Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you think I need new piston rings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I drained the oil in the 2.7 tonight. Look what I found!
Eddie914
Appears to have been a Mahle piston ...
Eddie914
I don't think Duct Tape will fix it this time ...
Eddie914
more carnage ...
Type 4 Unleashed
So, it's a 5 cylinder now, that makes it a volvo or an audi or saab, 1 of those have a 5 cylinder?. happy11.gif

All kidding aside, I see your pain.
sixnotfour
barf.gif
Bleyseng
wasn't it a MotorMeister engine?

now its a 5 cylinder, so Turbo it! biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Ouch

Have you found anything to replace it yet?

Dave
Eddie914
I have found another 2.7 CIS engine as a replacement. The seller got the engine as spare with a 914/4 he purchased. He decided to stay with the stock 4 cylinder engine so he sold me the 2.7.

Wish me luck. I'm hoping it arrives in about a week.

I'll install the 40IDA Webers from the KaBlammo engine.

Eddie
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (V6914 @ Sep 12 2005, 11:31 PM)
So, it's a 5 cylinder now, that makes it a volvo or an audi or saab, 1 of those have a 5 cylinder?. happy11.gif

All kidding aside, I see your pain.

Not SAAB, but don't forget Honda, Volvo and MB .................. The Cap'n
Brando
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Sep 13 2005, 07:34 AM)
I have found another 2.7 CIS engine as a replacement. The seller got the engine as spare with a 914/4 he purchased. He decided to stay with the stock 4 cylinder engine so he sold me the 2.7.

Wish me luck. I'm hoping it arrives in about a week.

I'll install the 40IDA Webers from the KaBlammo engine.

Eddie

KaBlammo is right!

Where did the motor come from? My dad is having a 'Motor Meister Grenade' put in my mom's SC...
pete-stevers
Any theories on how the engine blew, ohmy.gif
Eddie914
The engine was pretty tired when I bought it about two years ago. It smoked on startup, smoked on upshifts, had marginal oil pressure and leaked quite a bit ... although it seemed to have fairly decent power.

I knew a rebuild would be extensive and most likely cost more than I paid for the entire car. So I decided to run it "as-is" and see how long it would last.

I ran it pretty hard ... mostly on the track. I always checked the oil level and changed the Kendall 20W50 regularly. I added a front oil cooler and even ducted the cooler through the hood (this helped alot, dropping the oil temperatures from 235+ to 200+).

It probably dropped an exhaust valve. When the piston is forced to the top of the stroke with nowhere to go ... Ka-Blammo! I'm guessing that the valve guides were worn badly resulting in lateral forces on the valve stem, since the valves may not always seat squarely on the valve seat. Eventually the head pops off the valve.

I was hoping it would last a year. It made it nearly two.

Life goes on. Can't cry over shattered pistons.

Enjoy your life...it's the only one you'll get.

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.