Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix 9/14 914 Dinner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Good turn out for a week night. Eight people, five 914s.

Clay showed up from Ft. Woth via Yuma, John was there in his sharp Delpi Green car with a 2270 Raby, Greg/Susan and Gerard were there representing Ravenna Green owners, Andy was there in Wild 6 (slightly modified '70 914-6 with a 3.6L), and Mike W was made the gathering in his beautiful yellow car. Mike D showed up in the red VW and promised that he would have one of his two 914s on the road soon.
porsche944Turbo
Pretty nice cars man, by the way, u got any info on 1974 914, 2.0 4 cylinder. Im not sure wheter or not to buy it. Any response is appreciated.
bryanc
Doh! missed another one. I glad to see you had a good time.
MoveQik
I had a good time as well. Special thanks to all you guys for getting under the hood of my car and attempting to get it back on the road. Clay, I'm sure that is just what you wanted to do while you were visting Phoenix!

The tow truck showed up about 45 minutes later. Then on the way home we get pulled over in the tow truck and get a speeding ticket. As the cop is writing the ticket he laughs and asks, "Does anyone else think it is ironic that you get caught speeding while you are towing a car that says SLO FUN on the plates?" What an ass....

It ended up taking about two hours and $203 to get home! headbang.gif
MoveQik
Here is mine, Gerard's and John's. John's car is more impressive in person than I ever imagined! It really is an awesome car...
MoveQik
John's car. Greg and John in the background.
MoveQik
Greg's new car. Sorry about the size of these. I resize each one but they are still coming up bigger than planed.
MoveQik
Andy's Wild 6
Flat VW
I had a good time as well. Special thanks to all you guys for getting under the hood of my car and attempting to get it back on the road. Clay, I'm sure that is just what you wanted to do while you were visting Phoenix!

I am not so sure, if we could of provided Clay a few more parts, tools and a little more time he would of had that car of yours apart in no time at all. smash.gif

John

Flat VW
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Sep 15 2005, 06:11 AM)
The tow truck showed up about 45 minutes later.  Then on the way home we get pulled over in the tow truck and get a speeding ticket.  As the cop is writing the ticket he laughs and asks, "Does anyone else think it is ironic that you get caught speeding while you are towing a car that says SLO FUN on the plates?"  What an ass....

It ended up taking about two hours and $203 to get home!   headbang.gif

I LOVE a cop with a sense of humor..... bs.gif

Jeez, that is a lotta dough Mike, did the tow guy expect you to pay his ticket? slap.gif

John

P.S. Please let us know what was wrong with your car when you discover it.
MoveQik
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 15 2005, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Sep 15 2005, 06:11 AM)
The tow truck showed up about 45 minutes later.  Then on the way home we get pulled over in the tow truck and get a speeding ticket.  As the cop is writing the ticket he laughs and asks, "Does anyone else think it is ironic that you get caught speeding while you are towing a car that says SLO FUN on the plates?"  What an ass....

It ended up taking about two hours and $203 to get home!   headbang.gif

I LOVE a cop with a sense of humor..... bs.gif

Jeez, that is a lotta dough Mike, did the tow guy expect you to pay his ticket? slap.gif

John

P.S. Please let us know what was wrong with your car when you discover it.

$40 some bucks to pick it up. $3.50 per mile. We were 46 miles from my house. I'll bet Clay was back in Yuma before I was home in Scottsdale.

Jack from Stuttgart is coming out to my house to pick it up and take it back to the shop for me for free. I think it will be an easy fix....just not for me!

I'm merely a driving.gif and not a smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Flat VW
Well, Mike what was it? chatsmiley.gif

John
gregrobbins
Just got off the phone with Michael. He is going to pick up the car in the morning and let us know the issue.
ClayPerrine
What I found when checking out the problem was that we were not getting spark. The points were opening and closing, but sometimes it would make a nice fat blue spark, and other times nothing. I suspect it's either the condenser (first choice) or the coil. I didn't have the tools to do any further troubleshooting there in the parking lot.

Personally, I would replace the points with an electronic ignition conversion. We have had a pertronix on Betty's car for 6 years now with absolutely NO problems whatsoever.

Wild 6
I had a great time. We need to do it more often.
MoveQik
Well guys....below is a pic of my problem. The wire for this connector was bad. You couldn't see it but the wire inside the sleeve of the connector had broke off. So at a glace it looked fine but inside it was useless. You could have even pulled on it and it would have looked like everything was attached because the plastic sleeve was holding the wire in place.

I gotta thank Jack at Stuttgart Southwest for picking my car up for free and finding and fixing the problem for free as well. I know it was an easy fix but it still cost him some time.

The car runs like a champ now. driving.gif
ClayPerrine
In a really weird way that fits the symptoms I was seeing. I would take the coil wire off the distributor, and put it under the harness to the coil to hold it over the sheet metal for testing. That would get a big, fat spark. Put it back on the distributor, and nothing, becauses I moved the wiring when I put the coil wire back.

headbang.gif

Wish I had a test light the other night. I could have saved you the cost of the wrecker. headbang.gif headbang.gif

MoveQik
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Sep 16 2005, 02:24 PM)
Wish I had a test light the other night. I could have saved you the cost of the wrecker. headbang.gif headbang.gif

This just adds insult to injury.....I HAD A *!@$! TEST LIGHT IN MY TOOLBOX!!!! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
ClayPerrine
stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
snflupigus
damn. somebody email me next time this happens! i been gone for a bit... driving around zois' old dakota vs the speedster made me momentarily forget about it.
TravisNeff
Sorry I missed out on the dinner, had to work. At least I drove my 914 around for the day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.