Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint removal tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I'm getting ready to do my first engine drop. I hear the CV joint tool is elusive to find. Does anyone have a source/name/price for it?

Thanks,

Carlos
Aaron Cox
any bugshop....

8mm triple square tool....NOT TORX IIRC
URY914
Most all VW shops have them. Go to the counter and ask the 18 year old kid with the stud in this eyebrow for 6-point socket thing for CV joints.

"Dude, got one right here somewhere..." wacko.gif

Plus the usual on-line catalog stores hanve them.
fatlando
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 12 2005, 07:42 AM)
I'm getting ready to do my first engine drop. I hear the CV joint tool is elusive to find. Does anyone have a source/name/price for it?

Thanks,

Carlos

Carlito,

Just did my first drop yesterday, using the pelican article. took me about 3 hours.

be sure to disconnect everything. when you've done it, do it again, because i came across some more wires that nearly brought my car of the jack stands as we were rolling the motor out!!

it's a great feeling too!.

Word of advice. Remove your heat exchangers so you can get some good torquing on the cv joints. I thought mine were stripped when they weren't. I just didnt get a good angle. if you have a problem one, roll the wheel up so you have more room to pull.

good luck

fat lando

and your tool looks like this.
Cap'n Krusty
While most 914s came with 6mm allen socket head bolts on the CVs, they've pretty much all been replaced with bolts that take an 8mm "triple square" tool. BE SURE to clean the recesses well before trying to use the tool! If you don't, odds are you'll regret your oversight. I would look before buying the tool, and I would use new bolts and washers when reinstalling the joints. The Cap'n
Kerrys914
It also helps to have the CV bolt at the 12:00 o'clock position when installing and removing. wink.gif
bperry
These are available at both AutoZone and PepBoys.
The clerks may say they don't have it or don't know what you
are talking about, but every one I've been in has them.
Cost is about $8-12

--- bill
BMartin914
I bought a set of 4 triple square bits at Tool King for....$3 biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.