Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats the best mpg
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
messix
on the a road run with the guys last month on back roads not even taken it easy i got 29.5mpg.
i'm trying something this tank while drivin to an fro to work, 8 miles of surface streets and a little freeway. short shift [edit; i ment skip shift] using 1st , 3rd, and 5th.
all on flat easy roads. use brakes only not down shifting while decel. or stopping.
its hard to not just row through the gears, but i'll try my best.
Pugbug
Downshifting while decelerating does not use gas, but not downshifting wears brakes faster.
I haven't checked my mileage....but not using nearly as much as my pickup, so i don't care... Gassed up today... $1.29 for a litre of 92 grade! 4.55 litres per imperial gallon. Yikes!
MattR
0 miles

1 gallon of gas

2 jackstands

unsure.gif
smg914
Back in the 70's on a trip from New Jersey to Lynchburg Virginia I went 550 miles on one tank full in my 1973 914 2.0.
lapuwali
QUOTE (Pugbug @ Sep 12 2005, 08:59 PM)
Downshifting while decelerating does not use gas, but not downshifting wears brakes faster.
I haven't checked my mileage....but not using nearly as much as my pickup, so i don't care... Gassed up today... $1.29 for a litre of 92 grade! 4.55 litres per imperial gallon. Yikes!

So, would you rather use brake pads to slow the car, or use the clutch to slow the car? SOMETHING has to slip, and brake pads are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than clutches...
pete-stevers
Well....the worst gas milage I got was when a gas line poped of, the motor shut off, I tried to start the car a couple of times....yup the ground was covered in gas, a nice big puddle.....but yippie mueba.gif ...no fire,
sorry for the hijacked.gif
JoeSharp
Soo,,, What is this, most of us don't have wdorking odometers and the rest are too embarassed to say?????
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
messix
if i understand l-jet f/i correctly the air valve senses fuel demand by how much air goes thru it. there for even when the throttle is closed there is still air going by the the throttle plate for idle. now under the high "vaccum" of decel. the engine is pulling more air passed the throttle plate even though its closed and this greater volume of air being sensed by the air valve and is firing longer fuel pulses to the injectors.

do i have this right or wrong
redshift
I dunno... I cheat.

I had this Saab, with all that information up to the second.. I loved doing the back side of hills in that thing... "Ahhh 143 miles per gallon.. I rock"...

M
redshift
QUOTE (messix @ Sep 13 2005, 01:38 AM)

do i have this right or wrong

If the TPS is at idle, that's how much gas is flowing... I am pretty sure.

M
TravisNeff
With my recently transplanted injected 2056 I think I got in the neighborhood of 23mpg, mixed driving. Engine had sat for a year, then before that it sat longer - so I think I have some crap in the injectors, all other components check out fine (mps was tested and charted by Brad Anders).

With the injected 1.7 I got 34mpg going out to WCC.

Gotta figure out why the mileage isn't that great in the 2.0
Type 4 Unleashed
After, all these years, collecting speedo's, I finally got one with a working odometer, and I just checked it the other day, 21.4, and thats with a 2.6 4 cyl with 48 Dell's and I would get more if I could keep my foot out of it happy11.gif
Gustl
if someone could tell me the conversion from liter to gallon I could calculate ...

normally my 1.8 L-Jet is about 8.5 - 9.0 liter on 100 km*
but I didn't try to save on fuel yet - the teener is my hobby, not my daily driver dry.gif

* 100 km = 62.5 miles (AFAIK)

SpecialK
My '74 2.0L got 50.7 mpg on a 180 mile leg of a trip from Chicago to St. Louis...all highway. After I fixed all of the vacuum leaks slap.gif it got significantly worse dry.gif (time to start pokin' some holes in stuff!)
Hammy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 12 2005, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (Pugbug @ Sep 12 2005, 08:59 PM)
  I haven't checked my mileage....but not using nearly as much as my pickup, so i don't care... Gassed up today... $1.29 for a litre of 92 grade!  4.55 litres per imperial gallon.   Yikes!

