Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anyone here in China?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I've been in Nanjing China for about 4 days now, and just thought to ask if anyone from the club is over here...I leave for Shanghai on Friday, and then back to Tokyo on Sat..then home. (Thank God!)

There are a BILLION VW 'Santana's (Jetta) but I doubt I'll see a teener. The way people drive over here is something to behold. I've seen 2 Mercedes, 2 BMWs, and 3 Audis...the rest are a VW of some kind. 0 Porsches...I can't imagine anyone in these areas owning one.

Just checkin...
SpecialK
"Anyone here in China?"

No, but I did have special fried rice, and mongolian beef for diner last night! chowtime.gif
Spoke
What's the air quality like now? I was in Nanjing about 3 years ago and it was horrendous. Visibility was about 1/2 mile before the smog obscured everything. On the way to the airport when we left, it was like being in a continous fog but is was smog. Quite a shame but China is all revved up with manufacturing and becoming a world economic power and they don't seem to care.

Spoke
tdgray
No but I am in South Bend, IN yawn.gif

Visting a client... major snore fest.

Sorry to hear you are over there... weather is nice here today... perfect day for a drive in the teener. Not that I would know huh.gif

Get back soon... I feel a sanding party going on very shortly...

BTW... I have to go to Japan in January for two weeks. sad.gif
dlo914
i got back in the states 2 weeks+ ago...yea tons of santana 1000,2000,&3000s. Hyundais sonatas are taxis. Quite a few Audi A6's w/ 1.8T & A8's. Also, saw an early taildragger. Here's a pic of a Jetta at the Great Wall:
dlo914
o yea forgot about this other P-car:
dlo914
and the VW Polo:
xitspd
biggrin.gif I am in California as we speak, but I have made 157 visits to Japan. Let me know how long you are going to stay and what cities you will visit. I will advise points of interest. ohmy.gif

Dan
Elliot_Cannon
I've been to Shanghai many times. One of my favorite cities. The air quality in Beijing is about the worst. They had to cancel an air show last year because the visibilty was about 600 meters. Lots of coal fires for cooking and heating. Shanghai looks to be the next Hong Kong. Lots of VWs and Buick minivans. I'll be in Shanghai again on the 1st of Oct. If anyone is going to be there, I stay at the Hilton. Dinner is on me.
Cheers, Elliot
MecGen
Hey
I have heard that in Japan, girls love westoners with Blonde hair Blue eyes

Any truth to this rumor ? Sorry I'm single beer.gif

Later

beerchug.gif
zouo
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Sep 14 2005, 02:32 PM)
I've been in Nanjing China for about 4 days now, and just thought to ask if anyone from the club is over here...I leave for Shanghai on Friday, and then back to Tokyo on Sat..then home. (Thank God!)

There are a BILLION VW 'Santana's (Jetta) but I doubt I'll see a teener. The way people drive over here is something to behold. I've seen 2 Mercedes, 2 BMWs, and 3 Audis...the rest are a VW of some kind. 0 Porsches...I can't imagine anyone in these areas owning one.

Just checkin...

My family has an apartment in Shanghai. It is the by far and away the most cosmopolitan city in China. You won't see any imported old cars in China as I understand there are restrictions on importing old vehicles but in Shanghai you will see plenty of expensive new imports: Ferrari, Hummers, Rolls etc..

Shanghai air isn't great but it is coastal so there are some very clear days. For bad air quality I urge you to visit Wuhan. It's a automotive & steel city located between Chongqing and Shanghai and on a bad day the air goes yellow - like sulphur. I ended up with a cold and a respitory infection after only a one day visit. Nice. wacko.gif

Keep your eyes peeled for the real local automotive talent: A "Red Flag". China's 100% homegrown automobile. The old Limos are increasingly rare and it wasn't so long ago (20 years) that they were one of the few cars on the road.

user posted image
CptTripps
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Sep 14 2005, 10:22 PM)
o yea forgot about this other P-car:

