Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Nissan oil problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Oil light came on today.
Wife took car took a shop to add some oil.

he added 4 qts. ohmy.gif

We called Nissan...Car only takes 3.6 qts headbang.gif

Having 2 or so too many qts in the motor is how bad?

car is scheduled for an oil and filter change first thing in the morning, anyway.

KT

'03 Nissan Altima 3.5 ( SIX ) lol2.gif
bd1308
yeah man....if you overfill it it all flows to the last 2 cylinders and you have a four...

smile.gif

half quart...i dunno.

two....

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 13 2005, 06:20 PM)
yeah man....if you overfill it it all flows to the last 2 cylinders and you have a four...

smile.gif

half quart...i dunno.

two....

alfred.gif

you didnt check the oil trekk?

the guy assumed it was empty when you brought it to him??? and added 4 qts? ohmy.gif screwy.gif

Allan
I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal.

.4 quarts overfill confused24.gif

Oh, I re-read the post. So why not drain some out.
Cap'n Krusty
Overfilling a modern engine can, and will, eat up the converter, the MAF, the O2 sensor, and various and sundry other bits. I wouldn't drive it around the block if it had more than .25 qt. over the mark. The Cap'n
jnaughton
Overfill is not reccomended, as Krusty points out. However, prudent engineering allows a 25% ( 100% in mission critical, 200 % in life critical applications ) redundancy. So, a quart I would remove as soon as possible but not sweat too much. Anything more than that I would not run the engine.
JN
Trekkor
Thanks for the tips...I went out and hammered the thing on the back roads and it through a rod. ohmy.gif

J/K smilie_pokal.gif

I drained off about 2 quarts...all's well.

When my wife called me earlier with the oil light, I met her and checked the oil.

My friend with the auto shop was just around the corner so I sent her there alone.
Apparently, reading a dipstick is one of the more challenging procedures. cool_shades.gif

When she got home after about five miles of driving she told me about the four quarts.

I have lost all confidence in my mechanic of 15 years.

Hopefully no harm done.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 13 2005, 09:52 PM)
Thanks for the tips...I went out and hammered the thing on the back roads and it through a rod. ohmy.gif

J/K smilie_pokal.gif

i saw right "Threw" that one lol2.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 13 2005, 06:42 PM)
Overfilling a modern engine can, and will, eat up the converter, the MAF, the O2 sensor, and various and sundry other bits. I wouldn't drive it around the block if it had more than .25 qt. over the mark. The Cap'n

Yikes, through what means does this happen? I ask because I recently fixed a leaking valve cover gasket on my bro in-law's 99 buick century (3.1 V6.. terrible engine to work on, avoid it like the plague). Because of the bad gasket, it had about 8 quarts of oil/coolant sludge in it, and he had been driving it for a few days. I changed the gasket and drained it and put in new oil and filter, and new plugs while I was in there. Should I have replaced more things? (it seems to run fine now, with no check engine light)
maf914
My new Nissan Frontier V-6 calls for 5.5 quarts, so I carefully poured in a half of the sixth quart. I wondered if I should have just dumped in the whole quart. idea.gif

I had bought a case of 12 quarts, now I'm left with 6.5 quarts. wacko.gif

With the 914, I always use 4 quarts although the manual says 3.5 quarts. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.