Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel line up the tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Just use the nothing special rubber fuel line?

Or the SS braided. Or should I say $$ line?

I'm going to run one line only, no return line, as I run Webers. Gravity fed, low pressure.

KT
qa1142
could rub on things like the shifter. I would not do it.
Trekkor
dry.gif

I think SS lines are more durable than the brittle plastic junk.

Careful planning should win out.

KT
cdmcse
IMO, Hard steel lines would be safer to install and cheaper. I got mine from Napa for like $8 each and just slid them in. Granted my engine was out.
Aaron Cox
steel brake lines..
Marv's3.6six
I put a 1" emt conduit thru the tunnel. When I reassemble my car I will put rubber lines inside it!
McMark
unsure.gif

Steel brake lines.

Braided.....what? confused24.gif

Steel brake lines.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Sep 12 2005, 09:44 PM)
unsure.gif

Steel brake lines.

Braided.....what?  :confused:

Steel brake lines.

yup. big metal HARD steel brake lines.
J P Stein
I used AN6 braided SS. No drama.
TravisNeff
steel brake line.... mucho cheapo
J P Stein
With the braided line, you can run one continious lenght
from the tank to the fuel block......with the engine in place.
TravisNeff
Single line as JP states would be a pretty clean install, but us cheap bastards would cringe at the cost of 20ft of braided lines vs. $8 at flaps for brake line. You can do the steel line with the engine in the car, not so much fun though.
RON S.
I used 3/8" brake line for mine.

The thought of fumes,or fires convinced me that a little extra work might pay off later.

Safety first!

Ron
iamchappy
Ive run both blue line, and now SS6AN and 4AN up the right side of the tunnel.
hoses will eventually break down where as steel line wont.
Jeroen
(stainless) steel or copper hardline...
check the '914 info' link at the top of the page
there's a good tech article
billd
Trekkor, I just replaced both of my lines with solid 5/16 SS lines. I'll post some pictures soon. The line is available from Summit Racing and can be installed fairly easily with the engine in the car if you stop the hard line at the firewall and run hose from there (this is not what I did but what I should have done).
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 12 2005, 08:20 PM)
dry.gif

I think SS lines are more durable than the brittle plastic junk.

Careful planning should win out.

KT

That "brittle plastic junk" has lasted 35 years, and still going strong. If you're talking braided SS as a replacement, I've had nothing but leaks from that stuff, and have quit using is as oil line, preferring the plain black "push lock" hose used for industrial applications. Looks good, works well, NEVER leaks at the fittings, and doesn't look flashy. The Cap'n
Series9
I have rubber FI (high pressure) lines running the entire length. They're secured away from any moving parts.

To me, the 'safety' argument is pointless. We all have rubber lines in the engine bay and that's the place where a leak is dangerous. A leak in the center tunnel would be noticed immediately and wouldn't be dangerous. I have far fewer fittings in my fuel system, which I think is a very good thing.
brant
endless debate.
but trekkor, you will make minutely more HP if you run a recirculatory fuel system...

(cooler fuel)

something to think about why your there

brant
Britain Smith
I ran stainless lines in my 912 project and borrowed a 37degree flaring tool for the AN fittings...

user posted image

Do it once the right way and don't do it again.

-Britain
andys
Britain,

Great idea; solves a lot of adapting issues for AN stuff. Is that 37 degree flare a single or a double flare?

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.