Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a good AutoX how to book
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have never done a autox before. But since I will soon
be a 914 owner again, I would like to try a few when
my local PCA has them. until that time I would like to
read up on the basics of autocrossing. What book(s) would you recommend? Thanks driving.gif
URY914
"Secrets of Solo Racing"

By Henry Watts

Classic Motorbooks probably has it.
Lawrence
The Racing Driver - The Theory and Practice of Fast Driving

by Denis Jenkinson
airsix
I'll second "Secrets of Solo Racing" as a good first book. Don't expect it to all make sense until you've been autocrossing for a while though. When you get to some events get some passenger seat time right away. Also, find someone experienced to walk the course with you. I found that to be very helpful. Riding shotgun with a good driver, and having a vet walk you though the course explaining the lines as you go will be the key to making sense of what you've read.
-Ben M.

ps - Don't be overly concerned about first impressions - my first time out on a course was as a passenger in a late '80's Carerra and the guy nearly scared me to death (and I don't scare easy). I stepped out of his car seriously reconsidering what I was getting into. But I'd paid my money, and like it or not I was going to at least try it. Then I took my first run behind the wheel and the heavens opened and light shone all around me, and I stepped right up to the edge of the Newtonian envelope and marveled as the rest of the world stood still for a moment, and in a flash it was over. Then I got back in line so I could put the hammer down again. And again. And again. And I grin for days every time I get to do it.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 3 2003, 06:25 PM)
The Racing Driver - The Theory and Practice of Fast Driving

by Denis Jenkinson

Heh,heh.......
I was a highschool freshman, sitting in study hall reading that book. The B-ball coach swiped it from me.
When he returned it he said "Didja notice that most of them race car drivers are refered to as " "the late" "?

Good book, tho. It was fairly new, back then, but so was I.huh.gif
ChrisReale
I say go to an event, study/walk the course, and give it a shot. You can read all the books you want, but until you put your ass in a seat and try, you wont make much progress. The first time I didi it (earlier this year, here i am talkning like a veterin rolleyes.gif ) I was all over the place. It started to make sense, and now I love it
Jeroen
Better spend your money on gas or parts or tires or beer instead of a "how to drive" book.
Just go and have fun. Have an instructor explain it to you. It'll be more usefull because he can let you FEEL what is going on. Can't do that with a book, and therefore a book is no good (IMHO)

Just go and drive. Ask for an instructor. Beg for shotgun rides. Talk to other drivers. And then drive, drive, drive... and drive some more driving.gif

Don't worry too much, go and have fun!

cheers,

Jeroen
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 3 2003, 06:18 PM)
What book(s) would you recommend?

yes, 'Secrets of SOLO Racing', 'Driving In Competition', and maybe Frere's re-issued "Sports Car Driving". although these two last are more oriented to "big track" events than autocross, they have lots of good tips, like course analysis. (a standard beginner mistake is to go too fast in the slow parts, and too slow in the fast parts -- followed by either braking too much too soon, or too little, too late...)

Jeroen's right, it's less theoretical than vicseral (Just Do It) but you -will- have a beter time if you know some of the terminology, know what to expect, and how to prepare for it.

there is no reason to drive faster than you're comfortable with while learning. we were all beginners once...

most PCA and SCCA regions have links to 'getting started in autocross' web pages, most of which are excellent. Reno Region SCCA and Riesentöter Region PCA for example...

this Sunday will be our first autocross in the 911, and i'm heavy into event-preparation mode. make sure the car is safe (tech inspection...) and reliable first - tinker with go-fast stuff later. check the oil, and the tire pressures - more than you run on the street. IMO - the Max Cold Inflation Pressure printed on the side of the tire is an excellent starting point - adjust from there as needed. mostly, just show up and learn to drive what you've got.
J P Stein
I like the idea of reading a couple books about driving.
It'll help keep you pumped up till you actually get out there.....then you won't remember any of it blink.gif

I've been meaning to get Henry Watts book.....God knows I could use a few "secrets".
There is no substitute for butt time, tho.
airsix
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 4 2003, 08:41 AM)
I like the idea of reading a couple books about driving.
It'll help keep you pumped up till you actually get out there.....then you won't remember any of it blink.gif

One of my favorite movie lines is from "The Ghost and the Darkness" Michael Douglas' character (Eliphalet Remington?) at one point says "There is a saying in prize fighting. Everybody has a plan until they get hit."

I agree about "get a book to keep you pumped". Part of having a good experience with a hobby is maintaining enthusiasm. Since Garold stated that he is "soon to be" a 914 owner again I figured he was asking for something to tide him over until that time. So, I figure the book(s) is a good idea too.
-Ben M.
mr914
There used to be a video "Autocrossing in the Fast Lane" which discussed converting a 914.

Cool video.

Now, if I can only remember who I loaned it to.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.