Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint mystery solved
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
Well tore down the axle assembly preparing for the axle that should arrive today and what a surprise I got.

I though I blew apart the cage and and took out the CV but what really happened was that 2 of the bolts between the CV and the stub axle backed all the way out, one backed out half way and a rollpin fell out of the CV while it was flopping around and then finally the 2 bolts that were in the joint bent and broke!

This was obviously caused by not tightening the CV joint bolts properly.

Now I will have to get new bolts and washers for sure!

What's the absolute best locking washer for the job? OE? and where can I get them?

Oh and since I have to repack the axle that I'm getting what's the best grease?

See you guys at ECC!
type47
"best" CV bolt would be safety wired
Porsche Rescue
Pelican has the proper ("schnorr") lock washers and bolts. Dealer and other well known parts sources will have them as well.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Sep 13 2005, 10:05 AM)
This was obviously caused by not tightening the CV joint bolts properly.

What's the absolute best locking washer for the job? OE? and where can I get them?

Oh and since I have to repack the axle that I'm getting what's the best grease?

find the threads here about safety-wiring CV bolts. some think it's paranoid, some of us that do it think it's cheap peace-of-mind insurance.

the OEM Schnorr washers are the best. you can get them at the dealer, the Usual Suspects such as Pelican, or in quantity from hardware suppliers such as McMaster-Carr. there are several sizes, you want the 8mm if you are using 914 CV's. IIRC, they are properly installed with the 'point' of the cone on the CV side.

if that's wrong, someone please correct me, and please let me know why... i'd always done it the other way and fairly recently was convinced otherwise.

the OEM bolts are 12,9 and are highly stressed; replacement is prudent.

Grease: Swepco Moly or LubroMoly CV grease does it for me. there are some who have had acceptable results using non-Moly-bearing grease (e.g. the Mobil 'blue' stuff) but i don't trust it. perhaps i am in need of re-education on that point, but lots of people i trust use nothing but Swepco Moly and i see no reason to change. i just did a CV on the Subaru (tripods - weird...) with that stuff...
DougC
Hey I have a question on this... would the cool folks down at the local VW "performance" shop (not a modern delership) have the bolts and schonn washers that we need for the 914? Wouldn't old beetles and vans use the same? Those guys are soo much easier to deal with than the Porsche dealership or wait another week to get another order shipped to me.

Doug C
Jaiden
Well picked up my grade 8 12.9 bolts with allen heads from the local hardware distributor but could not get schnor washers, so I will try at the VW place on the way home.

So what's the concensus on gaskets? I can't find the gaskets at the local auto parts place and I have heard that you can use a rtv style gasket maker ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

What grade of Gasket maker will get me by to get to the ECC

I'll be cleaning inspecting and repacking the CV's on the axles that I'm getting today and I want to be on a victory cruise tonight aktion035.gif

I can't wait to run down the road!!
Porsche Rescue
Local vw place should have gaskets, standard 6 notch, 4 for bolts and 2 for pins.
They will have grease too, 3 oz tubes, one for each joint.
If you can disassemble, clean, repack 4 joints, reassemble axles and install by tonight you are a far better mechanic than I.
Don't put together without correct washers, 31 ft lbs torque.
Jaiden
I'm just doing the one side for tonight. The other side will be inspected for tightness and boot tears but will not be swapped out until a later date.

Now if only I can find a way to get rid of that nasty CV joint stink out of the garage
KenH
When putting the bolts in TRY real hard not to get any grease on the threads.

Ken
ArtechnikA
BTW -- we were in Stroudsburg 2 weekends ago for the Garlic Festival.
i know the local hype would have us believe this event is bigger than Gilroy's, but i hafta admit i am skeptical...

t'was fun tho...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.