So, would you rather use brake pads to slow the car, or use the clutch to slow the car? SOMETHING has to slip, and brake pads are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than clutches...

dry.gif
So do I downshift or not? wacko.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Gustl @ Sep 12 2005, 11:23 PM)
if someone could tell me the conversion from liter to gallon I could calculate ...

but I didn't try to save on fuel yet - the teener is my hobby, not my daily driver dry.gif

1 L = 10 DL = 100 CL = 1000 ML

1 Gallon = 3.7854118 L

Little help from Sweden drunk.gif
iamchappy
I was able to get 72 while averaging 90 to 105 mph on a cross country trip.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
From Maumee to Effingham Ill. for the Fun Fest 37 MPG
Return 39 MPG about 400 miles each leg all but 50 miles Xway.
Iam leaving Fri For Kerrys event in Eastern Pa. Map Quest says 502 miles all turnpike will post results Mon.
1.7with small Webers 34's Dave slap.gif

Gint
Bay area to Denver, all highway, averaged 44 mpg in a 72 1.7.
Gustl
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Sep 13 2005, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Gustl @ Sep 12 2005, 11:23 PM)

but I didn't try to save on fuel yet - the teener is my hobby, not my daily driver  <_<

1 L = 10 DL = 100 CL = 1000 ML

1 Gallon = 3.7854118 L

Little help from Sweden drunk.gif

now that was really helpful beerchug.gif

if my calculation was correct, my teener goes about 27.8 mpg - through Tyrolean mountains and so rolleyes.gif

I'd say not that bad ...
DblDog
Salem, Oregon to the east bay (Oakland),,,non stop, all highway: 42 mpg, all stock 72 1.7. it was about 600+ miles. Part of Oregon and Nor Cal are really BORING! biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
I got 31mpg when I picked up my car, from Altanta to DC. That's with a 2.0 with webber 40's and going about 72mph the whole trip. Not so bad for a new-buy that hadn't been tuned up correctly.
davep
Back in the old days I used to calculate my mileage. With a '73 1.7 I used to get about 37 mpg on average. On long trips I could get around 50 mpg. I agree with Steve, 550 miles per tank was not unknown. One trip I calculated that on a portion of it I got close to 60 mpg.
Brando
1.8 with L-Jet. Changed to early 2.0 exhaust, no muffler, took off the 'snorkel' to my airbox and that's it. Valves are seriously out of adjustment.

I still average 28.4 mpg highway driving only (keepin the tach between 3000 & 3200 RPMs).

Much less for stop & go street traffic, of course. Somewhere around 18-22 (I get the RPMs up to 4500 & 5000 in 2nd and 3rd alot in street traffic).
goose2
1.7 D-Jet: 32 mpg mixed driving
2.4 carbed six: 21 mpg mixed (very hard not to put your foot down)
Bleyseng
I got 31.5mpg coming back from Aminity, Ore a few yrs ago. That was driving 80-90 mph at night on I-5
MartyYeoman
I'm shocked at how many working odometers there are on this thread.
Maybe everybody just estimates like me!
unsure.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Pugbug @ Sep 12 2005, 11:59 PM)

It also wears out piston rings. I personally would rather replace brake pads. wink.gif
goose2
I personally would rather replace brake pads.  

agree.gif brake pads much cheaper than clutches and gear parts.
Joe Ricard
There are some tall tales about milage. Some of ya'll are full of it.

My red Neck Racer gets such good gas milage that every 100 miles I have to take gas out so it don't spill out the filler neck. lol2.gif
airsix
If you get more than 27mpg then you are either running lean or you drive too slow. laugh.gif

Last summer I was doing tuning on the turbo and got 4mpg one afternoon (20 miles/ 5 gal.). Basically 20 miles at full throttle. I can understand why Jake needs so much fuel for his dyno runs. Under normal driving I get about 27mpg highway.

-Ben M.
davep
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Sep 13 2005, 11:30 AM)

No tall tales on my part. Mine was done cruising at 70 mph. Also, it was using stock tires, 165SR15. When I went to 185/70VR15 CN36's the mileage went down. Like everything else, it depends on conditions.
cooltimes
The Year was1970
1970 Porsche 914 1.7 (less than a month old)
Memphis TN to Panama City FL
via Jackson MS to Hattiesburg MS to Mobile AL to PC Florida
Distance of route taken =565 miles
914 Fuel tank 16.4
answer = 34 mpg using Premium gas
Total one way cost for fuel for the trip was about $6 or less.

And most thought the years 2000 on were going to be the good old days..... Flying cars, fueled by atoms.

merrill
I drove my 1.7 FI from Seattle to Reno and averaged 36 mpg for the trip.
My new 2.0 with webbers gets 29 when I don't get into it and 22-24 when "I drive it like I stole it!".
redshift
I put my motor in overrun.. it's still going to last around 90-100k before it needs a new car.. just like all the ones before it. (hopefully)

Oh, and on the teener miles per gallon, usually averaged, over 20 years, prolly about 20mpg.

M
theol00
....sounds like fishing stories to me - my Weber carburated 2.2 6cyl makes about 240 -260 miles on one tank - on a good day blink.gif
airsix
Seems like a lot of people with carbs are getting good mileage. Too good. Sounds like lean mixtures to me.

