Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need pics of the Fresh Air Vent system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I am going to take this apart next weekend, I want to see what's inside before i open mine up so i know what to expect.....

i dont want some huge spring jump out at me or something......

got pics?
rhodyguy
what is the condition of the paper tubes that run from the longs to up under the cowl?

k
bd1308
they are complete...i have a bind in cable 2 and i tried to fix that bind (not knowing what it was from ) and realized that the internals of the fresh air box were jammed from leaves and crap( from what i hear this is common)....

so when i put everything back together cable 1 was a little loose, allowing air to frow through the valves when the lever was fully closed(left)

the pics will help me to come up with a gameplan to fix this thing...
Cano
Dunno if it helps, but if you are planning on coming in town my fresh air box is out, exposing all of the cables from the control boxes and control panel. Feel free to take a look see.

Would be a great time to check out your gas tank, as you will need to remove it to get to the fresh air box and related cables. wink.gif
bd1308
i thought one only needs to get rid of the expansion tank?

gonna be a long weekend

i'm coming back in to Louisville on not the 17th but next weekend.

i'll call you then to discuss meeting.
swl
just had a look at mine which has the expansion tank off just now. You might be able to work on it that way but it will be a heck of a lot easier if you remove the tank.
bd1308
seems like getting that tank out would be a pain....

how hard is it?

i'll try it with the tank in and then if it gets bad i'll do it the tank-out way...
SpecialK
Really not much to see inside the box except the blower motor and fan. If you want, I'll go snap a pic of one that's out and post it.

[duh, that was the title of your thread slap.gif ]

.....okay, I'll be back in a few.
SpecialK
Okay, I'm back....

with cover on:
bd1308
theres also a flap that directs the airflow...and a bunch of dirt and cigarettes and stuff from 30 years ago.

the lever in the middle directed the flow and now since it doesnt now i need to break that open...

SpecialK
Topless wub.gif
bd1308
thats a mean looking fan, but where in the world is the selector for where the air goes...?
swl
Depends on how long since the hoses have been off and how much gas is in the tank. It will all come out throught the top. remove the expansion and charcoal filter, unhook the guage and remove the strap. If you are careful you don't have to remove the neck. The neck is easy to take off but a little figitty to get back on. Lift part way out until you can get your hands underneath on the passenger side - really a two person job. Make sure the drivers side is low enough that you don't gush fuel. if your lines are old and you have replacements available you are probably best to cut them. They are the same cloth covered rubber hose that is used around the fuel pump and for the air system. Plug the lines into the tank and pull her out. Have some rust paint ready. It is not a high rust area under there but you might as well clean up what is there. Also POR make a sealant for the inside of the tank itself. Too late to get it for this weekend but something to think about.

There is an access port underneath if you cant get the tank high enough to remove the lines from the top. It is only about 3" around so it really doesn't help much if the lines are really stuck.
SpecialK
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 13 2005, 06:45 PM)
thats a mean looking fan, but where in the world is the selector for where the air goes...?

In a cardboard box in the top of my barn marked "fan parts" rolleyes.gif lol2.gif

Sorry Britt, couldn't help myself. slap.gif

It's raining right now, but if it stops I'll fetch the camera and take some more pics for ya.

-Kevin
bd1308
I just always was told that inside of the behr box there was a valve thing that would direct air flow....

since my car isnt going anywhere for two weeks, i'll take a look myself and see if i can find out...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 13 2005, 06:08 PM)
I just always was told that inside of the behr box there was a valve thing that would direct air flow....

since my car isnt going anywhere for two weeks, i'll take a look myself and see if i can find out...

the black plastic things on either side of the fan blower unit are the air diffusers

they take the heated air from your HE's/thru the longs/ up through the dash, and SELECT whether you aim it out the dash vents/defogger or out into the footwell...

they ALSO control cool air from the fan to the diffusers and AGAIN select dash vents or footwell.

SpecialK
Ohhhh.....Here's the flip side. The flappers "would have" been a couple of inches in from the edge of the outlets. This fan was used for an experiment, and the flappers were removed, along with the linkage that connected them. Really, nothing to be sceered of hide.gif when it comes to the fresh-air blower.
bd1308
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Sep 13 2005, 07:23 PM)
Ohhhh.....Here's the flip side. The flappers "would have" been a couple of inches in from the edge of the outlets. This fan was used for an experiment, and the flappers were removed, along with the linkage that connected them. Really, nothing to be sceered of hide.gif when it comes to the fresh-air blower.

i'm used to it man....

i have a fan club

smile.gif

i'll check it out. I'd just really hate to mess this up.
Rand
BTW, removing the fuel tank is a lot easier than trying to remove the fresh air blower without removing the fuel tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.