Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My lightweight project update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I've been working to get the front half of the bodywork ready for painting. I decided to f/glass the driver's door and left front fender together. It would have been way too much work to make the door hinged. I did leave the rocker panel seperate on the drive's side. The passenger side has the door/fender/rocker all one piece. I also made the driver's door wrap around to meet the hood. Than I made a cover over the passenger side. This piece was alot of work. It mounts on the car sperate from the hood and door. I know it looks like I should be running on a dry lake somewhere.

I've been thinking of making the back end (fenders/trunk lid/targa bar) one piece and have it hinged and pivot up over the roll bar. Kinda like the 917s did. That would be a LOT of work.

Give me some feedback.

Paul
URY914
from the front ...
URY914
other side
URY914
Mike T
Absolutely first rate work. More pictures.

Mike T
URY914
up close
URY914
This is the start of the hood.
seanery
Looks good Paul!
Aaron Cox
cool. whats the powerpant in it?
URY914
A very tired -4.
But a new one is in the works.
After the paint is done, I'll get on the engine.
Qarl
Paul:

Looking good since I last saw it in June...

I say GO FOR IT on the rear deck mod. A flip-up back end would be neat... Of course I like anything extreme...

Regards,

Karl
cha914
Looks great Paul! I like the idea of the hinged rear...but it seems to me that it would be easier to make the piece hinge at the rear bumper, rather than up and over the roll bar...hell either way would be very trick.

I would love to see some bigger pics beer.gif

Tony
nebreitling
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 3 2003, 06:15 PM)

I've been thinking of making the back end (fenders/trunk lid/targa bar) one piece and have it hinged and pivot up over the roll bar. Kinda like the 917s did. That would be a LOT of work.

why not? you've already done this much work, i say go for it. i love the passenger cover.

your car is going to look beautiful when it's done.
nebreitling
where does the passenger side vent go to?
redshift
Fear the kite!

Why do you still have the targa bar? smile.gif

The tonneau thing looks excellent.

M
URY914
redshift- I want to keep the targa bar, I've seen other cars that them cut off and it doesn't look like a 914 anymore. It defines the profile of the car.

nebreitling- the vent go to a 6" hose that dumps thru the fire wall in to the engine cooling fan.

cha914- there won't be a rear bumper when I'm done. It will be open like a 917K. No taillights or bumper.

The tonneau cover was alot of work to make the mold and than get it to fit at the door and hood. I weights about 5 pounds but the cool factor makes up for it.

Paul
redshift
Yeah, I got ya on the profile, as I had a time trying to design a speedster/14, it's even harder to figure out a way to gracefully finish the engine lid area..

What color is the terror going to be in the end?

M
URY914
Your right, the engine lid area is higher than the "belt line" of the fender. So when you cut off the t-bar, it creates a problem.

It will be red (orginial color) with the black t-bar and yellow spoiler and rockers. The stripes of the Geman flag, top to bottom.

Paul
Jeroen
Hey Paul,

Nice work again!
The car looks a bit like those front engined Panoz prototype racers...

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
I've been working to get the front half of the bodywork ready for painting.

Paul, some of the hard core cyclists around here forego paint on their racing frames...cuz it weighs too much...

I wonder how much the paint weighs on a car...40 lbs? I wonder if their a lighterwight coating to protect from corrosion?
machina
paul,

I remember a few years ago when your car still had actual doors, that I asked you about stiffening the chassis. Did you ever add chassis stiffening plates or boxed rockers? I know some other guys add extra braces to the swing arm support etc. on a car that is as extreme as yours.

looks good,
david rosenbloom
Brad Roberts
Fiberglass targa bar.. it fools 99% of the people who walk up to my tube car. They think its steel.

B
URY914
I don't think the paint really adds that much to the weight. Even a gallon of paint would only weight about 10 pounds.

As far as stiffeners are concerned, I intend to add stiffeners in the form of bars to the back end. I'll tie the inside trialing arms ears and the upper shock area to the main roll hoop. I don't plan on adding plates or boxing the rockers.

My intent is to stay as light as possible and my engine will be in the 150-175 HP range. If I was running a 300 HP -6 I'd need all the stiffening possible. It is an autox car that doesn't need big ass NASCAR door bars or a full cage. I'm trying to keep the balance between weight/HP/brakes/stiffness somewhat equal.

Paul
redshift
Ditch the motor, and get a Briggs and Stratton then...

wink.gif

M
URY914
Yamaha KZ1200

RICE!!
Aaron Cox
MDB2.gif and then you got a full on gokart!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.