-Ben M.
SirAndy
QUOTE (davep @ Sep 13 2005, 10:09 AM)
Back in the old days I used to calculate my mileage. With a '73 1.7 I used to get about 37 mpg on average. On long trips I could get around 50 mpg. I agree with Steve, 550 miles per tank was not unknown. One trip I calculated that on a portion of it I got close to 60 mpg.

now here is what really irritates me ...

back in the days when the 914s were new, they were considered "gas-guzzlers" in germany.
at 30+ mpg ...

now, 35 years later (!) i just saw a commercial for some totally redesigned, totally new and totally fuel economical honda and they boast that it gets 30 mpg like this was pure magick ...

35 freaking years later!

am i the only one thinking this is nuts?
screwy.gif Andy
Flat VW
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 12 2005, 10:00 PM)

With the injected 1.7 I got 34mpg going out to WCC.

Gotta figure out why the mileage isn't that great in the 2.0

The 1.7 cars are great like that, NOT drag racers, without a doubt, but fantastic range, 34-35mpg Highway with a 75-80 Mph cruise.

John driving.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Sep 13 2005, 03:30 PM)

My red Neck Racer gets such good gas milage that every 100 miles I have to take gas out so it don't spill out the filler neck. lol2.gif

agree.gif

Some of these threads need to start with THIS IS NO BULLSHIT.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
type47fan
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 13 2005, 04:54 PM)

The 1.7 cars are great like that, NOT drag racers, without a doubt, but fantastic range, 34-35mpg Highway with a 75-80 Mph cruise.

agree.gif

Back in the late '70s, I drove my '72 1.7 120 miles round trip to work, 5 days/week and averaged between 36 - 38 MPG. Did this for 4 years on 165SR15 Michelins at 36 psi. However, I felt fortunate if I ever got over 26 MPG in my '76 2.0.
buck toenges
I drove from cincinnati Oh to Daytona beach fl back in 1979 for spring break. Gas was .69 a gallon(which was outrageous) It cost us $14.00 to drive 900 miles..... You do the math.
redshift
QUOTE (buck toenges @ Sep 13 2005, 09:05 PM)
I drove from cincinnati Oh to Daytona beach fl back in 1979 for spring break. Gas was .69 a gallon(which was outrageous) It cost us $14.00 to drive 900 miles..... You do the math.

2028.985 gallons?

M
effutuo101
San Jose to San Diego with a friend driving...26 MPG. San Diego to Denver...24 MPG...wife driving. She drives like she stole it. I don't know the speed, but she was clocking 26 - 32 second miles for hours. we made a 400 mile run in 4 hours 15 minutes....Yes, I take lessons from her! unsure.gif
Howard
That's nuttin'! One trip to Willow Springs I averaged 9750 mpg with the 2.0.
Send me $5 for setup and pictures.
Duh! I was towing it, ya nitwits. 97.5 miles estimate 1/10 of a gallon evaporation.
airsix
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Sep 13 2005, 03:46 PM)
now, 35 years later (!) i just saw a commercial for some totally redesigned, totally new and totally fuel economical honda and they boast that it gets 30 mpg like this was pure magick ...

35 freaking years later!

am i the only one thinking this is nuts?
screwy.gif Andy

The engines are more efficient today, but the problem is the cars now weigh 7,000 pounds and the average American weighs 300. If a modern car weighed 2,000 pounds and the driver and passenger each weighed 150 that Honda would get 45mpg. wink.gif

-Ben M.
SirAndy
QUOTE (airsix @ Sep 13 2005, 08:30 PM)
but the problem is the cars now weigh 7,000 pounds

nope, the car in the ad was some small-size compact. no SUV or anything ...
you know, toyota camry style car ... 30 mpg and they were mighty proud of it ...

what a heap of bull bs.gif

confused24.gif Andy
Brando
SUV - nearly 6000 lbs.

Our cars... 1800 - 2200 lbs.

Get down to the 1800lb mark, a nice 200HP motor... you'll get good fuel economy cruising smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Speaking of fuel milage .... Jake when are we going to see some results from the the Super 2 liter. 50MPG in a bug would be pretty cool.

Just don't let the Government find out they will make you stop and start driving a an SUV.
dmenche914
keep in mind in the good ole days before gasoline became oxygenated, the BTU content of the gasoline was higher, and thus you could travel more per gallon. When oxygenated gas was forced in californazia we were told in the news to expect 10-15% drop in MPG. Sure enough, I lost 3-5 MPG on all my cars that had been getting 30 -35 mpg.

So keep in mind the type of gasoline you use in your MPG comparisions.

The 1.7 engine gets considerably better mileage than the 2.0 engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.