Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am going to New Orliens tomorow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I am up on the out of town list and get to go to the big "un" easy wacko.gif My job is to stay at the airport and make sure all our aircraft that come in go back out. From what the last guys that went say hope the wind is from the west. A breaze off the flood waters is not a good thing icon8.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
seanery
take a sanding mask with you, may help block the smell a bit.
Foxman
Larry, did you get my e-mail yesterday about the engine? My buddy wants to pick it up this weekend.
spare time toys
QUOTE (Foxman @ Sep 11 2005, 09:56 AM)
Larry, did you get my e-mail yesterday about the engine? My buddy wants to pick it up this weekend.

No I didnt. It went out the door yesterday about 9AM. Brotherbob came over from Granbury of all places and took it home. I told him he should have came out to the swap meet/car show biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
Larry, good luck. I have a team of 6 down there now, actually in Baton Rouge working with ALLTEL. Once we get the ok they will be going in to N.O. just down the street from the Airport is the ALLTEL switching office.

Where are they going to put you up at? doe's it having running CLEAN water? If not bring some of those baby ready to use wash towels. And for gods sake don't leave your work area, still a lot of bad things happen down there that doesn't make it to TV.

Becareful

edit: are your shots up to date? if not that would be a good idea to get that done before you go. Had all my guys get their booster shot before they went down.
spare time toys
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Sep 11 2005, 10:43 AM)
Where are they going to put you up at? doe's it having running CLEAN water? If not bring some of those baby ready to use wash towels. And for gods sake don't leave your work area, still a lot of bad things happen down there that doesn't make it to TV.

Becareful

edit: are your shots up to date? if not that would be a good idea to get that done before you go. Had all my guys get their booster shot before they went down.

All shots up to date. Will never get out of the airport. I work for Southwest Airlines. We ride in on the first A/C in the morning hang around so if any break we fix em or ship em and then head back out on the last one out. Told to bring PB&J sandwiches and they have sodas on the flights when they get there. As for the baby wipes I always have those in my down line bag. You never know what you find at some of the places we get sent unsure.gif
jd74914
I would also bring some of that "waterless soap stuff" that kills germs.

Good luck
seanery
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Sep 11 2005, 11:51 AM)
I would also bring some of that "waterless soap stuff" that kills germs.

Good luck

Purel, good idea...go to Sam's or Costco and get the biggest bottle!
spare time toys
Just got back home.When we flew in it didnt look all that bad. We came in from the west landing on runway 10 its the one you come in over the swamps to. There would be a matress or chunk of a tin roof every so often but not much else. We parked by the "B" concorse and could look across the road at some old buildings who had the roofs blown off and one had fallen down. There was a place I used to get Corvette parts over there. The air smelled like a old stagnent swamp. The military has taken over most of the airport and "comendeered" all the tugs and most bag carts. I dont know why they have them all I watched as they just drove around pointlessly, They have broken into our ramp agents weight room and are using the equipment and I watched as they bent the rim on the BB hoop the rampers had put up by slam dunking and hanging on it. I told the one GI if he kept lifting weight and playing basket ball one day he to could be a ramp rat biggrin.gif I hung out by our plane and watched the constant flow of helecopters I have never seen so many. This one guy tried to get on the plane saying he was from the NY Times and was doing a story about Southwest starting service back up and needed to get photos inside the plane. We told him he could take al the shots he wanted of the outside but he is not to go inside. He said he was calling his editor and calling off the article then we said beat it. ar15.gif When it was time to go we climed to 5000 feet then made a loop of down town. What a mess there is still a crap load of water there. The roof on the dome didnt look that bad more like some hatches had blown off and the white coating pealed off. The french quater was dry and Jackson Square had nice green grass. Barges were going up river and it looked like other that the flood area stuff was starting to come back to life. wacko.gif
Qarl
Thanks for the update and the story.
seanery
Is this a 1 day thing, or are going there every day?
spare time toys
QUOTE (seanery @ Sep 12 2005, 09:06 PM)
Is this a 1 day thing, or are going there every day?

It was a 1 dayer. All the big wigs went down to see it the airport was actually able to support revenue flights. I dont know what the decision was my purpose was to make sure the plane we flew in on was not messed with so that it would fly out huh.gif Bunch of VPs and directors. Total of 40 folks counting me. Best part was we hauled back a bunch of CASH. cool_shades.gif They said for like 2 days before the storm if you came to the airport it was a cash only thing for all airlines. They did not get it out before the storm and put it in 3 safes ohmy.gif . The guy incharge of it looked like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs lol2.gif
Hawktel
Lol the ass I work with was just mocking me the other day as I said I was taking precations in the future, and getting a few days water food and some cash set aside for a emergency.

Somedays you got to have cash.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.