Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California 914 Purchase-Shipping Costs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
Anyone have experience shipping a 914 from California to Texas? What's a ball park price? Shipping seems to make more sense than driving 1700 miles in a car you've just purchased.
Porsche Rescue
Ball park for an enclosed carrier is .75 per mile. Cost $1700 for non-runner from Tennessee to Oregon and $1650 from Pennsylvania to Oregon. Both were carried by Intercity. They are one of the best and one of the most costly.
Aaron Cox
drive it! more fun that way!
Qarl
$650 AZ to FL in open carrier.

Karl
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(acox914 @ Aug 3 2003, 07:16 PM)
drive it! more fun that way!

Yes Yes! Road trip!! driving.gif
Jeffs9146
Drive it!!

Ask James Adams! He did the drive last week!

Jeff
Rockaria
Shipped: $350 from LA to El Paso Texas in an open carrier. It was picked up on Tuesday at the guys house and droped off Thursday at my house. Can beat that...

After a few weeks of owning it I was glad I did not drive it. Too many things were done wrong by the PO and I was new to 914 mechanics. The big problem was the Heater flaps were wired SHUT! Yes Shut! and it had regular fuel hose instead of high presure FI Hose on some of the lines.
redshift
$1500.00 LA to Chas. SC, took forever.

smile.gif

M
JWest
Drive it! I just got back and it was a BLAST!

I drove from San Francisco to Flagstaff the first day - an easy drive. The second day I was going to stop in Amarillo but it was going so well that I continued to Fort Worth (my destination). Got here at 2 AM.

Even though it was at least 104 outside in some areas, it was not bad in the car with the windows down.

I have a few bugs to get off the front bumper, but it's much better than some of the damage I have heard of from shipping companies (no personal experience).

If the car was sitting a long time or is a really unknown, you might be better off shipping as there are a lot of things to go wrong after all these years.
tod914
Cost me $950.00 from Ark to NJ by intercity (enclosed).

$1050.00 from Los Ang. to NJ by Dependable. Dont use them!!!
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 4 2003, 05:50 AM)
Drive it!  I just got back and it was a BLAST!  

I drove from San Francisco to Flagstaff the first day - an easy drive.  The second day I was going to stop in Amarillo but it was going so well that I continued to Fort Worth (my destination).  Got here at 2 AM.

Even though it was at least 104 outside in some areas, it was not bad in the car with the windows down.

I have a few bugs to get off the front bumper, but it's much better than some of the damage I have heard of from shipping companies (no personal experience).

If the car was sitting a long time or is a really unknown, you might be better off shipping as there are a lot of things to go wrong after all these years.

Sounds like my drive in November. SF to Ash Fork AZ first day. Then from there to Amarillo TX on day 2. Amarillo to Nashville on day 3. Home by 5 pm day 4 (SE Michigan). A great trip. I'd do it again in a minute! beer.gif
seanery
Curvie,

why did you go so far south?
GWN7
If it's roadworthy, drive it. Best way to enjoy the car and get it home. Take pictures on the way. Cut a stick to act as a "dead man" throttle, gives your right leg a rest on long streaches.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 4 2003, 07:55 AM)
Curvie,

why did you go so far south?

It was November, and I wanted to avoid any snow, extreme elevation, etc. Plus I would rather drive 4 days top off than 3 days top on. wink.gif
seanery
gotcha!
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 4 2003, 07:56 AM)
If it's roadworthy, drive it. Best way to enjoy the car and get it home. Take pictures on the way. Cut a stick to act as a "dead man" throttle, gives your right leg a rest on long streaches.

Listen to the King of the Roadtrip! aktion035.gif
Brad Roberts
I can deliver it to Temple for 500$ on a open car trailer behind my crew cab. (My lawyer is in Killeen)....

B
GWN7
Brad has the best offer (other than driving it) and he will probably fix anything wrong with along the way wink.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.