Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear suspension console repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
I haven't been unable to fully use the brakes on my 914 because the car would pitch violently to the left if I exceeded ~.6gs under braking. After chasing many other problems on my car, this one remained. I thought I had cured it more than once.

Turns out the right rear outer suspension mount to the body was slowly, but surely seperating inself from my car. A previous owner had done a poor repair for a leaky battery or some accident damage and I didn't address enough of it when I did some repairs.

Some pics... this is the before picture, after I cut out some of the forward sheet metal, but the console remains. Notice the crack at the upper left of the console. There was almost nothing holding the front side of this console, which would explain why the right rear wheel would toe out under hard braking.
groot
From the front...

groot
From underneath... notice there is nothing holding this console from underneath....
groot
Console removed
groot
Here's my repair... mostly complete. My brother is machining a slotted bracket to attach to the trailing arm bearing... which will allow me to use spacers to adjust toe and camber.

The forward lower attachment on the body connects to a 1x3x.125 box section that I welded in to repair part of this issue last year.
McMark
Crazy! I hope it works well for you.
ChrisFoley
Interesting solution. Are you going to close up the hole with sheet metal?
Its a real good thing you discovered this before heading to Mid-Ohio.
groot
I'm glad I found it, too. I've raced on this for 1 year now.... ouch. It was getting worse.

I'll cover it up eventually, but probably not before the runoffs. I figure I'll do the other side over the winter and then cover everything up.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.