Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mini Starter problem? or what
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenpolives
2 weeks ago I installed a mini starter, worked great. I did make a little spark doing the install. Now when I try and start the car I hear the fuel pump run (carbs) and the starter is spining but I get nothing. The car isn't even makling a chugging sound. I tested for spark at the plugs and coil and I didn't get any.

All the main fuses look ok, the normal dash lights go on when I try and start the car. Any idesa? also, do you think I could push start the car?

Thanks
swl
Battery connections? Battery itself?
kenpolives
Battery is good, connections nice and tight, I even tried a boost starter/charger and nothing.
swl
Just to clarify your description - the starter is spinning but the engine is not turning over?
kenpolives
yes, I can hear the starter but the engine is not turning over. I pushed the car in gear (to check if part of the flywheel was bad) but no change.
ottox914
No spark at the plugs or coil, huh. Ignition seems a good place to start. How's the guts of the dizzy? Points and condenser, or some other sort of trigger, pertronix or crane or some such thing. Perhaps the trigger, what ever it be, is fried?
dakotaewing
QUOTE (kenpolives @ Sep 12 2005, 07:16 AM)
yes,  I can hear the starter but the engine is not turning over.  I pushed the car in gear (to check if part of the flywheel was bad) but no change.

Sounds like the starter is not engaging the flywheel.... Could be a bad silinoid (sp) on the starter...?
Try push starting the car IF this is not the first time to turn the engine over since its been in the car - otherwise take the starter out and get it tested at your local FLAPS....
Thom
URY914
Sounds like the bendix (I think that the name of it) is not allowing the gear on the starter to engage the flywheel. When you energize the starter the gear on the starter will/should pop out and contact the teeth of the flywheel.

Or you have some teeth missing on the flywheel, but I doubt this.

Put you old starter back in and try it and have the new starter tested at you FLAPS.
swl
Since this is a new install I suppose it is possible that the bolts have loosened off the starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.