Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inpecting a dormant 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I've been looking for a 914 for a month or so and have read all info I could find including the buying guides. I live in the southeast and selection is limited, the lucky dogs on the west coast seem to have a good supply.

I've come across several candidates which have decent bodies with limited rust, but are not running. The owners have stated the cars were running when parked, however that obviously doesn't mean anything.

Is there anything special to look for in a dormant 914?
Any method to check non-engine systems, like electical, clutch, trans, brakes?

I'm tempted to take my chances on a particular deal with a good chasis and body.

Thanks
GWN7
Can you take a battery and see if it turns over?

If so, do a compression test to see how the motor is. All the readings should be within 10% of each other. If so good chance it's not bad and can be brought back to life.

beerchug.gif
double-a
agree.gif

do a comp. test and see if the engine will turn over. if it's been sitting for years, then you should assume the gas has turned to varnish and plugged everything up. change the oil as well, after you get it running. as stated above, get a battery to test the electrical system thoroughly. inspect for rust in all the problem spots.

last dec i bought a 21-year dormant 914. now it's my daily driver, some 2600 miles later... so it can be done. i had some help to resurrect mine, so you might consider asking around on this forum to see if there's anyone in your area who might be able to go with you.

good luck! clap.gif

~a
blitZ
Taking a battery and doing a compression check is a good one. Should allow a general check of the electical, also.

double-a
I read your progress thread, it's very encouraging. Hope mine turns out as well.

Thanks
double-a
QUOTE (blitZ @ Sep 15 2005, 07:04 AM)
Taking a battery and doing a compression check is a good one. Should allow a general check of the electical, also.

double-a
I read your progress thread, it's very encouraging. Hope mine turns out as well.

Thanks

thanks, haven't updated that thread in awhile, and there's still lots to do. biggrin.gif i had mucho help to get it going (jim chambers, known here as porsche rescue), so i would definitely suggest trying to bribe someone into coming with you.

watch out for rust. if the rust is severe, it may not be worth it, as repairs can take lots of $$ and time. i was lucky enough to find one that had been parked and had no rust to speak of.

keep us updated on your progress!

~a
bd1308
πøπø¨ˆ´¥˙∫ßµµ˜ß∫∑∑¥´˙∂≤˜∫ç˚∂˙∆߬≤˜∂˚¬∆¬˜∆≤˚∂˙∫˙∂∫∂¨øπ∑π……øøøø

just say that to your car and it should start working....

ya have to put some ππ into it though for it to work, scream it if you must.
sixnotfour
Fuel Lines in the engine compartment is the biggest Danger , inspect care fully when you add power to the system, for leaks.

The one I had sittng for 15years fired right up but the gas lines had pin hole leaks in 2 lines.
it had 3/4 tank so gas stayed pretty good.

Another I have had no gas and everthing was bad in the fuel sytenm.

Good Luck smilie_pokal.gif
Midtowner
Yeah, check the plastic fuel lines carefully, especially directly below the battery tray. Also, I'll bet the brake rotors are rusted. Replace them. I brought back to life a 2.0 after 16 years in storage. Fuel injectors leaked and needed replacing. VERY expensive. Speaking of fuel, check the gas tank for rust. You may need to have it professionally cleaned requiring removal from the car. Best of luck to you. These cars are WAY fun to own and drive! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
gas will turn into goo after a few years. you should *not* attempt to start the engine right then and there if the car still has old gas in it.

you'll kill the motor if you do so ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
blitZ
I know these cars are a blast. My older brother bought one new in 72. I got to drive and work on it occasionally. From what the owner has stated, the car has been sitting for 2 years or so.

Thanks
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Sep 15 2005, 10:40 AM)
gas will turn into goo after a few years. you should *not* attempt to start the engine right then and there if the car still has old gas in it.

you'll kill the motor if you do so ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

the pink car still has a full tank of something in it...

smells like gas but looks brown in color and flows slower than gas....

how do you dump this stuff?

hijack over
double-a
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 15 2005, 09:44 AM)
how do you dump this stuff?

your local haz waste dropoff should take the old gas... put it into gallon milk jugs. my car had about 1/4 tank of 20-year-old gas, so i just hoisted the tank, disconnected the lines, and dumped it into a container. it was really nasty.

if there's a bunch of gas in there, you could get a pump to drain it. or even use the car's own fuel pump to pull it out.

~a
bd1308
are facet pumps the suck variety or the blow variety?

in other words, are they gravity fed or not?

the pink car has a facet pump.
Rusty
You're on the right track... a clean chassis is worth far more than a solid used engine.

If you find a really pristine body, snatch it up. You can freshen a motor far cheaper than you can do major rust repair.

But bringing one out of hibernation? Check rubber fuel lines... bleed the hell out of the brakes (even a few years, and the brake fluid will look like a cafe latte), clean the gas tank, change the fuel filter. Pull the plugs, squit some oil in the cylinders. Pour in some fuel, get a good battery, and fire that bad boy up! w00t.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.