Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE VILLAGE IDIOT ESCAPED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
OK I thought I took the wires off the back of the the instrument paenl correctly, but it appears to be a giant Cluster you know what.
Can anyone show my a picture (color prefered) of where the wires by color attach or plug in? My tach isn't working, and my fuel gage is maxed.
Help me please..... headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
Best bet: Check the wiring diagrams. The small numbers by where the wires on the diagram should be repeated on the back of each gauge. Make the color/number combinations in the real world match those on the diagram, and you should be set!

--DD
lapuwali
What year car? Do you have an oil temp gauge? They're not all the same...

Crazyhippy
they vary from year to year, and possibly between motor sizes

I'll be happy to take a pic if a '70 1.7 will help

Off the top of my head, tach should be black w/ purple, ground is brown, and black w/ blue is lights.
Turn signal indicators are white w/ green and white w/ blue (later cars)

Dont hold me to these, it's been a while.

BJH smilie_pokal.gif
TINCAN914
Sorry should have been more clear.
Car is a 74 1.8.
TINCAN914
confused24.gif Missed one. Oil gage, well there might be one, to be honest I don't know for sure. The cluster with the fuel gage has something that might be, but if it is, it is a warning light, and not a typical arm gage. confused24.gif
Carlitos Way
Someone from the board has a link to some awesome scanned color wiring diagrams. If they don't post in the next day or two, drop me a note, and I will try to find my copies and e-mail them to you.

Carlos
Crazyhippy
Pelican Electrical diagrams page clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

74 they went to current flow diagrams which take some time to learn how to read, but are pretty easy once you figure it out.

BJH
TINCAN914
Thanks for all the help, I think I can figure it out when I get home...
Appreciate it!!! aktion035.gif
Carlitos Way
Someone from the board has a link to some awesome scanned color wiring diagrams. If they don't post in the next day or two, drop me a note, and I will try to find my copies and e-mail them to you.

Carlos
TINCAN914
Well I'm almost there.
Fuel \gage is working, but not the tach. THere are three terminals on the back at thebottom, and one upper left. Upper left has a brown wire on it, the lower three terminals are black blue black purple and red and white. I can't figure in what sequence they should be in order for the tach to work. Help anyone?
Dave_Darling
Do you see the numbers on the gauge right by the electrical terminals? If not numbers, how about symbols?

Red/white is power (only when the key is on). Look for a number like 15 or 30 (I forget which one is switched and which is constant), or a symbo like +.
Black/purple is the signal from the coil. I think the number is 1, or there might be a "G".
Brown is ground--always. I forget the number for brown, but it might also be a symbol with three or four parallel lines across, with taller lines above and shorter lines below, making a triangle shape.
Black/blue is illumination light power. Should go "hot" when the headlights or parking lights are on. That should go to a separate light bulb that slides into the back of the tach--probably that "one way up near the top", IIRC.

--DD
TINCAN914
Thanks Dave, just had a chacne tolook back eating dinner. I looked at the back but was not able to locate numbers of signs. I will look again tomorrow.. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.