Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 among "dorkiest sports cars of all time"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
In Bruce McCall's cartoon on the last page.

Our beloved Porsche has been lumped in with the DeLorean, X1/9, Bricklin, Saab Sonnet, Triumph Stag, Matra M530, and various other monstrosities...

Brootal! ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Meanwhile, the Miata is named one of the 10 greatest sports cars of all time. Now, I think the Miata is a great car and all, but C'MON!

Maybe I am a dork...after all? ohmy.gif

pete
Jenny
Dork! wink.gif

Jen <-- Dorkette
markb
Some people have all their taste in their mouth. smile.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Sep 12 2005, 10:48 AM)
Maybe I am a dork...after all? ohmy.gif

pete

You're just now realizing this? laugh.gif

Gandini (X 1/9 designer) will be happy about this...
horizontally-opposed
Oh, so maybe this explains why I had a strange hankering for the mint Gran Torino wagon I saw on the freeway yeterday...

...and why all the coolest gals love 914s?

biggrin.gif

pete
tbil
I owned a Sonnett for 3 years, what does that say about me? total dork I guess.
lapuwali
I like the Sonnetts and the X1/9, so I guess the 914 is just about the perfect car for me.
rick 918-S
Just one more reason not to renew my subscription.... mad.gif Not everyone fits into the designer automobile mold. bootyshake.gif What was he thinking... wacko.gif I can't think of a bigger jouralistic blunder than to take a shotgun to a wide swath of your bread and butter readership... ar15.gif Let's not just insult one car makers fan base, lets insult a half dozen at once. screwy.gif
DrifterJay
well said Rick wink.gif
North Bay 914
Tell them how you feel....my second car was an X1/9. I was glad to see it go...

feedback@automobilemag.com

He is in this list of fine folks...

CONTRIBUTING WRITERS
RONALD AHRENS
EZRA DYER
RICHARD FEAST
TIMOTHY FERRIS
PRESTON LERNER
BRUCE McCALL
KEITH MARTIN
BOB MERLIS
ANNE PROFFIT
KIRK SEAMAN
MICK WALSH
GARY WITZENBURG

Fire for effect.
Dr. Roger
Stag,,,, yummy-licious.
user posted image

monocoque construction was employed, as was fully independent suspension—MacPherson struts in front, semi-trailing arms at the rear. Braking was by front disc and rear drum brakes, while steering was power-assisted rack and pinion.

and a V8. albiet unreliable.

my first experience with one was a high school friends father who had one with glass packs. i though he was the coolest. i think he did the rover engine upgrade on his as it was a daily driver.
Targa
Personally, I would rather be a dork than a nerd or even a geek. I believe we all fall into one of these catagories. Why is it that the older I get, the less I care about what others think or say?
mharrison
Sent my e-mail to feedback.
Here is my favorite line from it:

"I wonder what type of marketing genius came up with the plan to alienate readers who happen to own and probably cherish any of these many automobiles. " I hope that gets somebody upset!

Perhaps I should sell my 914 now. I didn't know it was Dorky!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE (Targa @ Sep 12 2005, 02:41 PM)
Personally, I would rather be a dork than a nerd or even a geek. I believe we all fall into one of these catagories. Why is it that the older I get, the less I care about what others think or say?

I don't think you can own a 914 while caring what others think...and Boxster ownership ain't much different, at least in Porsche circles.

Come to think of it, I've had a line of dorky cars, like an XeRati (XR4Ti) and a Subaru WRX.

Yep, it's pretty much comfirmed, then.

pete
SirAndy
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Sep 12 2005, 11:48 AM)
Maybe I am a dork...after all?

agree.gif

me too boldblue.gif
Jamie
I can't imagine anyone who has ever driven a WRX calling it dorky!!??
mskala
Honda del sol is dorky. 914 is eccentric.
Seagrave
Quite frankly, who cares what the f*ck Bruce McCall thinks? Like I'm gonna run out and buy something (or not) simply because some self serving, half assed, slick paged pseudo-journalist thinks of himself as an intellectual. The world is full of experts. Bite me.
jimtab
QUOTE (Seagrave @ Sep 12 2005, 06:16 PM)
Quite frankly, who cares what the f*ck Bruce McCall thinks? Like I'm gonna run out and buy something (or not) simply because some self serving, half assed, slick paged pseudo-journalist thinks of himself as an intellectual. The world is full of experts. Bite me.

agree.gif I told em to bring their 85hp car to one of our autox events and get his fat ass waxed...I say sheeplove.gif wavey.gif
rick 918-S
flame mail sent!
mikey
Dorky? I think the Saab Sonnet is classic - especially the 2-stroke ones.

He's right about the Matra though. It's dorky
Eddie914
Has a Miata ever run at LeMans?

Eddie
mharrison
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Sep 12 2005, 11:11 PM)

Eddie

OOOOOHHHH, Now that is a great point! KUDOS to Eddie!
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Sep 12 2005, 11:11 PM)

Eddie

Probably boldblue.gif

Does it have to be in the actual race biggrin.gif headbang.gif happy11.gif

BJH chairfall.gif
SpecialK
I think you guys just misinterpreted what the author dhead.gif was really trying to say. 914 owners, are the "dorkingest" car owners. cool_shades.gif

Main Entry: copulate

Part of Speech: verb

Definition: have sex

Synonyms: bang, bed, boff, breed, cohabit, conjugate, couple, dork, fool around, fornicate, have coition, have relations, have sex, hump, lay, lie with, make it, make love, make out, mate, screw, sleep together, sleep with, unite

Antonyms: abstain, refrain

Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.