Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name that car!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
OK, name THIS one!
mharrison
Looks like a VW Beetle and a Tucker Torpedo had an illicit relationship.........
914rrr
Hint: this car has something in common with BOTH the Tucker and the Beetle!
bondo
QUOTE (914rrr @ Sep 11 2005, 06:39 PM)

Rear engine?
tracks914
QUOTE (914rrr @ Sep 11 2005, 05:39 PM)

Both Fugly??? smoke.gif
914rrr
Correct on both! 'Nuther hint: All 3 are air cooled and rear engined!
lapuwali
Tatra.
jd74914
its russian, and its in the january edition of automobile

i don't remember what it is though
lapuwali
Not Russian. Czech.
914rrr
Yep. Tatra T87. Air cooled, tail dragger, overhead cam, V8! Same guys who made THIS air cooled engine.

OK, smartypants, what years were they produced and what country? Also, who did Tatra sue for patent infringement?
lapuwali
Well, I just said it was Czech.

They sued Porsche (the design firm) after the appearance of the KdFWagen (the Beetle predessor, pre-VW) before the war, which rather too closely resembled the T97, a smaller version of the T87. VW eventually settled the legal action many years later.

The V8 was used from before the war until well after, in the T603 and T613s, which were produced until quite recently (mid 90s).

A T603 appeared in the Lemony Snicket movie.

What do I win?
914rrr
DAMN! I'd say you won my total admiration! smilie_pokal.gif Sorry, I didn't see your post with the country before I posted the question. Hell, I didn't know a Tatra was in that movie...or ANY movie for that matter!! I did see a 30 minute promo "movie" of the T603. It was from the 50's and was colorized in day-glo colors. They had it doing all kinds of crazy shit, like running through rivers, out-runnings cops, sliding down hillsides, plowing through snow, etc. Weird. In case anybody cares, the engine posted above is an aircooled, turbocharged DIESEL that goes in one of these.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.