Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil on engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I have oil on the left side engine tin and I can't see where it is coming from. There is a hose that connects there but I have tighten the clamp and it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?

TIA
bd1308
take a can of carb cleaner clean everything out....let it sit for several hours....go driving and look whaere its coming from

Aaron Cox
do you have a breather setup?

These cars tend to get a light mist of oil on them out the breather.....

check your head vent tubes.... make sure they are on all the way and clamped nice and tight....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 11 2005, 04:08 PM)
take a can of carb cleaner clean everything out....let it sit for several hours....go driving and look whaere its coming from

and kiss your NON powdercoated engine tin goodbye....

carb cleaner eats paint slap.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 11 2005, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 11 2005, 04:08 PM)

and kiss your NON powdercoated engine tin goodbye....

carb cleaner eats paint slap.gif

agree.gif

Carb cleaner too strong for paint.
mikelsr
Thanks for the pointers. I thought that the oil was coming from the head vent tube and I had already tightened up the clamp on the hose. I guess I should also have said that I am running carbs (Dellorto) with the K&N filters (I haven't oiled them).

I will check the hose going to the vent tube, maybe it has a hole in it that comes and goes with temperature/pressure.

Also what is the highest-safest oil temperature? I was running at 210 yesterday coming home from an AX. It was around 90 out and I had an hour and a half drive to get back home.

Again TIA
Dave_Darling
212F is a great temperature for motor oil to be. (Others say 180F, but I feel that's not warm enough!) Helps boil out the water in the oil quickly. 240F is "hot", 250F is "too damn hot". As in "shut it down right now!"

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.