Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-Brake is it hydraulic or mechanical
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I wonder if the e-brake is purely mechanical or if it would be influenced by air in the lines and other similar hydraulic issues

I ask this because after replacing by brake pads and a carved up rotor I have no e-brake function on one wheel and very little resistance on the handle.

I need t osee if it is because of the air or if it needs a thorogh inspection for problems.

I also have a mushy pedal and need to bleed the brakes again tonight.

Thanks
tat2dphreak
purely mechanical IIRC
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (echocanyons @ Sep 14 2005, 03:06 PM)
I wonder if the e-brake is purely mechanical...

I ask this because after replacing by brake pads and a carved up rotor I have no e-brake function on one wheel and very little resistance on the handle.

I also have a mushy pedal...

you have *all* the symptoms of excesive venting clearance...

the handbrake is 100% mechanical, but it doesn't move the inner pad *much*.
if the venting clearance is excessive, you'll run out of available motion before you achieve adequate pressure.

0.004" -- no more..
echocanyons
I thought the clearance was 2mm (0.078inch)?
ArtechnikA
NO.

it is not 2(!)mm and it is not 0,2mm.

it is wrong in the Spec Book, which is why it's wrong in the Haynes.
somebody 30 years ago typed "2" instead of "1" and it never goes away...

search for "venting and clearance" and you'll see the countless threads, every 2 months or so, in which this is discussed...
michelko
QUOTE (echocanyons @ Sep 14 2005, 11:25 AM)
I thought the clearance was 2mm (0.078inch)?

let´s make it a 0,2mm and you are right. wink.gif
( This say´s the factory manual)
smilie_flagge6.gif
tat2dphreak
one more thing to check is the cables, if the cable is adjusted too loose, it won't actuate properly... just to offer up another(though MUCH less likely scenario)
echocanyons
oops I meant 0.02mm

That is good to know and here I thought I screwed something up.

After 10yrs of 914 ownership I admit this is my first time changing the rear brakes (with the exception of the monoblock upgrade on my other car).
lapuwali
QUOTE (echocanyons @ Sep 14 2005, 11:49 AM)
oops I meant 0.02mm

That is good to know and here I thought I screwed something up.

After 10yrs of 914 ownership I admit this is my first time changing the rear brakes (with the exception of the monoblock upgrade on my other car).

It's not 0.02mm, that's way too small, and you'll probably have the brakes lock up from heat expansion. 0.004 inches is 0.1mm. The range in the later editions of Haynes says 0.004 to 0.008 inches, or 0.1 to 0.2mm. I set mine to 0.005" cause that's the thinnest feeler gauge I have, and they work fine.
echocanyons
0.004-0.005 is what I will use depending on how low my feeler guages go

Thanks everybody
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.