Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Pyrometer - what to look for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Ok, I admit it. I am / was one of those guys that thought people that constantly checked their tire pressure and tire temps after every run at a AX were screwy.gif but now since I drop some $$ for my V710's I will be paying better attention to my tires. With this in mind I was counting my pennies in thoughts of buying a tire pyrometer. Question is is one better than another and why? confused24.gif
VegasRacer
The 2 common styles of pyrometers are either with a probe or a laser.
I have only used the laser type. I like it better because you only need one hand to operate it. I think the probe style would be more awkward to use in other application where it is hard to reach or you might risk burning your hand.

They do make some of the probe style specifically for tire temps. They might be optimum for this single purpose, however, I figure if I am going to have a $100 toy tool, I want to be able to play with it in as many other ways as possible (checking oil lines, tranny, rotors and everything else I can point the laser at).
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Sep 11 2005, 12:13 AM)
Question is is one better than another and why?

watch a race some time and see what the Michelin, Goodyear, Hoosier, and Yokohama techs use...

the surface of a tire cools fairly rapidly, and if you *really* need to know rubber temperature as accurately as possible, you'll need to stick a needle probe into the rubber.

for most of us, actual temps are meaningless and we're only interested in moving trends to get them where we want them. More or less camber? more or less pressure? for these questions and others of general versatility, the noncontact methods seem to be "good enough."
TimT
Pony up a few more sheckels, and get one that has memory..you dont have to remember temps or jot them down. they are stored in memory for you to review

Trekkor
I got mine at NAPA auto parts...

hand-held Raytek "MiniTemp"

9volt. Around $80.

KT
Trekkor
I get bored huh.gif

KT
joeav8tor
I have the laser type that I used for stock car racing...it is important to get the temps as soon as you get off the track...(tires cool quickly) have someone that is competent shoot the tires for you while you are in the car...you can turn the wheel while they shoot the tires...and like tim t said get the one that records the temps if you can, it is easier than writing them down...same procedure each time...for stock cars I did
right front....outside...middle...inside of tire (steering wheel to left) helps expose the tire.
right rear.....O....M.....I
left rear.......O....M.....I
left front......O.....M....I
joe
Sammy
I have the Raytek Raynger ST2L.
Similar to the ones pictured but slightly more upscale, it works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.