Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 post or mid rise lift?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
OK, I have a Kwik Lift system now (see pic below with old parts car) it works fine but I have the green light to look for a 4 post lift. I have found the Pro Park 7 at Greg Smith Equipment main feature I like is it runs off of 110v, sure might not be the fastest going up but that is ok. Comes free with casters, jack tray, and three drip trays.

I wouldn't use this to store the car since I don't think I would have enough clearance to raise it all the way up with the garage door open, plus there is support beam and crap that would keep me from moving the lift closer to the back of my garage. mad.gif

I would use this for work on the 914 but it would be nice not to have lay on my back to change oil & stuff in the truck or wife's car. I wouldn't be able to lift either of them high enough to stand under them but I could us my rolling stool.

Another thing I was looking at is the PRO 6MR lift I know someone here has this or something close to it. I'm just a little concerned about the stability of this lift but if you watch the video they show it lifting a full size truck. So I'm looking for input. The 4 post is $1,895 plus shipping and the 6MR is $1,295 plus shipping. I could pick these up since Indy is only a couple hour drive and save on shipping idea.gif
lapuwali
I've not had either (and, in fact, have considered a Kwik-Lift). Like you, my garage ceiling is too low to use a four-post as a storage lift for any cars I have or would be likely to have, so I've scratched that off the list. The mid-rise lift, however, is nearly ideal for any rear engined car, and many mid-engined cars, since the lift isn't in the way of anything you usually need to work on (like the exhaust or driveshaft on a front-engine/rear-drive car. Since you can also work on the wheels and suspension much easier than with any of the under-the-wheels lifts, I'd think that would really be a better choice.
gregrobbins
I am giving serious thought to a four post. I have been looking at the same one. I would be able to stack two 914s in my garage. But the concern I have is how wide the lift is. Since I am looking for something to use for working on my cars and storage, the four post seems a good solution. Mike Zois has or had one and liked it as I recall.
aircooledboy
Keep in mind the lowered height of the mid lifts though. My buddy Stef has one in the back bay of his shop, but I can't use it because my front suspension catches on it when I try to drive over it. unsure.gif

I've got a 2 poster on my wish list, but I gots lotsa room. wub.gif
qa1142
Mid-rise smilie_pokal.gif

Tell Santa I live in lake Zurich, Illinois laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
solution to 2 post not low enufff.....

wooden ramps. gets body higher.... lift points now fit under the car...
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 12 2005, 11:10 AM)

??????

Never had trouble getting the lift arms of a 2 post under a 914. It is the mid-lifts like the one Garold is talking about that are tricky. Sure, you could put a couple 2x10s on the ground on either side, but that is sort of a PITA.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Sep 12 2005, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 12 2005, 11:10 AM)

??????

Never had trouble getting the lift arms of a 2 post under a 914. It is the mid-lifts like the one Garold is talking about that are tricky. Sure, you could put a couple 2x10s on the ground on either side, but that is sort of a PITA.

thats what i meant....

mid rise... the guy had 2 2x10 slats on either side....

drive car up... then start lifting....
Joe Bob
You have more room to work with on a two post lift. Real low cars have issues with tall arms though. I don't think they are as safe as a four poster.

I like the four post with drive on ramps but it's adviseable to get a sliding jack that rests in the ramps for removing wheels, engine drops and other jobs. Using a screw jack or other mickey mouse method can be dangerous.

MOST four posters have the sliding jacks but they are extra. So factor that into the costs....

Mine is a "Direct Lift". Got it at GAF three years ago. They had a better than list price if you bought it at the show....$1800 installed, if I recall....
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 12 2005, 09:11 AM)
You have more room to work with on a two post lift. Real low cars have issues with tall arms though. I don't think they are as safe as a four poster.

agree.gif

My only concern about the mid rise lift is that I wouldn't feel safe working on a car under it. I'm not to keen on working under the car when it is on jack stands, though the mid rise would be better (safer?) but I like the 4 post.

Going to spend some time measuering things this week. If I end up getting either one of these anyone interested in a Kwik lift for cheap?
Joe Bob
How cheap?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 12 2005, 10:42 AM)
How cheap?

how cheap indeed?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 12 2005, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 12 2005, 10:42 AM)
How cheap?

how cheap indeed?

Get in line weenie.... dry.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 12 2005, 09:42 AM)
How cheap?

Not sure yet. I paid $999 plus shipping, so $600 plus shipping or you are welcome to come pick it up. cool.gif

Its not offically for sale just yet, but if I have my way it will be in the next few weeks. biggrin.gif
John
I have used 2-post asymetrical lifts (my preference), 4-post lifts (second choice) and in-floor central single post lifts.

I have no concerns with 2-post lifts as long as the floor is in good condition and the lift was installed correctly. (I would buy a reputable made in USA name brand lift and not a Chineese made lift)

The 4-post lifts are nice to use as alignment racks, but they tend to get in the way when working under the car.

The single post lifts are my last choice. They require a pit to be cut into the floor to install, they are a maintenance issue, and they obstruct the underside of the vehicle.

I would recommend a 7000# or a 9000# Rotary 2-post asymetrical lift. I've been using mine without issue for the last 11 years. I can even put the Suburban up on it and feel comfortable under it.

They can shorten the posts during installation for low headroom garages.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Sep 12 2005, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 12 2005, 09:42 AM)
How cheap?

Not sure yet. I paid $999 plus shipping, so $600 plus shipping or you are welcome to come pick it up. cool.gif

Its not offically for sale just yet, but if I have my way it will be in the next few weeks. biggrin.gif

My 911 engine chip partner is looking for one....I will send him the link. His name is Ingo.

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Sep 12 2005, 10:06 AM)
I would recommend a 7000# or a 9000# Rotary 2-post asymetrical lift. I've been using mine without issue for the last 11 years. I can even put the Suburban up on it and feel comfortable under it.

They can shorten the posts during installation for low headroom garages.

I don't know why you'd get a four post when you can get a two post asymetrical. My Rotary has been in service for about ten years now, with no problems. Rotary is a "pro" brand, but there are more competitively priced US made two posters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.