So I guess there are at least TWO Black Cayanne Turbos in China...I just saw one when I left the hotel tonight. The license plate was different, so I don't think it's the same car. THAT would have been funny!
dlo914
Hong Kong had all the Jap Import Exotics: Nissan Skyline (R32 correct me if im wrong)
dlo914
and the Toyota Corolla Levin:
dlo914
it's all the hype in the drifting society, pretty much an updated version of the Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86):
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 15 2005, 02:17 AM)
Clue: Women like men with (money) a certain air, (cash) they really go for a guy who is sure of hisself. (cubic dollars) If you want to hook a good one, (moolah) you should show them you are (a) kind (of attorney.. or dot bomb survivor) and have a sense of humor. (credit through the roof)

unsure.gif

miles, what so you know about women? are you sure you aren't confusing the opposite sex with female goats? sheeplove.gif
Joe Bob
So....when you go chasing wenches after dinner.....are ya hungry after an hour????

Miles keeps whispering in my ear...... dry.gif
Joe Bob
Of course..."I" doan lissen to people/ghosts that doan exist......
xitspd
QUOTE (MecGen @ Sep 15 2005, 01:54 AM)
Hey
I have heard that in Japan, girls love westoners with Blonde hair Blue eyes

Any truth to this rumor ? Sorry I'm single  :beer1:

Later

beerchug.gif

rolleyes.gif Sushi is really great!
dwillouby
I was in Bejing a few years ago. Almost got arrested/shot by army guard at gov. site! Very dirty city Too many poor people, too many cars.
David
grantsfo
Last time I was in Shanghai a very good looking Chinese woman drove me around in a Cayenne Turbo. Her driver wasnt available to drive so she had to drive her own car. Damn! I just hate it when my driver doesnt show up for work!
Joe Bob
No pics....no story.... cool_shades.gif
CptTripps
EVERYONE in China has a driver. The company that was hosting us had two.

That's what happens when labor is cheap. I thin I heard someone say he made about $2,500US a year. Shit...my cleaning lady makes more than that!
Eric_Shea
Hey... I'm in China!

I'll meet you at the wall around 4:00. I'm the blonde wearing blue jeans. wink.gif
Joe Bob
Captain..next time take the Crazy Mormon with you and leave him there..... dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Sugar, sugar, sugar... Oh my heck! Cheese and crackers... you make one comment about an ugly car and Z wants to export me. (he's just jealous cause I gotz 30 wives all under the age of 16) w00t.gif
Mrs. K
cool_shades.gif RIGHT.....and does your REAL wife know about that? screwy.gif

Lisa lol2.gif
Joe Bob
We should get a collection of his greatest hits and post them.... cool_shades.gif

MY wife KNOWS I'm nuts.....but does Mrs. Eric's know?
kilo123
hey i just visited over the summer hong kong, dalian, guangzhou and beijing. mercedes, vw, bmw. are all over the place. didnt recall seeing any porsches. but did see a lambo.. dealer in beijing. dalian is very clean and beautiful.. not too much to do but good for its clean seafood. oysters there are real nice. food is real cheap. spent 500$ for beijing and dalian. went to osaka two weeks ago.
dlo914
actually spotted a Bimmer & Landrover dealership. unsure.gif
RustyWa
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Sep 17 2005, 12:51 PM)

That's what happens when labor is cheap. I thin I heard someone say he made about $2,500US a year.

Benefits of belonging to the Party?
Lou W
David Bowie

Little China Girl
Joe Bob
QUOTE (RustyWa @ Sep 18 2005, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Sep 17 2005, 12:51 PM)

That's what happens when labor is cheap. I thin I heard someone say he made about $2,500US a year.

Benefits of belonging to the Party?

In China, the party will find you....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 18 2005, 11:16 AM)
How much would it cost to send Aaron to China, one-way...

Elliot?

M

you cant put dangerous or explosive packages on planes....

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 18 2005, 11:25 AM)
We won't feed you for a week... it'll be ok.

M

im outside of the specified max size dimensions...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.