Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Stock 2.0 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
As stated before on another thread, I'm getting ready to drop my engine and replace it with a used 2.0. I'm hoping I can get some insight from you guys as to what I might expect to find "while I'm in there." In other words, what other things should I do while the engine is out?

I've already thought about the clutch and CV joint boots. I'm seriously considering powder coating the engine tin. I also have Stainless Steel heat Exchangers, and may need to replace one or both of my heater boxes.

Any other suggestions?
tat2dphreak
if replacing with a used engine(10k+ miles) then save the powdercoating and un-essentials IMO...

new clutch,(including machine the flywheel), change the engine tin seals(or at least check) check the fuel lines, new oil cooler...

look for rust...
jr91472
be very careful......many have trodden the path you now consider......if you don't watch out, your car will be on jack stands for 2 years or more..... lol2.gif lol2.gif

jk
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Sep 14 2005, 02:55 PM)
be very careful......many have trodden the path you now consider......if you don't watch out, your car will be on jack stands for 2 years or more..... lol2.gif lol2.gif

jk

agree.gif this is how my project started... I was just going to drop an engine in and install an interior and drive while I restore... 2 years later it finally moved under it's own power!
jr91472
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Sep 14 2005, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Sep 14 2005, 02:55 PM)
be very careful......many have trodden the path you now consider......if you don't watch out, your car will be on jack stands for 2 years or more..... lol2.gif  :lol2:

jk

agree.gif this is how my project started... I was just going to drop an engine in and install an interior and drive while I restore... 2 years later it finally moved under it's own power!

yep, but you are having a blast right?

back to the question:

replacing old fuel lines with hard lines seems to be popular (and potentially life saving) project. Not that I have done it.....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Sep 14 2005, 03:05 PM)

replacing old fuel lines with hard lines seems to be popular (and potentially life saving) project. Not that I have done it.....

it's a cheap, easy project too... I did it with $20 of aluminum tubing and an afternoon.
type47
replace fan hub and rear crank seals?
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Sep 14 2005, 12:05 PM)

Do you mean the actual fuel lines from the tank, through the tunnel and into the engine compartment?
Crazyhippy
That's what he means, have to pull the tank too (might be possible w/o but it's easy to do).

The factory lines through the tunnle are PLASTIC!!!! They have held up suprisingly well, but it is not that hard to change them, and if they fail it can be catastrophic.

BJH
McMark
And while you have the tank out get it boiled/acid dipped to remove all the rust flakes that are getting into your injectors. wink.gif And no, fuel filters don't stop them all.

Clean and paint the engine bay?
rhodyguy
adj the valves, check end play, fan belt, replace various cork gaskets, consider a new head temp sensor(check # on sensor, and get correct one), new phenolic blocks for the intakes, flywheel o-ring, flywheel crush washer, new flywheel bolts, throw out arm retainer, toa bushing, flywheel pilot bearing and felt washer, fi tip seal, fi base seal, inboard motor mounts, change tans gear lube, change oil & filter, clean up fi harness connections,...and on, and on...

whether you paint, pc, or do nothing to the tin, removing it allows you to clean things up. good op to clean the oil cooler. the inner fins on the clys are prob loaded with oil and crud. i did the math on the powder coating. i used a pretty exspensive industrial grade rattle can paint when i did the front suspension. add in sandblasting plus a good primer, and the cost was not much less than the pc. i don't have to think "i wish i would have done the tin" when it's all together.

k
Carlitos Way
Can someone tell me where to find a good powder coat place in Southern California? Sounds like powder coating is the way to go. One concern however... doesn't it affect the heat disippation capacities?

Regards,

C.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 15 2005, 12:32 PM)
Can someone tell me where to find a good powder coat place in Southern California? Sounds like powder coating is the way to go. One concern however... doesn't it affect the heat disippation capacities?

Regards,

C.

D.E.S. Systems

33001 Calle Perfecto

San Juan Capistrano, Ca. 92675

949 489 0300
Cheers, Elliot
billd
QUOTE (McMark @ Sep 14 2005, 07:12 PM)
And while you have the tank out get it boiled/acid dipped to remove all the rust flakes that are getting into your injectors.  ;)  And no, fuel filters don't stop them all.

Can you suggest a good place in the bay area to have a tank boiled and acid dipped. Im in the process of redoing my EFI and might as well do this while I'm at it.

----Bill
bondo
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 15 2005, 12:32 PM)
One concern however... doesn't it affect the heat disippation capacities?

The tin only guides the air, it doesn't dissipate the heat. Don't powdercoat the cylinders, heads or oil cooler and you'll be fine. smile.gif
Crazyhippy
There's a Great Ceramic coater in Camarillo of off Central Ave, i'll dig up the # when i get home.

BJH
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Sep 15 2005, 02:54 PM)
There's a Great Ceramic coater in Camarillo of off Central Ave, i'll dig up the # when i get home.

BJH

For those of us who are not "hip with the lingo" what's the difference between ceramic coating and powder coating?

thanks,

Carlos
SpecialK
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Sep 15 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Sep 15 2005, 02:54 PM)

BJH

For those of us who are not "hip with the lingo" what's the difference between ceramic coating and powder coating?

thanks,

Carlos

Ceramic coating the engine tins would be a waste of money IMHO. It's meant more for exhaust systems to "hold the heat" in the exhaust, increasing the velocity of the exhaust gases, and lowering the engine compartment temps (somewhat). It looks great, but is VERY brittle. Powder coating would be the way to go, and there's a rainbow of colors to choose from (including one that looks just like "ceramic").

Since I'm doing all of the engine clean-up crap myself (this weekend as a matter of fact), mine'll be getting a couple of coats of Rustoleum Satin Black, and then on to more pressing issues.... smash.gif welder.gif headbang.gif
Carlitos Way
So, other than vanity.. is there a reason to ceramic coat SS Heat Exchangers?
rhodyguy
ceramic acts as a thermo barrier both for containing heat and shielding components from heat. give a look at www.techlinecoatings.com. the ss he's i would'nt do. a member is going with the ceramic on a set of 6 headers. we'll see how it works for him. i having a few items done (ceramic) as well. details when they come home.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.