Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way OT: Need a recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Hello All,

Please humor my way off topic request, but I have gotten lots of good advice from this board and I figured here is as good a place to start as any.

I have a '91 Jetta Gli 2.0 16V with only 104K miles on it. It needs new shocks and struts. I want to get the handling as close to stock original with the least cost. What brand of shock/strut should I look at and what should I expect to pay?

Thanks for humoring me and thanks for your help.

- Joe
anthony
Bilstein HDs are pretty good. I put them on my '94 Jetta with H&R springs. The setup totally transformed the ride for the better. You can figure on about $500 for Bilsteins.
rhodyguy
joe, not wanting to spend a fourtune on my 85 w/ 235 odd k, i just went to les swab. i think all four w/ alignment, installed (life time gaur), ran me around $250. they're gas struts. i was more than pleased with the ride. i went and saw a movie while it was being done.

kevin
KaptKaos
Kevin,

not wanting to spend a fourtune on my 85 w/ 235 odd k, i just went to les swab.

What is les swab? confused24.gif

- Joe
rhodyguy
a tire, brake, shock/strut outfit in wa, ore, id, and i thought cal also. no engine, trans, electrical, wiper blades, etc. i spelled it wrong. here's their website. www.lesschwab.com.

kevin
kafermeister
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Aug 4 2003, 01:11 AM)
I want to get the handling as close to stock original with the least cost.

I can't remember what the prices were but a local-to-me parts store had BOGE gas struts in stock for my early '90 GLI. I like the way it rides and it handles as good as new (eccept for the bad front wheel bearing). $65 each seems to ring a bell. The total bill (with me installing them) was well under $300 with tax. Buy new rubber stops and upper strut bearings for the front and install them at the same time. Check your front wheel bearings at the same time. Best to do it all while you have it apart.

I've still got the boxes for the rear so I can post the model #'s when I get home if you want them.

Rick
KaptKaos
Rick,

I've still got the boxes for the rear so I can post the model #'s when I get home if you want them

Yes please.

Thanks,
Joe
kafermeister
No problem. It will be a few hours yet. I've got an after noon meeting and will be leaving for home thereafter.
kafermeister
My rear struts are BOGE and are part number "27-528-F".

I did a search for the number in Google and found "http://www.porttuning.com/Performancestore.htm", which says it's the Boge Progas.

HTH
Rick
Carrera916
Hey Kapt,

I used to do these kind of work of upgrading VW Rabbit suspensions and cost does decide the quality of ride.

The least you could do, go for the Turbo Boge, it's gas strut/shocks with new stock springs if yours sagged a bit. They work wonders and does decent job of damping and holding up when corner hard.

You can also go either Bilstein or Koni HD with a bit stiffer springs such as Techonics, Neuspeed, etc BUT stay away from sport shocks as they're a bit stiff...I have seen Rabbits/Golfs come back with cracked windshield since the car flexed a bit with very stiff suspensions. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

good luck
jerry
KaptKaos
Jerry,

Thanks for the advice. I am not looking to modify the springs/ride height. Just looking for a streetable solution.

I am leaning to KYB as they are cheap. Any thoughts?

- Joe
anthony
Same as on the 914. They kind of suck. Get no less than the Boge Turbos.
kafermeister
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 4 2003, 11:28 PM)
Same as on the 914. They kind of suck. Get no less than the Boge Turbos.

That's my experience also.
grantsfo
I've never had real good luck with KYB. Tokico makes some good shocks and Bilstein tends to be a good choice for these cars based on my expereince. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to stiff shocks. My Toyota Echo rides on a set of Koni Sports adjusted to firm. I take it you are looking for something less extreme.

I did a quick search on www.shox.com They have several good shocks for your car in my opinion. Sets of 4 (2 struts and 2 shocks) in Bilstein or Tokico for under $300. Sach/Boge replacements set of 4 for under $200.

If your going cheap and want stock like ride - those boges look like the ticket.

I have had very good expereinces with this company. They had my Koni sports for my 914 to me very quickly and were the cheapest of all the sources I researched.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.