall this week. Screws on the back installed crooked, screw holding the blade cover was stripped, lotsa metal shards coming out after oiling, and then it just quit after less than an hours use.

Solution? No more $40 Harbor Freight crap for me. Bought a Craftsman 13 amp sawzall for $100. Take it back if it breaks.

Ken

McMark
Rich bastard. lol2.gif

J/K.
Trekkor
I don't like HF.
Never have. It's like an indoor flea market. unsure.gif

Only thing I have ever bought from there was razor blades and grinder wheels.

If you need to use a tool more than a couple times a year,
DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

How would you feel if I showed up with a HF tile saw?

Buy Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch.
I'll stoop to Ryobi for light duty, rarely used tools.

Again, do as you please. Tools should be an investment, not a liabilty.

KT
GWN7
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 10 2005, 03:49 PM)
I don't like HF.

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

KT

Milwaukee is owned by Ryobi now...... ohmy.gif and Ryobi has changed hands (or divisions of it) 4 times in the last 5 yrs.
grantsfo
I have found that buying cheap HF product insurance is the most economical when buying their crap. Bought a $70 pressure washer it failed in a few months after extensive use and abuse. Brought it back and was given a new one no questions asked. It has been fine for multiple uses.

You might just try bringing it back and saying you have product insurance. They never validated whether I had insurance or not. I just said I have insurance on this product and a guy brought out a new product.
grantsfo

KT

I'd say I want a 10% discount! biggrin.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 10 2005, 07:49 PM)
I don't like HF.

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

KT

agree.gif For the most part.

I buy all my sand paper, grinding wheels, flapper disks etc. there.

However I did purchase a spray gun there last weekend. Makes a good primer gun, cheap also, $40 on sale.

As for tools I use frequently.. never.
Sammy
So, you're out what, $35?
Buy new ones and throw them away when they break, then buy another set. that should last you a lifetime and cost the same as one craftsman POS tool (also made in china or india).

I have been using HF tools for years and have never had anything fail except i broke a handle on a framing hammer due to mis-use, the gave me a new one free.

If you are into name brands all I have to say is a fool and his money.............
Jeff Bonanno
Hey Aaron!

HIJACK
New York is treating me well. i am still living in jersey and commuting to the city each day. we are trying to finalize a deal on a house in westchester - it has a garage which may yet support a teener addiction. my workshop is still in long term storage sad.gif

got a faculty job at columbia univ and a directorship at a facility based at city college of ccny. beats the unemployment line.

miss the sun and fun of socal tho...
END HIJACK

jbb
McMark
$35 ohmy.gif

The grinder was like $10. Or I can go to a "real" store and pay $50 or $75. Hmmmmmm. dry.gif
Trekkor
Here's my final comment on this subject:

You can buy high quality tools that will last for years or you can save a little money intially, but spend countless hours returning and replacing them later for years.

OUT...

KT
McMark
Are you saying I can't count? blink.gif
Trekkor
I don't understand the question? ph34r.gif

That doesn't count as another comment... lol2.gif

KT
airsix
QUOTE (Sammy @ Sep 10 2005, 05:01 PM)
So, you're out what, $35?
Buy new ones and throw them away when they break, then buy another set. that should last you a lifetime and cost the same as one craftsman POS tool (also made in china or india).

I have been using HF tools for years and have never had anything fail except i broke a handle on a framing hammer due to mis-use, the gave me a new one free.

If you are into name brands all I have to say is a fool and his money.............

Sammy made me a HF convert. Stuff works fine if you

• don't work beyond the machines capabilities
  • be diligent about maintenance - that means keep things tight and lubed
  • use the tools in a non-production environment (ie home shop)

True, the stuff is not the best quality. BUT, it puts some specialty operations within reach of the common man. If you are diligent about the maintenance (more than you would a high quality tool) and under-work the tool (ie if it says it cuts 14ga. don't use it for anyting heavier than 16ga.) the stuff will last years and years. Certain tools I demand be of top quality (like my welder) but all my "grunt work" tools are the cheap HF stuff. For as little as I use them (compared to a production environment) they are the most economical solution.

-Ben M.

ps - About cutting the 1/8" aluminum - HF has a great little vert/horiz metal bandsaw that's just the ticket for that. Mine has been cutting tool steel up to 5/8" and titanium sheet on a weekly basis for 3 years. For just $165 it was a great investment.
McMark
Well I broke down and bought the real deal at my local NAPA. $70. ohmy.gif Nice tool though. Used it all day today already. The expensive one definitely spins more smoothly than the HF one.
mightyohm
I am a big fan of HF. Do you really need to spend 5x more on a name brand bench vise, for example? It's just a hunk of metal...

SpecialK
The failure of your HF grinder is most likely due to the lack of the proper gear lube (tube and injection gun pictured in the lower/center). I have to use a right-angle die grinder, and numerous other pneumatic tools all day, every day, and if you don't keep the gear head lubed (about once a month) they will overheat and die regardless of the initial quality of the tool. There should be a little zert on the back of the gear head housing........one pump of the lube'll do ya!
Brett W
Harbor Frieght has its uses. Their grinders feel like shit. To sloppy and harsh. My Dewalt side grinder is super smooth and doesn't bog out like the toys from HF. But I will buy things like grinder wheels, C-clamps, magnetic tool trays, tarps, tie downs, etc. That kind of stuff is what they are good for. No need paying Sears or Mac 20-50 dollars for a tool tray when you can buy the same one for 2$ at HF.

Tools are an investment and if you use them often and hard then buy good stuff. If you hardly use them, may go with cheap shit.
maf914
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Sep 10 2005, 04:04 PM)

KT

I'd say I want a 10% discount! biggrin.gif

Trekkor, That's an interesting statement. And a good response, too. laugh.gif

Should you show up with gold-plated tools?

A local heating and air conditioning company has several big shiny new pickup trucks with their flashy logos plastered all over them. These trucks also have big 20" chrome bling-bling wheels. Every time I see them I think of wastefull expense. I have no personal experience with the company nor have I heard anything about them. They may be fair and reasonable for all I know. But, to me, the image is not encouraging.
RON S.
I don't like HF.

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

KT

The label on the box say's it all.

"Made In China"

Cheap P.O.S. Been There,Done That.

Even the grinding wheels wear out faster than the ones you buy at a welding shop.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Ron
Rhodes71/914
If it wasn't for HF I prolly wouldn't be driving my car right now, I wouldn't have been able to afford parts 'cause I spent too much on tools.

HF been good to me so far, knock knock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.