Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gr_elvis
I bought a steering wheel and adapter used off ebay and when I attempted to install it I found that the hole in the adapter on the wheel would not fit the spline on my column. What do I do now? Is it because of the year that it is different mine is a 1970 914 4 . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Fred smash.gif
ArtechnikA
the splines are actually all the same, although the depth is different.
if the adapter won't fit your splines, either because the diameter is wrong, or because the number or configuration of the splines themselves are different, you have an adapter for another kind of car...
olav

Can you get the the steering wheel to go on the splines partially?

If so I had the problem whereby the splines on the new steering wheel were too "sharp" or "deep".

I rolled up some sand paper and smoothed down the splines on the steering wheel a little and the steering wheel eventually fit on the steering shaft.

I only did this after I matched up the old steering wheel splines with the new one to determine the they were identical except that the new steering wheel splines where "sharper" and stuck out enough to prevent it from doing on properly.

TimT
Actually at some point over the years, the number of splines on the steering column did change. I base this on my experience with an early 911, and trying to fit a "late" Momo wheel. The Momo adapter I recieved didnt fit, and after some examination I realized the spline count on the adapter, and shaft were different. a few phone call to the guy that sold me the wheel/adapter confirmed I needed a different adapter.

I have a feeling the same applies to 914s
TINCAN914
I had a siliar probem on mine.
I purchased a momo adapter, when I went to put it on it didn't want to go. I wiped down the splines and then used a little grease on both pieces.Took a rubber mallet and tapped a few times and it slid on and off...
Jeroen
QUOTE (TimT @ Sep 11 2005, 03:08 PM)
Actually at some point over the years, the number of splines on the steering column did change.

AFAIK, the splines on the 914 and 911 are all the same up to 1989
The 964 model is the first 911 to have different splines (same as a 944 IIRC)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.